I GOT INTO STANFORD!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: I GOT INTO STANFORD!!!!!
By mychances on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:34 pm: Edit

im soooo happy! thanks for everyone who supported me on this borard! (and even those of you who didn't). i know someone is going to want to know my stats.. so here they are...

African-American student with two parents who attended college (Williams and Vassar) and are now both doctors.
-An essay that a HIGHLY respected teacher at my school called "one of the best [he has] ever read]"

-3.9/4.0 GPA (Unweighted) at a private boys school in Ohio (ranks in the top 50 schools in the nation to send students to Harvard/Yale/Princeton).
-SAT: 790V 610M
-SATII: 700 American History, 630 Writing, 600 Math IC.
-Graded AP's: 4 Eng. Lit., 5 Eng. Lang/comp.
-4AP's senior year and one post-AP course
-National-Achievement Semi-Finalist (currently applying to be a Finalist)
-AP Scholar
-Selected to attend LEAD Program in Business at the University of Michigan over the summer of 2002. A prestigious business program for students of color.

EC's:
-Varsity Cross-country (9,10,11,12) (captain of team that placed 5th in the state). However, I am not a recruited athlete.
-Varsity Track (9,10,11,12)
-Varsity Hockey (9,10) I stopped playing so I could improve my running of the winter and make to the state championships in Cross-Country.
-Church Youth group
-Jazz Band and selective Jazz Band combo group (1st chair. Alto/Bari/soprano saxophones)
-Cycling: during the summers. Biked 350mi in new England, 800mi from Seattle to San Fransisco, 1500mi from London to Rome, 3000mi from Georgia to California- started own fundraiser and $3000 for Make a Wish Foundation.
-Proficency test tutor for 4th grade students in Cleveland Public Schools.

My uncle attended Stanford Law School.

By jerk on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:36 pm: Edit

i thought you had to be able to do multiplication in order to get into stanford... i guess not.

By Iggy boy on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:38 pm: Edit

mychances, do you go to University ? Just wondering cause I go to Ignatius

By Me on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION IS ••••••••. DID THIS BLACK GUY NEED ANY ADVANTAGE GETTING INTO COLLEGE WHEN BOTH PARENTS WENT TO IVY?

By Congrats-s/not on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Congratulations on being black! I hope you enjoy it!

By babadu on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Stop B I T C H I N G and take life for what it is.

By congrats for real on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Congrats, sincerely.

By Me on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Yeah, congrats. You really got lucky with that whole black thing. Do me a favor: in 20 years after you graduate and are driving a Benz, stop and give some money to the homeless white guy who didn't get in because you did.

By Gregon on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:34 pm: Edit

St Ignatius? Cleveland?

My dad went there! Small world.

By mychances on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:38 pm: Edit

(notso)random question...

what would you think if i said i never checked the african-american bubble on my application?

By mychances on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:39 pm: Edit

it's funny how people are so quick to criticize...none of you have any idea.

By sorry on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:41 pm: Edit

not a chance in heck with those awful test grades. sorry man.
you want to look at a competant Afro-American applicant who really didn't need that AA bubble?
Look under "Everyone- post decisions and stats" for a chick named Shannon.
Sorry man, but you don't even come close.

By D on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:48 am: Edit

cmon dude, you don't get into stanford with a 1400 and an average of 650 on the SAT II unless you're black. You probably didn't check the box but wrote your essay on being president of Black Student Association.......

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:50 am: Edit

Shut the hell until you post your stats you moron. There are plenty of white people with lower stats than mychances at Harvard. You have NO point. It's no one fault that your bitterness has swallowed you whole and your main goal in life is to be a stick in everyone's ass. He is in, and no one (unlike you, but you forgot to take your antipsychotic medication this morning) with any sense would say he's not qualified. And bitch as you may, he's in, you're not, and nothing's gonna change that, you miserable scum.

By JamesK on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:29 am: Edit

Yeah, I got in to Stanford too and I am appalled that people would criticize a guy who brings many benefits to the university. Now given, his academic repertoire isn't as impressive as a purely academic student but his athletic dexterity contributes to the university. There are white athletes who get in on the same terms. BUt truth be told he's being used by the university mainly for his athletics skills. On those academic scores, it'd be tough to get in any top 20 school let alone Stanford.

By !! on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:54 am: Edit

ONE QUESTION, who here got into stanford/an ivy? Guess NOT. I doubt you'd be whining then bitch*s
good job mychances.

By Mike on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:20 am: Edit

Listen, mychances, you got in, thats what is important right? Well, that is to me. Who cares whether you're black, white, asian, hispanic, american indian. I am so upset reading through this post at all the sorry people who post bashing your race, claiming thats the reason you got in. Lets face it, you got yourself in. You got in for who you are, not for your ethnicity. Maybe it plays a role, but you know what, its not a deciding factor. Your interview (if you had one), your essay, your integrity, but most of all, your drive, is what got you in. Do not let anyone take that away from you.

By Aditya on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:09 am: Edit

HEY I GOT INTO STANFORD!!!!! I'm SO HAPPY!....My stats aren't all that great. 1500 SAT, never submitted my SAT 2's. Rank 1st outta 95 students. HAve a decent record of Ec's.

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! Hey why don't we Stanford admits form a yahoo group or something, so that we can know each other b4 actually landing up on campus.:) YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By wrerw on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 04:15 am: Edit

hey aditya, howd you get in with such a low score(for stanford) and no SAT 2?? where u from?

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 04:32 am: Edit

Yeah, whatever, they don't require SAT IIs at Stanford and I know 4 people (not minorities aahahahaha) who got 1380, 1400, 1400, 1510. Low for Stanford, my ass. Who the hell are you people that claim to be experts?? Get a grip. It's not all about that and maybe the fact that you think it is is why you didn't get in. Congrats Aditya, I got deferred with a 1480. Hope it works out for you.

By Aditya on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:25 am: Edit

Hey Divajen2001 thanx for the support...best of luck for the regular decision!! well, i'm studying in India, but i was in the US till the 7th grade, NJ. and i don't think 1500 is a low score for any university. any score above 1450 is great and would qualify as a good score. and abt the SAT 2's stanford doesn't require them, and my academic credentials clearly show my academic potential. I would likfe to say something for all ivy league caliber univ aspirants!!...NEVER SAY NEVER!!!....who would have thought that i wud get into Stanford. but i believed in myself and it payed off....so don't count yourself out!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!

By dren2k1 on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:37 am: Edit

hey congrats to all who got in
Aditya, which part of India are you from? Im from India myself. Just got deffered from princeton
SAT 1530 SAT II 800 790 750
what kind of ec's did you have?
congrats once again

By Aditya on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Hi dren2k1.....i'm from Bangalore.....my ec's aren't that great......I'm the IT captain of my school.....i'm on the student counsel....i'm the editor n chief of my school and i've won quite a number of olympiads....and other irrelevant stuff.........best of luck

By I am proud on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Your admission to Stanford is well deserved. You will bring to the campus diversity in all aspects. It has been sad that many black men have gone to jail instead of Yale. It is wonderful that Stanford, unlike other Ivies or elite school, have really tried to balance the gender of the African American community. Stanford's AA community is almost 50/50, unlike Yale and Princeton, were women outnumber men by 70-80%. Your legacy will be enduring. Be proud of your accomplishments--your heritage, your efforts. It is truly pathetic that some people have bashed your efforts. I am certain that in 20 yrs, you will have forgotten your stats--however your desire to help others and make a difference will be evident. You are definitely a part of the "talented 10th". I wish you well.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Congratulations! I knew you would get in. I hope you enjoy Stanford. I spent a year there in grad school and felt like I was in heaven. Now you can relax and enjoy the holidays. :)

By aaaa on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:31 am: Edit

what is the accept rate for 1600's at stanford? i heard they reject an unusually high percentage of them

By BigBird on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

i was under the impression that stanford was less about pure test scores than other top colleges...some truly amazing essays, recs, interview, along with satisfactory scores and grades can get you in anywhere. I don't think any college wants kids who would answer the question "what did you do in high school" with the answer, "I tried to get into college the whole time". Those obsessed with perfect scores seem like they'd be incapable of writing a good, sincere essay about a passion of theirs.

By Verbal on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:55 pm: Edit

NOTE: mychances is NOT a "techy."
I think mychances was admitted on the basis of his 790 verbal score. Anyone who can score that high is clearly intelligent enough to tackle, at the very least, the humanities course-load at any top tier institution. However unfair it may seem, colleges use the SAT for its correlation with college performance; studies have shown that high verbal scorers, in particular, are most lightly to succeed in college. Performing well on most college courses requires one to have strong reading skills, which is assessed to a certain degree of accuracy, at least, by the verbal SAT.

By adam.s. on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

It is my personal opinion that it is way harder to do well on the verbal section of the SAT than the math section... then again, I am very good at math. But damn, some of those SAT verbal words in the analogies are INSANE!

By Me on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

You know what, stop complaining about affirmative action. You all have the attitude that by accepting a black student, a white student is somehow being denied a seat. You don't know anything about this kid beside a short list of stats. He probably had an amazing essay and he could be an incredible person in general. Get a life and stop complaining. All of you will get into college somehwere. Maybe not Harvard, but in the entire course of your life, it's not going to make that much of a difference,

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

All this bitter/whiny crap is based on just one big cutting assumption about what people deserve, which is TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED. How unfortunate for you that you're wasting all of your time declaring that some people people don't deserve their acceptances to Stanford, when it's not going to get you anywhere.

How unfortunate that everything you do is colored by your greed and unwillingness to find any integrity or honor within yourself to just do your best and be content without having to drag anyone down.

By osama on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 09:47 pm: Edit

i got in and all you whiners should shut up

By Stanford2007 (Stanford2007) on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:29 am: Edit

Dear all future c/o 2007 Cardinal,
Congrats to all of us! Im so excited about meeting all of you. Have a great holiday!

By Me on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 02:14 am: Edit

Is it fair that he got in when whites with 1590's got deferred or rejected?

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:08 am: Edit

I got a 1480 and I was deferred, and I'm black. I know a white guy with a 1380 that got in. Shut up, you have NO point.

By Me on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:47 am: Edit

You KEEEP saying that same thing "You have NO point" when really I DO HAVE A POINT. Black students get in with lower scores, and it is NOT FAIR.

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 07:24 am: Edit

BS. People of all races get in with all kinds of scores - low and high. And his score is above the Stanford average SAT score. You really don't have a point.

By ... on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:50 am: Edit

It is true that black people w/ lower scores get in. As for the OP, congrats on your acceptance. Whereas your nationality certainly did help, your other stats probably got you in as well. Good job!

By HKgal on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:41 am: Edit

Congratulations!!! If I'm an admission officer, I would have admitted you. I don't care about your scores but the fun raising was amazing!

By bob on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:20 am: Edit

does anyone know what percentage of early applicants stanford deferred?

By hi on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:57 am: Edit

100-25-66=9%

those are the numbers i remember.

By Asian on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:47 am: Edit

look, im ASIAN, not sporty, not musically gifted, no legacy, jus a good ol' 1410 and 790/750/670, and I got in,

ITS NOT ABOUT RACE ALL U JEALOUS PRICKS SHOULD GET A LIFE

By Goodjob on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:26 am: Edit

The responses to mychance's admission appauls me. The criticism you have given him and the mean remarks disgust me. And you guys expect to get into good colleges? Well, you are not going to with this type of attitude and karma. The fact is that no intolerant b@stards are really wanted, and those of you who are criticizing fall into this category. Jesus H Christ, if you really don't want affirmative action then be logical about it, and that does not mean criticizing someone who is African American. People are you try to keep people like "mychances" down by this bull, and that is why affirmative action should stay. So he can give you the middle finger after all your criticizm. Also, I'm sure none of you know what it is like to grow up as a black man in America- rich or poor. It is different and more difficult- and there is no doubt about that. Even if mychances did put his race down in the application, it doesn't goddamn matter, he is black, so why the hell should he lie about his race when that is the way he was born? We should be congratulating him and not degrading him. So, congrats mychances! But, I hope you other motherless fv<Ks become better people before anything good happens to you.

By Goodjob on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:38 am: Edit

Alright, All you folks out there are goddamn idiots for thinking there is a solution to admission. There is only one for elite schools guaranteed, it is to be a top recruit for a sport like basketball, football, baseball,ice hockey or soccer and have a 4.0 and over 1400 SAT scores. But, other than that it is random. It depends how the person who picks up your application is feeling that day. If they are feeling like ••••, then you will be rejected, and if they feel good you will be accepted. Life will go on, and universities can help with success but not make it out of one. Truly inspirational people and leaders do not need a university to make a success of themselves. •••• happens, but life will go on!

By Erin (Erin) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

Um, honestly, if mychances were white it would have made no difference...the kid was obviously a shoo in, just look at all his volunteer work and bike trips. That's unique, passionate, and isn't as simple as just pitching in at the local soup kitchen. Anyways, on a more sour note...I feel bad for all you Stanford kids in a way. There's one girl from my school I know you're going to have a LOT of fun with...hehe...oh well, you probably won't run into her. At least I hope so for your sake.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page