Using AA to my advantage ~~ Any Tips

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Using AA to my advantage ~~ Any Tips
By billybob on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I am a mexican america, i come from a semi middle class family. One parent is a high school graduate, the other is a college grad. Now what exacteley should be emphasized in essays or applications to maximize my acceptance. I realize that it may not sound fair to others, but I am a URM not by choice but by birth and rather than sitting around bitching about hows its unfair, i will simply make the best of it. Being the punchline in Mexican jokes isnt fun. Nor is being poor. Although we arent poor, we arent wealthy compared to our neighbors and classmates. How can i emphasize this? I live slightly outside of Westchester so its a decently wealthy college prep public school. WOuld it be to my advantage to talk about what I learned from my mother being hospitalized and whats its like to be ahsamed that your family isnt driving a lexus while the other kids are? I know i am in some respects privilidged, but its embaressing when your friends pick you up in 2002 mercedes and your parents dont own a car from the 90s? I wasnt going to write about my economic situation in essays b4, but i now think it may be appropriate. After all i had to pick up a job around christmas to help out with bills. I was simply going to write about determinations, but now it seems if i focused on what i learned from being poor and a URM has taught me. ANy help on how i shuld frame my essays would be appreciated

By Tim on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

A lot of it depends on how much you feel you should use/abuse the AA system and your race.

For example, if you feel that racism or being relatively poor has had a large influence on you and experiencing racism and relative poverty was an important experience, you can definitely write about it, but if you exaggerate the racism against you or yourt economic state, then you are lying. The college may never know, depending on their admissions policy, but you will.

Now your other choice is whether you check the "Hispanic" box or leave it blank. If your essay focuses on being Hispanic (or you have a definitely Hispanic name), you might as well check it, but if your essay only focuses on your relative poverty or on something else entirely, it's up to you whether you want to check Hispanic for the AA advantage, or try to go it with no AA advantage but know that you will be able afterwards to shut up anyone who claims you only got in for your race.

Myself, I'd be checking that box. I don't think I'd have the balls to protest it when something this important was on the line, unfortunately.

Tim

By meeh on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:44 am: Edit

well i added some stuff in my essay about learning to confront who i was and how it made me a better person when i began to learn more about my mexican heritage. i think that should be sufficent

By Agentd on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

"Being the punchline in Mexican jokes isnt fun. Nor is being poor. Although we arent poor, we arent wealthy compared to our neighbors and classmates. "

Big deal. I'm the butt of Jewish jokes DAILY. I learned not to take it so seriously and even laughed at a few of them.

I, too, live in an upper-middle class area, but am more like lower-middle class. But do I complain? No.

(Did I mention that since I look arabic, I'm also on the end of terrorist jokes?)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page