DESPERATE for opinions- am i out of my league?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: DESPERATE for opinions- am i out of my league?
By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

I have already posted this under a different title, but i really am desperate. Is the College of William and Mary and the University of Virginia out of my reach? I'm applying in-state and...

So I am not up to everyone's level here. I'm a little below average compared to all of you. Nevertheless, here it goes:

I live in Northern Virginia and plan to apply to W&M, UVA, a couple safeties, and a few others.
GPA: 4.025w 3.82uw
SAT: 600V 620M (i'm a horrible test taker!)
Those are my highest, I unfortunately cannot take them again because I still have to take SAT II's before January.

Freshman year:
Honors English
Honors Western Civilization
Honors Earth Science
Honors Algebra I
(no APs offered)

Sophomore year:
Honors English
Honors Biology
Honors Geometry
(No APs offerred)

Junior year:
Honors English
Honors Algebra II
Honors Chemistry
Honors Spanish III
AP U.S. History
(history was the only AP offerred)

Senior Year:
Honors English
Honors Pre-Cal
Honors Physics
Honors Spanish IV
AP U.S. Government

Extracurriculars:
Key Club: 9-12
Amnestry International (public relations officer: 9-12
Junior Math League: 9-12
Piano: 9-12
Spanish Honors Society:11-12
Volunteer CCD program: 9-10 (300+ hours)
(editor announcements/publications)
Volunteer Assisted Living: 11-12
Volunteer Hospice program: 12
Volunteer Peer Mentors: 12
Yearbook reporter: 10-12
National Honors Society: 12

Thanks!!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

They are both within your range as an in-state student. Good luck.

By Celestial4u (Celestial4u) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

i'm applying to UVA as well!
i think you can definately get in... especially since you have some good stats and are instate

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Your GPA and class rank are very nice, but your SATs will make not make it easy for you to get into either school. Not impossible, just hard. UVA doesn't have its 2003 profile data up, but in 2002, your 1220 put you at the bottom of the middle 50% of acceptees. The middle 50% was 1220-1420 for 2002.The median SAT I was 1320.

You probably should check it out yourself. Go to the Virginia website and look at the links for the admissions office. I strongly recommend that you study the profile and other information they have to offer about admissions.

For 2002, the median SAT I at WM was 1350 and the mean was 1334. The bottom 25% averaged 1270. Like UVA, it was probably higher in 2003. You can find this information by going to the WM website and typing "common data set" into their search engine.

I don't know what you want to study, but have you also considered James Madison and Virginia Tech? Also, what advice do you have from your counselor?

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

i think that your look good, since you are in-state. btw, don't let the people on this board discourage you... i'm sure you know this, but the people on this board are those who are (generally) the most motivated about being accepted into selective universities and are therefore going to make good or even great scores look "average". that said, i maintain that i think you have a good shot at these schools. finish this semester strong, keep up the good work. :)

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

make that *you*... sorry

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

thanks for the responses...the only thing my guidance counselor told me was to apply to these schools, nothing else. I have visited these schools. UVA is a bit too large for me though. I'm interested in pre-med. I am aware that my SAT scores are rather low. Does anyone know people that got into these schools with SAT scores in the low 1200's? Anyway, i'm also looking at the University of Richmond...any thoughts? Thanks a lot

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Richmond is a very attractive school set in the woods with a student union overlooking a lake. It is a bit isolated and you'll need access to a car to get anywhere. Because it's private it's kind of pricey.

If you're interested in state schools what about Radford?

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Oh...btw I applied ED to William and Mary ( I fell in love with the school when I saw it, it's only gonna hurt that much more when i get deferred because no one gets rejected ED). Does that make any difference in the world to me? And in my situation, is it a good thing i did that or will it count against me?

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:02 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page