Can somebody evaluate my stats? I need serious help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Can somebody evaluate my stats? I need serious help
By Md09 (Md09) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

650V 630M (retook it Nov 1st..I think I did better) SAT IIs: 710Writ 690USHist 650WrlHist
I'm 3rd out of 276

EC's (kinda unusual)and awards
-parliamentarian of the biggest (and most prominent) club in school
-eucharistic minister (it's a catholic school so it's a BIG honor to be one)
-NHS
-TAPPS Academic Team/Competition (I was district champion and 5th in state last year for history)
-choir (Soprano I; our choir has been invited to the Vatican to sing and to compete at national
choral events)
-I teach CCD classes and have volunteered at the library over the summer (around 75 hours total for 2 summers)
-AP Scholar; I won various science fair awards, and exemplary membership award (for that club where I'm the parliamentarian)

I know my stats aren't great but the thing is I've only been in the US for FIVE years and my parents aren't rich in whatever way (my dad is a groundskeeper and my mom is just a teacher). I applied early to Yale because my mentor urged me to and also because they have a strong history department and I wanna pursue that as a major in college...So, can somebody just tell me FRANKLY, what my chances? So I could at least end my fantasy of becoming a Yalie now if the prospects look bleak

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Again, as I don't like to give "chances" posts, because I could never read your application, but the chances are honestly not that great.

You say you want to be a History major, and you were 5th in state in some award, but why are your SAT: II scores so low as a result?

But don't lose hope.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Other than becoming a Bulldog, what are your other college aspirations/plans. Where else?

By Averageasian (Averageasian) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

With a 1280 SAT, even if you gained 100 points, 1380... Ivy leagues would laugh at you. By this time, if you have not applied to either EA or ED, your chances of getting in, even if you are godly, is nearly impossible. You aren't rich either. So they would have to provide for you. Although in some state colleges, socialeconomical problems can help you, i doubt this really applies for the Ivies. 3 out of 276 is pretty good, but what percent of graduates go on to 4-year colleges? Best of the worst doesn't say a lot.

What race are you? If you are like a one-eyed african-eskimo, it could help you. What state do you live in? Why don't you apply to some in-state colleges? Seriously though, i don't think you should aim that high. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to apply, but keep in mind that people with much better stats get rejected.

Good luck

By Md09 (Md09) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

georgetown, univ of chicago, bryn mawr, boston college

P.S. The SAT IIS? I have absolutely no idea the wrlhist one I took when I was a sophomore (first time ever that I took the SATs) but I had a 5 on my AP US Hist exam

By Md09 (Md09) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

99% goes on to 4-year colleges

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Um, Ivy leagues would not laugh at you with a 1380.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Averageasian- It would be nice to be a little more sensitive to Md09.

Md09, unfortunately, your chances at Yale are slim :(. Your SAT scores are a bit low, your SAT II score for your prospective major is not very high either.

HOWEVER, do not be discouraged. Just TRY your best and apply to Yale and see if you get in. What is the worst that can happen? You might receive a rejection letter. The crazy guy from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre isn't going to be trying to nail your ass.

Even if you don't make it to Yale undergrad, apply Yale for graduate school if you plan to go and see what happens.

Take care.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page