Cornell early decision chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Cornell early decision chances
By Belugas_64 (Belugas_64) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Hi everyone. Sorry, I'm another one of those idiots really scared about getting into a certain college. And obviously, you know that that college is Cornell. So I was wondering if you guys know if I have any chance of getting in.

I am applying to the Cornell college of engineering early.

3.55 GPA (4.40 weighted)

1370 SATs

680 SATII Writing
720 SATII Chemistry
800 SATII Math IIC

5s on AP Chemistry, Calculus BC, Computers AB, Statistics

No legacy, woot woot

Maybe above average teacher recommedations, nothing incredible.

Montgomery Blair High School magnet program student

So what do you think? Am I screwed? Personally, I think I am screwed. My counselor told me that Cornell was a reach school. So be it.

By Belugas_64 (Belugas_64) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Um...help please? Please please?

By Callofthewind (Callofthewind) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Ur in, don't worry about it. Cornell is more of a safety for you.

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I wouldn't say that Cornell is a safety for the VAST majority of applicants...however, you do have a good shot.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Don't worry. I, too, feel screwed, and can feel my heart breaking-- before they've even told me my status.

But I don't think you are screwed. You have an 800 on the math IIC. Hopefully, anything below an A on your transcript is not in math or science, and your SAT breaks down into a math in the 700s. I don't know much about the engineering school, though-- but my friend got accepted with a class rank outside of the top 10%.

By Jaybert (Jaybert) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Cornell is not a safety for him at all, it's more of a reach actually. Below average SAT scores, and no mention of rankings, EC's...

That said, if you don't apply you will have 0% chance compared to at least some chance if you do

By Belugas_64 (Belugas_64) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Hehe, thanks for the opinions guys. Any second opinion helps.

I did get 800 on SAT I math. Unfortunately, on my transcript, I have a B in Magnet Functions (precalculus, trig, and algebra II in 2 semesters), B in the first semester of Algorithms and Data Structures (AP Computer Science AB), B in Magnet Analysis 1 (AP Calculus BC), and B in Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and LISP.

I'm just riding the fact that I'm a magnet student. My stats do suck. Thank you Jaybert for being harsh. Seriously. Not to say don't thank you for those of you who encouraged me, every comment helps.

By Belugas_64 (Belugas_64) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Oh crap I'm worried again. Maybe it's because I'm hungry right now. I'll regret this later, but I want some more opinions. So please tell me what you think if you have free time at the moment.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page