I applied ED to Cornell... will I get in???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: I applied ED to Cornell... will I get in???
By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

My stats:

White, Jewish male with a very Jewish last name. I am a senior obviously at a very competitive public HS in Northern Virginia, we are nationally known and regularly send kids to ivies.

The numbers-

SAT:
1400 (760m, 640v) - second try

SAT 2 (OUCH!!!):
Math IIC 680 (retook Nov 1)
Writing 670
Physics 670

AP exams:
Have taken US history and Psych, 4's on both.

Grades:
Freshman and Middle school GPA -3.0
Sophomore GPA -3.8 (2 B's)
Junior GPA -4.25 (All A's, 2 AP classes)
Overall- 3.67 (on a scale of 4.0)
GPA w/o frosh year- 3.95

I sent in a copy of "interim" grades, which are basically half of first quarter... luckilly, I had all A's...

my school doesn't rank

Am taking an extremely challenging course load senior year (5 AP's total, including 2 sciences)
So far I have all A's, although it is unlikely that my school will send the first quarter grades to Cornell before Nov 15th.

ECs-

Work:
I have held down a part time job for the past two years and have been working 15+ hours a week.

Major Awards:
3rd place at State Science Fair
3rd place at Intel International Science Fair
ISEF Finalist
A few math awards as well as local science awards

I have excellent recs and VERY GOOD essays (well, my four short 250 worders are OK, but my long essay is INCREDIBLE).

Do you think that my LOW GPA will hurt me? I hear that most colleges don't care about freshman grades... in that case I would have above a 4.0 which I suppose is fine. Does anyone know if Cornell looks at them seriously??

Also, my Grandmother went to Cornell if that matters, but she didn't give em a dime.

I am pretty sure I got alteast 100 points higher on my IIC, I totally can't believe I bombed it the way I did...

Thanks again all, I am REALLY looking forward to your feedback!!!

Also, what are my chances at the folling schools, assuming I get rejected:

Safety:
VA Tech
James Madison

Match:
UVA in-state
William and Mary in-state
Carnegie Melon

Reach:
University of Chicago
Columbia
Penn
Princeton (SUPER reach...)

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

You'll get into your matches and safeties (except Carnegie Mellon isn't really a definite one). Your reaches are certainly reaches, but anything is possible; you are in the ranges for those schools.

By Georgee (Georgee) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Why would you go to Cornell over UVA at an in-state price? Baffling. For your sake, I hope you don't get in. You'll get into UVA which is a better school and much cheaper. Just go to UVA and get your parents to pay you the difference between Cornell and UVA's tuitions. You'll be way better off and you'll get a better education. It's not that Cornell isn't a great school, which it is, but it has no convincing case over UVA. However, I guess if you're really set on the place, good luck!

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

First of all, UVA doesn't have a major that I am interested in... secondly my high school is like a feeder school for UVA... I want to get away from these people...

Thirdly... I want a place that will CHALLENGE me. Cornellians work harder than student at any other college... especially a place like UVA...

Again, nothing against UVA, it is probobly my #2, it is just, Cornell is SO much better...

Anyway, so, do you think I have a shot???

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Cornell is the greatest-- hands down. It's an amazingly fun school on top if its challenge. I just wish December would come already, although I'll have to have a good chunk of a 30 page paper done by then, and so I'm torn.

By Chibi_Gab (Chibi_Gab) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Yeah, you've got a shot - just cross your fingers and pray

Competitive Highschool NoVa? You're not a TJ-SciTech kid are ya?

I'd say Cornell is just what you listed it as: a reach with a shot - and reaches are darn good to have (I have my fair share to) -- it's a toss-up on admission, possibly yes, possibly no - you're stats are similiar to mine

Being from a competitive highschool will help, and so will your grueling Senior year schedule (I had 5 AP classes and 7 AP tests Junior year -- Have fun, it's a blast -_-)

Junior year GPA will definitely help you

I wouldn't expect much trouble with your matches or your safeties - have you looked at Mason as another safety or is it too close to home?

By Istalam (Istalam) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Look Cornell is a fake ivy, seriously, its not taken seriously. Ok i exxagerated. Its good but still, i can understand how u dont want to go to UVA. Cornell is a nice place. Just please Dont by a TJ kid. I swear TJ kids are the stupidest "smart" kids in existence.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

I think that's very funny, considering Harvard has the most grade inflation out of any college. I mean really, what is the point? You're at the most respected school in the country--the place where the geniuses supposedly come from--and you need your grades inflated? Sure, Cornell may not be taken seriously by many people, but to the people who matter, like grad schools, good grades at Cornell speak volumes-- you've earned everything on your transcript, and you've worked incredibly hard to do so. Plus, it's rewarding and a fun place to be.

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:52 am: Edit

I don't go to TJ...

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

bump...

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

bump, last one...

By Istalam (Istalam) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

i agree 100% with the harvard remark.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page