Bad grades high test scores chances for uiuc or northwestern

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Bad grades high test scores chances for uiuc or northwestern
By Rem153 (Rem153) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Hey, what do you guys think are the chances of a high scoring ACT/SAT student with average grades, to get into UIUC or Northwestern.

SAT: 1460 760M 700V ACT: 32

GPA: 3.3/4.0 unweighted

Im ranked 79 out of about 360

I took all accelerated math courses since 8th grade and will have tooken ap calc through senior year, also took aps in us history and English.

I havent done really any ec's that have been consistent.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Key to Illinois is not GPA but class rank. Go here and then click on "graph" and you can evaluate your own chances:

http://www.oar.uiuc.edu/prospective/ugrad/apply09.html

As you will see, much depends on which particular school within the university you are applying to. Right now your rank puts you somewhat below the 25% level for Arts & Sciences and way below for engineering but your test scores along with a very good essay might help make up the difference. Also, if you want to apply to UIUC, I would advise that you do so immediately. It has a November 15 priority date; what that means is those who get everything in by November 15 have an advantage over those who apply afterwards.

As to Northwestern, you are definitely a reach but still worth a shot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page