More AA musings

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: More AA musings
By Alittlebitmad on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Why is it that people think that just because one is of a different race that they have different experiences or are underpriveleged?

Is a black son of two well off doctors "had different experiences" than a poor white kid?

Yes of course the black person has had different experiences. EVERYONE has different experiences. White people do not all live the same lives and have the same points of view. NEITHER do Asians (who get the real short end of the shaft in AA). Why does everyone who supports AA stereotype African Americans into poor disadvantaged backgrounds? Isn't that what they're trying to fight ie. judging an entire group based on its race rather than its merit? I know "African Americans are typically from poorer financial..." statistic smistics, well there are alot of poor white kids who don't go to Harvard too.

I guess I don't understand how giving advantage to RACE is the same as giving advantage to the UNDERPRIVELEGED. If anything rich black kids should have all the disadvantages of rich white kids and rich asian kids.

By Shannon on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:24 pm: Edit

agreed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page