Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Dartmouth????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Dartmouth????
By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

Hey, I wanted to know what you guys think my chances will be at Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Duke, and Dartmouth. I applied to Stanford EA.

I'm a white girl, I go to one of the best public schools in the state, and I live in the 'burbs. :)

*SAT - 790V 800M (1 time)
*SAT II Math IIC - 780
*SAT II Bio - 780
*SAT II Writing - 760 (they hated my essay, I aced mult. choice)
*AP Bio - 5
*AP Environmental - 4
*AP Microeconomics - 4
*AP Macroeconomics - 3 (I know, I know)

*Freshman year - 2 honors (all that was offered)
*Sophomore year - 4 honors (all that was offered)
*Junior year - 4 APs + 2 honors (whew!)
*Senior year - 4APs + an independent study.. I'm teaching myself college level genetics.

*Overall GPA: 3.98 (unweighted, one B+, an 89.8%)
*My school doesn't rank, and even though my counselor says I'm top 1-2% out of 268 kids, she's only allowed to put that I'm top 5%.

*National Merit Semifinalist, AP Scholar w/ Honors, MEAP Scholarship Award Winner, School Academic Achievement Award 9-11

*Varsity track and cross country (but out of commission due to a bone density disorder), Summer Running Club my junior year, National Honor Society, Leader of my school's Culture Club 11&12, Used to dance competitively ages 3-15

*Volunteered at a special-ed school and the public library. Work 15 hrs/week all year - child care. Worked 20-30 hrs/week during the summers of 11/12 as a lifeguard.

*Good recs from my anatomy teacher and my AP environmental science teacher (who is also my independent study consultant.)

*I attended a one month international peace-promoting seminar in Sweden last summer w/ a program in which I am involved. I wrote my essay about the seminar, and it's really good, not cliched at all.

*Lastly, this will sound totally immodest, but for schools that allow interviewing, I come off really well. Meaning, I'm not an antisocial, stuttering nerd who locks herself in a room with her computer. :)

Thanks so much for input; I appreciate it a lot!

By Kupolu (Kupolu) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

I would be surprised if you weren't accepted to Stanford EA. Good luck, I applied EA there too ;-)

By Kupolu (Kupolu) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

I would be surprised if you weren't accepted to Stanford EA. Good luck, I applied EA there too ;-)

By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I'm crossing my fingers.. Good luck to you, too!

By Jangro (Jangro) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Not a chance in hell. SAT's are a little weak (what happened on the Writing??????)
AP's suck
How could you score a 3 on economics? Are you stupid or something?
I don't want to be mean, but you seriously have no chance at any of these schools. Have you considered community college?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Great job being a pessimist, Jangro. Ill give you that 3 in econ is amusing but doesn't amount to a hill of beans' difference. I could also gripe about the lack of math AP's but they don't matter either. You're solid. Enough said. GL with the acceptance letter :)

By Jr8 (Jr8) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

good luck! i have almost the exact same stats as you and similar ec's as well, i listed them on my thread "chances at ivys and others." I'm applying to stanford, yale, and dartmouth, too, although i'm going RD for all the schools I'm applying to.

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

Great job on recognizing sarcasm, Vsage

By Averageasian (Averageasian) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

Marry me plz

By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 08:07 am: Edit

lol, I'll consider it average.. anyone else?

By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

guys, I hate those people who just say something like "HELP ME PLEASE" on their post to raise it to the top.. but I am desperate, so I have succumbed. I need more opinions, please!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page