Chances at University of Chicago and University of Michigan

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Chances at University of Chicago and University of Michigan
By Bov (Bov) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

I'm an international student thinking about applying as a transfer student. I'm pretty sure my chances are slim to none at both schools. What do you think?

Here is my information:

My high school grades aren't good at all: average grade of 4.3 (6 being highest, 0 lowest, 2 is passing grade) unweighted, (4.8 weighted) which is, I guess, in the bottom of the top 30-35% at my school (which is an average school). My college grades will probably be much better; I think I have a good chance at getting As in all my courses. One problem, though, is that my current college doesn't offer a liberal arts curriculum (so I'm only taking maths and computer science courses), and I know how obsessed American universities are about well-roundedness. Also, I'm only a freshman, and one semester/year of good college grades can't outweigh three years of relatively poor high school grades, right?

My ECs are.. non-existent, we don't have that stuff over here! That doesn't mean I have been idle though..

Work experience: Briefly was a paper boy.

Recommendations: Probably some very impersonal letters from professors who have no idea who I am, but have given me good grades. - I'm thinking about asking my professors for interviews, to give them a better basis for writing their recommendations. Good idea?

My SAT 1 score was 1560 (760 verbal).
I'm taking the TOEFL and three SAT II tests soon (neither university requires SAT II scores; I'm mostly taking them to remedy my high school grades). Asssuming my scores on these tests will be really good, and assuming I can write a good essay (which I'm not sure I can), what would you estimate my chances are?

Thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page