Early Admission chances at CMU Design school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Early Admission chances at CMU Design school
By Headhoncho (Headhoncho) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Few weeks back I made up my mind that CMU would be the school of my choice. However, I discovered about their Early Admission process couple of days back and since have been pondering hard. Being a junior, my current stats read:

- GPA: 3.8 unweighted (4.5 weighted)
- AP World History 3 (sophomore year)
- AP Comp. Science 5(freshman year)

Currently taking AP US History, AP Eng 11 and AP Psychology.

I am scheduled to take the December 6th SAT and am expecting 1300-1400 range.

Extra Curricular:

* Won 1st place in regional Science Olympiad "Search the Web" contest in 8th grade (not sure if it's much to "brag" about;)

* Writer for official school newspaper

* Founder & Editor of a NEW school newspaper (now "competing" with the legacy school newspaper)

* Founded a design firm in my freshman year of HS. First year revenue was in $15,000-$20,000 range. Since, it has only gone up.

What do you think as far as my chances go for early admission at CMU School of Design?

STRONGEST POINT:
My design portfolio, I am quite confident, will be impressive as I have done 100s of original designs in past two years for REAL-WORLD clients. And secondly, designing is something which really intrigues me and the design program at CMU seems ideal. I intend to do double-major in Communications Design and Human-Computer Interaction.

Bring in your thoughts-- much appreciated:)

By Headhoncho (Headhoncho) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

By the way, am out of state. Not sure about how much that matters. Would be interesting if someone could shed some light on it.

Also, I won't be proactively seeking financial assistance as far as scholarships go.

By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Which school of CMU are you planning on applying to?
The Fine Arts School?

There isn't a school of just design.

Good luck is all I can say, and I think they require an audition.

By Headhoncho (Headhoncho) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 02:38 am: Edit

School of Design comes under the School of Fine Arts at CMU.

They have *optional* audition which is basically going over the portfoloio. As I stated, my portfolio will carry some weight due to the works that I have done in the past couple of years pertaining to the area of design.

Keep your thoughts coming in.

By Headhoncho (Headhoncho) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

*bump*

By Headhoncho (Headhoncho) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

*bump*

By Headhoncho (Headhoncho) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:03 am: Edit

Anyone? Doesn't appear like many here know much about Carnegie Mellon or their Design:(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page