Low SAT low GPA help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Low SAT low GPA help!
By Rajik (Rajik) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

i wanna go to UW in Seattle but my gpa and SAT scores suck. should i send in my application right now and take the SAT again in December. my gpa is 3.68 unweighted
first time SAT score: 940 470V 460M
second time: 1040 550V 490M horrible i know.
rank 58 out of 505.
havent done to many EC's.
i never taken any challenging courses. no AP classes. but i am taking physics my senior year. taken japanese for 2 years. i know my stats suck.
my parents wont let me apply to other universities because there to far away. private schools are too expensive. its UW or Community college. i know UW is a reach but should i take the SAT again in December and hope to do good on it.
thanks to those who reply.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Yes, try the SATs again - or perhaps think about taking the ACT. Some people do better on it. Also look at Western Washington U or Washington State U as alternatives to community college. Your stats as they are now are potentially in the ballpark for either school.

By Rajik (Rajik) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

western washington and Washington State are to far away. my parents want me to go to a college were i could drive to and then come back home.

By Highschoolda (Highschoolda) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Don't just hope to do well on something. STUDY FOR IT. Best of luck to u.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

woha what are u talking? YOUR GPA is good.
Try taking the ACT I gave up on SAT also :)

By T2opine (T2opine) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

First of all, your gpa is good, and your class rank is also good. I'm going to second what Financelad said and suggest you take the ACT. Also, try not to worry too much about it, I know people with worse stats than you and they still got into college. Good luck.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

Don't even think of community college, UW isn't the only college in Seattle. There's Seattle U, Seattle Pacific University, and this one other called something like Trinity or something. I forgot. Just to tell you first off though, Seattle U and the other one is a Christian Church and I don't think SPU is. I also saw the University of Phoneix building in Tukwila but I'm not sure if it's an online college or not because I heard it was but then I SAW the building. So you can do the research. If you really want to go to the UW, you should go for it. Not sure if this is true but I heard they're looking for ppl with 1200+ but then I also heard some people below 1200 got in. So I really don't know. Good luck!

By Financelad (Financelad) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

you can always transfer man. Maybe go to belleview community college for 2 years raise up ure stats and transfer to UW. transfers are pretty easy at UW. then do good there. take the GRE and GMAT after u graduate and get into aan ivy league for masters :)

By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

Whoopsie I'm sorry. Unless you're religious, skip all the colleges I just mentioned. I just found Univ. of Phoenix was some adult college. Terribly sorry. And SPU is a Christian college. So the only nonreligious school in Seattle is UW. I'm terribly sorry. Maybe you could try to convince your parents?

By Rem153 (Rem153) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Hey, what do you guys think are the chances of a high scoring ACT/SAT student with average grades, to get into UIUC or Northwestern.

SAT: 1460 760M 700V ACT: 32

GPA: 3.3/4.0 unweighted

Im ranked 79 out of about 360

I took all accelerated math courses since 8th grade and will have tooken ap calc through senior year, also took ap's in us history and English.

I havent done really any ec's that have been consistent.

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

its taken. Not tooken. if ur sat is 1460, u could probably get into anywhere besides the ivies. But GPA is weigh more important. ur rank is alright.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

It's "way," not "weigh." :)

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

i thought i was being nice by telling u that u were gonna get in

By Kinshasa (Kinshasa) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Rajik, did you think about Evergreen State in Olympia...it's a public institution, about $3K tuition for in-state. It's VERY different, no grades, interdiscplinary programs, activist, liberal. My daughter was out of state, had 1020 SAT and 3 pt. GPA and was admitted. Not for everyone.

By Rajik (Rajik) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

the thing is that i dont want to go to any other school than UW. if i dont get in
well i'll just go to highline community college. screw UW! i hate senior year. errr

By Lynch1000s (Lynch1000s) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

I agree, with those grades, don't even think about a community college.

If you're worried about making payments, there are loan programs that allow you to take out all the money you need to pay off your tuition.

My suggestion is to take the SAT's again, or the ACT and apply to several colleges. One I'd suggest is Reed College in Oregon. If I wasn't a business major, I would have loved to go there. Excellent academics, and you'll get a very diverse education there.

And just as a quick note, I improved my SAT score from a 940 the first time I took it, to a 1170 the second time. I bought two copies of "10 Real SAT's" by college board, and that was my only study tool. I didn't take any classes or anything. If I had taken classes, I think I could've gotten a 1300+. The SAT's take practice, and you have to take them a good 3-4 time before you really get used to them.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:39 am: Edit

rem153--
northwestern is a long shot no matter what grades or sat/act you have. too many kids applying for too few spots. If you get in, congrats. But try, don't dismiss yourself--let them make the choice. just recognize and have some safeties.

By Rajik (Rajik) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:35 am: Edit

i talked to my sister who goes to UW and she told me take the chance and apply to UW with my stats. she says that if i take the SAT in december then i wont get in cause they have rolling admission and all the spots will be filled up.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Definitley consider taking the ACT. If you're a minority (African-American, Hispanic, Native-American), they tend to do better on it.

By Rajik (Rajik) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

the next date to take the ACT is Dec 15. to late for me to take. i think i might apply to UW in Tacoma and Bothell.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page