Chances at Tufts

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Chances at Tufts
By Wheresyourpride (Wheresyourpride) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

Ok here are my stats...

SATs - 1300 (720 Verbal, 580 Math)
SAT IIs - Writing 700, French 690, French Listening 700, Bad math IC and IIC (both under 600)

B+ Average, I attend a very prestigious and competitve college prep school, I live in Kansas, I have really good recs and good essays (or at least I think so)

Editor-in-Chief of Yearbook, Varsity Field hockey, did an AFS in France one summer, I am the co-head of a program that tutors 5th graders in an inner-city school, Involved with a cappella groups, 12 years of piano with several awards.

Do I have a chance ED? If not, other schools I should try? I like Boston a lot...I'm thinking about BU.

Thanks guys!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 02:17 am: Edit

The ETERNAL Tufts admissions stats link (so you can follow along), which gives you chances based on class rank and SATs:
http://admissions.tufts.edu/admstat.htm
verbal SAT: 34%
math SAT: 18%
class rank... who knows, as you are a private school. Now, as you are in Kansas, you may have a slight advantage... SAT scores are lower on the average, so the numbers I quoted are probably a bit off. You are also applying early, which helps... so I would give it a reasonable shot, could go either way. One of my roomies did get in with similar SATs, just reversed (she's an engineer).

As a Tufts alumna and lifelong MA resident, some other good schools to look at, in the match/safety category:
*BU - huge, in the city, no campus
*Boston College - smaller than BU, suburban location, about 30 min from Boston, Jesuit
*Brandeis - suburban, a little smaller than Tufts, great pre-med and pre-law programme
*Wellesley - obviously an excellent school, more of a reach for you
*Smith - excellent school, about 90 min from Boston, probably more of a match for you - you can get in more likely than not
*Mt. Holyoke - all female school near Smith, a bit smaller - match/safety for you
*Babson is one of the top business schools in the country if you are interested in that, in Wellesley
*Bentley is another good business school, in Waltham (same town as Brandeis)
*Holy Cross is excellent, in Worchester
*Clark, Lesley, Emmanuel, Northeastern all have good reputations
*There are about 50 colleges in Boston alone... so you can probably find one... the above ones are the more prestigious

By Wheresyourpride (Wheresyourpride) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:43 am: Edit

Thanks so much AriesAthena for all the information! could I email you if I have any more questions about Tufts?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

You're welcome, and certainly you can email me.

By Horseman (Horseman) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Ariesathena (Ariesathena), I see the perecentage of ed applicants fell from 42% to 38%, also for the regular pool. Is the ed pool getting bigger and Tufts has to reject alot more people, or is it the quality of people applying to Tufts more academically fit? Is it also a lot of people want to go to international relations? Ariesathen, do you know any thing about the physics department in Tufts? Do think there are great professors and the surroundings are beautiful like everyone says? Thank you for your help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page