Realistic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Realistic?
By Fanciful on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Hello everyone, I'm a junior and trying my best to start enhancing my apps early. In putting it all together, it looks good, but I still feel I'm lacking that Ivy edge :/ Let me know what you think, here are my stats:

V: 800, M: 710
IIs: Chem- 760, Writing- 800, Latin- 740
(taking Is again in April, IIs in Bio, Lit, and IIC)
GPA = 4.32, ranked 8/204 (blah, grade inflation)
I'm currently taking AP Bio, Language, US, and Latin, and will complete 5 more in my senior year; I received a 5 on the AP Euro exam last year, and a 4 on Chem.
I attend a private school in Florida, not incredibly well-know/elite, but solid college preparatory.
I've held a 3-year internship at a medium-sized newspaper, and published 34 articles to date
President of Future Physicians of America
Eucharistic minister, Pres. of Liturgy team, great commitment to parish community
Founded Spirit club freshman year, co-pres.
300 hours service providing enrichment to gifted third graders
Typical honor society memberships (NHS, Latin Natl. HS, Mu Alpha Theta, Quill and Scroll, and the like) and no mind-blowing awards (won serveral college writing contests, suma cum on Natl. Latin exam 3 years running, won state finals in academic team)

I just feel like I should have published a novel.

I aim to apply to the big H, Princeton, and Dartmouth; U. Virginia, BC, Tufts.

Any comments/suggestions? :)

By Gregon on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:53 pm: Edit

TO IMPROVE APPLICATION:
Do something unique. Ride Rodeo. Become a clown. Do research. Something... I think it helps a bunch.

Move to an underpopulated state.

Take up orchestra (alot of Ivy acceptees had orchestra)

Try to get adopted by a senator.

Gamble all your money away so your dirt poor and homeless, write about the experience.

Win the lotto and become filthy rich. Donate all save the tuition money.

Marry the dean's daughter.

TO IMPROVE IN GENERAL:
You have a 1510 and are in the middle of your Junior year. You're sitting a sweet record already enjoy high school. It only lasts so long. If you don't like highschool read a good book!

TO MAKE YOU FEEL NERVOUS:
Honor societies don't impress admissions officers. A lot of the people on these boards had great (sometimes perfect) scores and grades and were deferred. You might be too. There's a great randomness to the admissions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page