Yale E.A., and alot of the "little ivies", 1410 SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Yale E.A., and alot of the "little ivies", 1410 SAT
By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

PLEASE HELP!! I would appreciate an honest opinion, I'm so nervous and I'm would love some feedback:
Here's my list and my qualifications below that, please give me any advice you can:

Reaches:
Yale (EA)
Duke
Williams
Amherst
Mid-Ranges:
Middlebury
Bowdoin
Wesleyan
Washington and Lee
Safeties:
Colgate
Trinity College (CT)
Fairfield University (CT)

SATI-700v and 710m (1410)
SATII-690 Math IC, 690 History, 660 Writing

I attend a public school in CT, am in the top 6% of my class (19/330), take the toughest classes avalible (we don't have AP's so I take honors and UCONN credit classes) and my grades are all A-'s, B+'s, and B's. The best part of my application are my extracurriculars and my resume (nearly 3 pages long). I am captain of the varsity tennis team (2 years), president of my class (3 years), have over 103 hours of community service, tons of leadership awards (Principal's Leadership Award, etc.) and seminars attended (HOBY, Rotary Youth Leadership, NYLC, Boys State, JSA Summer School at Yale). At Yale I'm a quasi-legacy (my sister has a masters there and is getting a PhD), and I am a Cuban-American so I think I get points for diversity. I'm not sure if my solid resume can compensate for a lackluster class rank and the B's on my transcript. Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks-

By Briteeyez4322 (Briteeyez4322) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

you have a shot at any of those schools (yale of course is a uber-reach for everyone...). williams will also be tough but you're definitely still in the running... your EC's will definitely make up for your rank and SAT's (which themselves aren't bad... just not outstanding...) GOOD LUCK!

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

i agree with briteeyez, dang, i wish fairfield was a safety for me, i loved fairfield when i visited it.

By Tub14 (Tub14) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Yeah you really have no shot at all at any of these schools..mabye fairfield if your lucky.. good luck with the cuban american card.. i don't think they'll buy it.also whats the deal with only 103 hours..thats awful

By Anduin (Anduin) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

A three page resume?! Simply put, that's too long. The Yale admissions officer I talked to said that if you attach a resume, it shouldn't be more than a page.

Your test scores are average for your reach schools, and your grades are pretty good. Your leadership, athletics, and ethnicity will all help, but you're a lottery ticket at places like Yale.

By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Yeah thanks for the advice anduin, I had to cut my resume down to exactly 2 full pages (shortened margins) because my guidance counselor said that's the absolute longest I could send, but for Yale I got lucky, I used their app and they wanted a chart of all my activities, positions held and hours per week/weeks per year, and it stated they didn't care if I did it on a few separate pages so it actually looked alright (it was just a little over a full page in char form).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page