No leadership, or volunteering.. what are my chances??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: No leadership, or volunteering.. what are my chances??
By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

please evaluate chances at the following schools:

UPenn Huntsman program
UPenn Wharton
NYU
Carnegie Mellon
UC Berkeley
UNC Chapel Hill
U Michigan
U Winsconsin Madison
Boston U
MIT (probably not applying)

My stats:

SAT I: 1530 (800M 730V)
SATII: just took them, and will take more in Nov. my estimate of scores are:
French with Listening ~ 730-800
Writing ~ 700-780
Math IC ~ 750
Math IIC ~ 750-800

GPA: 3.65 Unweighted (upward trend though)
taking 1 AP class (there are only 2 AP classes at my school, and they are both in the same block.) and 2 of 3 possible honors courses.

rank in top 10% (probably about 7%)
but only about 20% of students at my school go to a four-year college
I am in a french immersion program at my school, we take many of our classes in french, so I am quite fluent in French.

ECs:
Tennis - not too serious
Volleyball - varsity team
Rock band - we have recorded at a studio, and played at various fund-raising concerts (one concert sold $10,000 in tickets)
Stage band since grade 6.
I tutor math, english and french in person and online
I give drumming lessons
I will send a recording of my drumming
A few other clubs, activities and such

Unfortunately, I don't really have any leadership positions and I don't have a lot of community service.

My essays and recs should be good, but perhaps not phenomenal

I am an Indian male, and I live in Canada with a dual citizenship in the US and Canada.

So! Give me a ballpark range of my chances at the above listed schools if you can! thanks!

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

you probably won't get into UMich since your GPA is kinda low, but you can for sure get into Boston U

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

I hope you get in my black brother.

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

hmm ok thanks. anyone else care to comment?

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

bump? come on..?

By Neona (Neona) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Your GPA is perfectly acceptable for the University of Michigan. You're in the top 10 percent, your UGPA is 3.5 or higher, and your SAT score is 1500 or higher. You have extra-curiccular activities, and the legibility of your post suggests that you'll be able to write a comptetent, if not superior essay.

You can do 'better' than UMich. :)

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

well I'll try to do better... do you think I have a slight chance at Wharton?

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

You are kidding me right? Huntsman? Sorry to say it, but, you need a miracle to even have a legit chance of battling it out the Huntsman, and, UPenn Wharton...don't put your hopes on it. Sorry to be harsh, but, I really don't think you should put too much into UPenn.

By Amethyst (Amethyst) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

I agree with Flameball63, but Flameball63 is a little too harsh. YOu shouldn't put too much hope in the Huntsman Program, they only accept 56 or something like that out of hundres of applicants. Besides, those applicants are best of the best, (well, most of them). You have a decent chance in Boston University, and maybe U.of MIchigan.

sorry to bring the bad news, but I think it's better to not have much hope than to be disappointed in the end.

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 02:37 am: Edit

yeah I know UPenn is quite a reach for me. I'd be happy if I got into NYU, carnegie mellon, michigan, UNC, or berkeley. any thoughts?

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

any other thoughts? this is my last bump.

By Giovanni (Giovanni) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I have a dual US/Canadian citizenship too... why don't you go to a Canadian school? They are so cheap. And most are great too!

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

I dunno.. I'd like to work in the US after college/grad school, so I think US schools would be better for that. Plus I like the US of A better than Canada

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page