How do I get to the Ivies from here?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: How do I get to the Ivies from here?
By D10thmuse (D10thmuse) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I am a junior in a public high school in GA. Sorry this is long :)
SAT I: 1550 (800 v, 750 m - I've only taken it once. Should I try again?)

SAT II: none yet. i don't think my counselor knows they exist :), but I'm taking chem., math IIC, and writing or English language at the end of this year.

GPA: 4.43 weighted. Something like a 95 or 96 unweighted. I've taken the hardest courses available at my school and plan on going to the local state university next semester.

AP's: biology 5, comp sci a 5, english language 5, u.s. history 4 (oops). I'm working on comp sci ab as an independent study.

AP and honors Courses:
9th: honors bio I, english, algebra II, others...
summer: Sewanee University young writers conference
10th: ap bio, comp sci a, language, u.s. history; honors analysis (trig/precal/stat)
summer: Ross mathematics program (a blast!)
11th: ap calc ab, art history, chemistry, world history
??? <-suggestions?

EC's:
Varsity rifle team (rookie of the year:10, captain:11, and female: always)
Math team, mu alpha theta, science olympiad, acadec, robotics team, NASA involvement program, Beta, others...
Tutoring (over 100 hours) underprivileged children in all subjects
Staff writer for local newspaper, helped develop section for teens by teens
SADD web communications / public relations officer
NJCL

The bigger Awards etc:
NASA student involvement program: national winner on two teams: 10, experiment on international space station: 11
Published author for statewide writing competitions anthology: 9, 10
National History day national competition: 9

I just got into USAMTS competition (another thing rural GA is painfully unaware of), and I was wondering if anyone knew of any other fun (and helpful) competitions like this?

Before this year I really never seriously considered where I'm going to go to college. I want to go to an ivy league school. My 'reaches'/ 'dream schools' are Harvard, MIT, Yale, Stanford.

Do I have any chance? And what can I do to improve my resume?
Thanks!!! :)

By D10thmuse (D10thmuse) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

by the way, can anyone suggest other schools?

By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

i think you'll get in... wink wink

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

The USAMTS problems are horribly inconsistent. They will have some really fun and interesting problems one month, and then bog you down with boring or trivial questions the next month. For instance, I do not like this most recent set of problems at all, and not because of the difficulty.

Get your teacher to sign your school up to take the AMC-12 test. It is well run and always has very solid problems. There are other tests you can take depending on your performance on the first ones

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

does AMC-12 help your collegea apps?? I scored 105.5 on it my junior year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page