I assess myself at a 40% chance for Brown. You?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: I assess myself at a 40% chance for Brown. You?
By Hi on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:23 pm: Edit

AP Examination Test Scores
AP English Literature and Composition 5
AP English Language and Composition 5
AP Spanish Language 5
AP Chemistry 5
AP Biology 5
AP Calculus BC 4
AP Calculus AB 5
AP Statistics and Probability 5
AP Physics B 5
AP Physics C Electricity and Mag. 4
AP Physics C Mechanics 5
AP Environmental Science 5
AP Latin Literature 5
AP United States History 5
AP European History 4

Average: 4.80

SAT II Subject Test Scores
§ Chemistry 790
§ Biology 800
§ Writing 780
§ Math IIc 800
§ Spanish 800

SAT I Reasoning Test Scores
§ Verbal : 780
§ Math : 800
§ Combined : 1580

ACT Test
§ Reading 34
§ Writing 32
§ Science 35
§ Math 36
§ Composite 34

PSAT/NMSQT Test
§ Verbal 79
§ Writing 76
§ Math 80
§ Total: 235
§ National Merit Semi-Finalist

GPA: 4.0 Unweighted Average/4.93425 Weighted
Class Rank: 1/409

Extra-Curricular Activities
§ Spanish Club 4 years President/Treasurer/Treasurer/Member
§ Latin Club 4 years President/Vice President/Quaestor/Tribunus
§ Environmental Club Founder 3 years: President/President/President
§ FBLA 4 years President/VP/Reporter
§ Newspaper 3 years: Editor-In-Chief/Editor/Staff Writer
§ National Honor Society President and Community Service Advocate
§ Tutoring 2 years 500 hours
§ Big Brother Mentor Program 100 hours
§ Observatory Volunteer 200 hours
§ Summer Work Experience: Cashier Last Summer
§ Summer classes at Columbia, Cornell, Community Colleges

Brown Valedictorian Acceptance Rate: 34%

By yow on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:25 pm: Edit

it must've cost a lot to take all those AP tests.

By college crazy on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:31 pm: Edit

i'm sorry, that's just sick. i'm withdrawing my brown application right now.

:)

By dontknow on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:37 pm: Edit

im not quite so sure about his chances...a lot of ivy league/upper tier schools this year now want more well rounded people. ie people who can play sports well, play an instrument well, or do something unusual especially well. i know a girl in my school with perfect scores across the boards/4.0 GPA and she got deferred from UPenn simply because she wasn't well rounded enough. From what I see...you're basically a bookworm, and ivy league schools can get those anywhere. You'll have to show them you're unique. WAY TOO MANY people have those types of scores. More than you'd ever imagine.

By yourchances on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Obviously you are smarter than I am and you've already calculated your chances, so I'm going to have to say that you have a 34% chance of getting in.

By ? on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I used to play an instrument but I found that I wasn't to great at playing, and I also suck at sports. Anything else I can do to differentiate myself?

By Sophomore on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Hey I don't play an instrument or sports either! (sucky@both) similarly. But I'm a sophomore so I still have time! What can I do?

By my opinion on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:50 pm: Edit

You're not a student, youre a machine. Your life revolves around getting into college. It is very obvious. If I were an ivy league school, I would do everything in my power not to accept you. But unfortunately, I am not an admissions officer. As much as I hate to say this, you probably have a decent shot at Brown. But if they think the same way I do, then you will be rejected. You should apply to some less competitive schools which don't care if you're a machine.

By ? on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

I don't get it, I'm a nice person, I am very involved in my school, and I have high test scores? Why is everyone so 'mean' about it? I didn't do anything to you

By pathetic on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:03 pm: Edit

why are you making this all up? it's pathetic.
you obviously feel the need for compensate for something... is my gaydar blinking?

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

you're in... I'd say 90-95% chance

By humpty dumpty on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Oh, come on, he/she has a heck of a lot better chance then 34%. Scores aren't everything, but only about 1000 college bound seniors manage to get a 1590 or better. That combined with a stellar academic record is an impressive accomplishment. Editor of the school newspaper is a great EC, and he/she has excellent community service. This is definitely not your typical bookworm.

I say it all comes down to a essays and recommendations that convey that he/she would add to the community at brown. Things like a sense of humor and positive attitude.

By im not THAT mean on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:46 pm: Edit

i think you would get rejected only if you presented your application as you did here. DO NOT emphasize your scores on your application. You're the kind of applicant where the essay is huge. PROVE to them that you took those classes not so they'd "look good" but because you have a passion in a certain topic (do you). Also, my god, did you PAY for all those tests?? They are going to expect a stellar applicant if your parents are so wealthy...so de-emphasize that part..otherwise good luck, and dont think ppl arent being "mean". They are just like admissions officers...some are bitter that they didnt have the money for all the APs.PLUS, it IS hard to believe one can have a social life with 15 APS, all those SATs AND ECS. Tip: make your essay funny. if you cant, then be as creative as you can.

By humpty dumpty on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Please just list your gpa to two decimal points. Yes, you'll have to round down. Hopefully you can see why 57 decimal places might come across as perhaps preoccupied with gpa....

By Hi on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 01:52 pm: Edit

I didn't take 15 AP classes. For instance, AP English I took 2 AP exams, and for AP Physics I took 3 AP exams all lumped together (yes....that was a long day) I also took 2 AP exams for AP calculus,

By me on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:54 pm: Edit

except you can't take both AP Calculus AB and BC in the same day. which also means, you can't take both in the same year. it's in the bulletin. read it.

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 04:18 pm: Edit

that's sick

By loser on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 09:12 pm: Edit

why are you making this all up? it's pathetic.
you obviously feel the need for compensate for something... my gaydar is in red-alert!

By urechances on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Brown is a college that does not like to see someone that acts as if he/she is a machine. I would assess you about a 35 percent chance. you are just another applicant in the bunch

good luck tho
i got accepted to brown but i chose harvard instead

By •••• you on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 08:48 am: Edit

this is the type of kid that has his tighty whiteys ripped clear of his ass crack by the offensive line on the high school football team.

By Hockeyman2003 on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:21 am: Edit

No sports? That's going to hurt you. Healthy mind and healthy body. Don't be a bump on a log!

You have like a 85.6% chance dewd! GL ya won't need it!

By ha! on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Hockeyman has no clue. Don't listen to the previous post. I'd like to see where HE gets into college (laugh out loud!!)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page