What Balances Moreso? Academics/Test Scores or EC Volunteer

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: What Balances Moreso? Academics/Test Scores or EC Volunteer
By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Hey all, I was just wondering about applying to schools such as: Georgetown, George Washington, Harvard, Marquette, maybe Princeton, and maybe Amyhrst.

Now, what would these schools look at more: The Academic side of you or the EC side of you?

Now, this is speculation, but let's say my application was:

SAT's in the 1500's
SAT II's in high 700's to 800
Great AP test scores
Great Essay/interview/rec's
Hardest Curriculem offered at school (with some focus on possible future major)
4.0 GPA, Top 1% of class.
White, no legacy, from MidWest.

Maybe 10 Solid EC's- a couple academic competitions won, Writer for local paper, member of county historical society (editor of history book they are going to publish), student government all 4 years, captain of chess, math team, and bowling, NHS, National Merit, a few extranous clubs, some lobbying trips in DC/state capitol, and about 150 volunteer hours.

I am almost positive I will get into GW and Marquette, but what are my chances at the others: do stellar academics balance out a lower amount of EC's? Just wondering, because I feel pretty good about my chances, then I come to this board and see some profiles, and my jaw hits the ground.

Thanks for the help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page