What are my chances at the UCs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: What are my chances at the UCs
By Eddd (Eddd) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:19 am: Edit

here are my stats:
sat 1: 1360
Sat 2:
-math 1c 710
-writing 660
-us history 720

GPA: 4.13 weighted

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

UC Davis- in
UC SB- in
by the way, are SAT II's much easier than SAT I because everybody has way higher on SAT II.

By Phishphan (Phishphan) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

i live in CA and decided not to bother w/ uc. they are huge and becoming werid. but i think you will be fine if you follow all the qualifications they publish

By Neurobear (Neurobear) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

I graduated from high school in 1998, so I don't know if any of this will help. Here are some stats of mine, which got me accepted into Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD:

SAT 1: 1380 (v-670, m-710)
SAT 2:
-math 2c: ~600
-writing: ~500
-bio: ~750
(I don't recall the exact numbers, since I didn't really worry about them)

GPA: 4.3 weighted, 3.9 normal

These stats aren't super impressive, but I also had a lot of extra curricular activities: 3 varsity sports totaling 7 seasons, ASB Commissioner of Honors - 1 year, 3 years Rotary Int., 2 years CSF, cultural dance instructor - 2 years, etc. etc.. Also, I had super letters of rec from the ASB advisor and vice principal. I think letters of rec are as important as your statement.

Most likely, my numbers alone would not have gotten me into Berkeley or UCLA (UCSD is questionable). I don't know what the competition to get into the UCs is like now, but if you don't have a lot of activities, then your chances of getting into the top schools are slim. If you have a decent number of activities that show a "well-rounded" personality, then UCSD is probably an "in," as well as all the other UCs below it. Of course, I've been out of the loop for 5 years now, so my idea of what it takes to get into the UCs may actually be a little depressed.

If you've paid any attention to the numbers released on SAT scores for acceptances in 2002 at Berkeley and UCLA, then you'd realize standardized tests are not a strong indication of what the schools want. Remember, UC President Atkinson strongly dislikes the SAT1 and that probably goes for all the chancellors as well.

By Thiaar00 (Thiaar00) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

neurobear, cld u eval my chances at UIUC, UCLA, and NW? stats:
SAT I-1380
SAT II-2100
good ECs, good essay, good recos.
btw, what did u major in?

By Marinakitchen (Marinakitchen) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

The UC's depend a lot on class rank, since they divide your "total score" by that number. You didn't list your class rank, but if you're in the top 10 percent, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting into the UC of your choice.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

^^
where did you hear that?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page