Chances : Princeton/Cornell/Caltech/MIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Chances : Princeton/Cornell/Caltech/MIT
By Aequensys on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:55 pm: Edit

I am an international student, whose native language is not English.

My Scores are :
Maths 790
Verbal 630
------------
Maths II 790
Physics 750
Writing 670
------------
GPA 9.84/10
------------
Rank 1/25 (Took 1st prize each year in my class)
------------
Olympiads :
*Mention - National Olympiad of Physics
*Participated Natinal Olympiad of Physics( 3 years)
*Participated - National Olympiad of Computer Programming (1 year)
*1st Prize - County Olympiad of Physics (3 years), Mathematics(1 year), Computer Programming(3 years)
---------------------------
Passed CAE(Cambridge Advanced English) Exam with an "A"
---------------------------
What are my chances of being admitted to the universities above ?

By wow on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

wow thats a damn small high school you go to

By Aequensys on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 02:10 am: Edit

That's not my high school- that's my class.
There are about 200 students of my age in my high scool...but High school doesn't have rankings.
If it had, I would probably be 1/200 (I am 1st in my class, which is the best in the High-School)

By p on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

In my opinion, you are in at Cornell. Caltech and Princeton -- probably not. MIT is a possibility.
What are you planning to major in? What country are you from?

By seeker on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

'Class' in the applications context usually refers to the entire cohort of students your age in your school. Participating in National Olympiads is good, but did you manage to win anything? What about your extracurriculars and other activities?

By Aequensys on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:53 pm: Edit

I won a Mention in the Physics National Olympiad in the 10th grade.
Also forgot to mention my AMC score last year :
99.5 !!! (yes , 0.5 less than the limit to qualify for AIME)
Extracurricular activities :
-Played tennis for 6 years
-Participated in a basketball SummerCamp
-Manager of #traian IRC channel
-Invited in 2 live local TV shows
-Won a Winamp Skins design contest
-Desiged the webpage of #traian Channel

By seeler on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:27 pm: Edit

I wouldn't include the #traian stuff unless the channel is part of something useful, like a charity or an entrepreneurial group. Winning the Winamp skins contest doesn't sound very convincing to say the least unless it's very hotly competed and organised by a well-known corporation/organisation, and even then I wouldn't list it anyway.

By asas on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:30 pm: Edit

ummm,. dude, a 99.5 on the AMC last year was bad, really bad, it was the easiest AMC in years, a 99.5

By Aequensys on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 06:47 am: Edit

It was the 1st time I participated, besides, English is not my native language.

By CornellGrad on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

with a 630 verbal, I'd say your chances at Cornell are less than 50 % (which is still good). I'd almost forget about the other schools.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:24 pm: Edit

cornellgrad if u dont mind me asking, in what yr did u apply and what were ur stats?

By Collegeboard on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Your chances are very low at Princeton, Caltech, and MIT (20%). Regarding Cornell, you have a 35% chance. Sorry!

By dang on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Aequensys, you have a great shot. You're amazing at math and science. The AMC score is not a big deal. The test was easy, but a few mistakes bring down your score so it's not a big deal. National Olympiads are tough and very, very impressive. You're in at Cornell (it's almost a back-up), the others are unpredictable. Princeton unlikely, MIT maybe, but you still have a very good shot. Good luck.

By quarky on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Dude wake up. You guys don't even know what you are talking about! 20-35% chance at a school like Caltech is not bad at all, considering its admission rate is something like 13-14%. What some stupid people like "Collegeboard" are saying is that your chances are better than those of an average applicant (otherwise, they would have said your chances are 13-16%, depending on which school they are talking about). Aeq, you have a good chance and should definitely apply. I am applying to Caltech with a 550V, so don't worry about it. I know I have low chances, but YOUR 630V is a very respectable score for an ESL student. I am wondering how I got two writing scores of 730 despite my 500, 540, and 550 Verbal... hmm..
Best of luck!

By dude on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Noone on this board has gotten into Caltech yet, including a few 1600's and state science fair winners.

By cornellgrad on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Hopeful...I'm sort of a wierd case, so my stats probably wouldn't help...anyway, I matriculated in the fall of '98. 1210 SAT 1, 700 SAT 2's, 3.8 gpa from a poor california public school...a few AP's, a couple varsity sports...the difference for me was an excellent essay (the admissions office even noted this) plus extreme dedication to one aspect of the sciences (including research) in high school...it got me in at Stanford, UC Berkeley and Pomona College as well...so don't let people say test scores are everything! Anyway, like I said you probably have around a 50 % chance which is pretty good, but most Cornell students I know (especially those coming in during the last two years) have higher scores, more EC's etc than you...so flip a coin and good luck. Also, if you're motivated, you'll do well at any of those places assuming you get in...I graduated with Distinction in research and High Honors in Biology.

let us know what happens...

cheers,
cornellgrad '02

By Aequensys on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:46 am: Edit

10x for the advice everyone, I'll do my best...I also receved en ecouragement from a friend who receved admission last year from Princeton. His SAT I was 1320(700M/620V) and he had slightly better SAT IIs than I did except Writing, where he said I have a good score for an International student.
I 'm taking the AMC again this year...but it'll probably be too late to affect my chances (it's in february).
BTW, good luck to all you people out there, who r also applying to college !

Oh ! And a "Merry Chrismtas" to you all ! :)

By Aequensys on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:51 am: Edit

One more thing : I was thinking of also applying to Union College...Have any of you heard of it ?It's just because they specify from the start that international students can waive the application fee. I just want to see how Union is seen over there, in the States.

By bra on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 12:19 pm: Edit

I think you've got a decent shot at Cornell. Caltech seems a little hard to get into. Very few international students make it in; but of course, there's no harm trying. Good luck dude.

By Aequensys on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I have read a conational's guide to study in the US who was studying at Caltech...However,he did not mention how hard it was for him to be admitted

By sinbushar on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

question...isn't the AMC a US contence...AMERICAN mathematics competition...if you're foreign..how/why are you taking the AMC?..just pondering...

By Aequensys on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 05:25 pm: Edit

My highschool is one of the top highschools in my country, so it was selected by the AMC directors as a candidate hishschool for the AMC and AIME.

By Jabzy on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 05:48 am: Edit

What else ?

By Omkar on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:40 am: Edit

Which country? This affects the worth of the National Olympiads. For example, in India any rank <50 in a national math/science olympiad (thousands of qualified people compete) is damn good but anything under 10 may not be prestigious in another country.

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Well, you are excellent in all areas except standardized test scores. I'm not trying to bring you down. A 1420 is excellent, but there are many other applicants with higher scores. Your class-rank is excellent, as well. I'd say you have no problem with Cornell, but your chances improve if you retake the SAT I and raise your score closer to the 1500-1600 area. Good luck. :)

By union on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Aequensys, back to your question about Union College (Schenectady, NY), I live about 5 minutes away from there. It is a great college, not well heard of, because it's a small liberal arts school. I think with your scores and grades, Union would make a good backup school for you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page