What are my chances at the top 3 Ivies?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: What are my chances at the top 3 Ivies?
By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

Year: Senior
Race: Asian-American
Dad never started JHS, Mother went to 2 years of college, got pregnant, dropped out...so 1st generation for college.

SAT 1220 (took them yesterday, thinking about 1450)
SAT IIs:
Math IC - 690
Math IIC - 660
Writing - 580
US History - 570
(plan to take IIC and Writing in Dec., but not US History)
AP's:
US History - 3
Calculus AB - 2
Physics B - 1
(I'm probably not going to send any AP scores)
GPA 3.55
Rank: around 66/299 unweighted, 22%, weighted may go to 20%
Classes:
2 IBs last year (US History and Physics), rest were Honors
5 IBs this year, 1 AP, 1 Independent Architecture class

EC's
Varsity Lacrosse - 11, 12
Camp Counselor at Lacrosse Clinic
Writer and Vice President of Online Lacrosse Newsletter
Substitute Stringer at Lacrosse Store (Lacrosse Unlimited for those who know it)
National Honor Society - 10, 12
Model UN:
2 trips as freshman - Harvard, Hopkins
1 as junior - Harvard
1 as senior - Harvard
Asian Culture Club -
Founder - Freshman year
President 9, 10, 11, 12
Admissions Office Volunteer
Freshman year racked up 250+ hours, went as far as to coordinate some events.
Sophomore year was much less, but still a lot of help...
NYU Downtown Hospital Volunteer - 11, 12 (same hospital where I was born...does it matter?)
Student Gov't:
Freshman: Freshman Representative
Sophomore: Asst. Treasurer
Math Team:
4 year participant
Physics Club:
Junior: Participant
Senior: Participant (gotta talk to moderator to get my President title)
Volunteer at Thanksgiving Dinners (9, 10) and Phonathons (9)

GPA is lower than it should be because of personal problems which will be explained by the Guidance Director. Same reason for not taking IB.

Freshman Summer:
Attended Summer school to prep myself for Math III (after completing Math II as a freshman)
Sophomore Summer:
Attended SAT Prep Class, won a scholarship for highest SAT grade (yeah, BS award)
Junior Summer:
Attended another SAT Prep Class
Went to lacrosse camp

Probably really good recs, especially the counselor one.
Pretty good essays, having students from each respective school to help

By Dolleykins (Dolleykins) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

dude.. i'm sry, unless u're a super good lacross player (like g-d), and u get like 1500 on u're next SAt... sry.

By Bignick123 (Bignick123) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

no shot, u'd be lucky to get into any of the top 25

By Pacman (Pacman) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Ouch.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I concur. Physics B isn't very hard compared to either of the physics C's. Sorry man but maybe second-tier college would be a better idea.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

how good at lacrosse? like empire state games good? or like all american good?

and the only safety school i'm applying to is syracuse, so that's as second tier as i'll go.

by the way, what do college admissions really depend on? have any of you ever been accepted to an ivy league?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

To stand a chance at the top Ivy's you should have SAT I scores of at least 1450 or above, a near-perfect GPA (i.e, 4.0) and be in the top 10% in terms of class rank. Even if you can get your SAT I up to 1450, You still won't change your rank or GPA. Your weak writing SAT II scores will also be a strike against you at the Ivy's. Your community service is a plus but not enough to make a difference for HYP.

Unless you really like Syracuse (which is a match for you NOT a "safety"), you really should add a few more realistic schools to your list - How about Boston U or George Washington U? Or schools like Lafayette, Bucknell, Lehigh? And you do need at least one absolute safety. Best of luck!

By Dolleykins (Dolleykins) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

would 1430 "stand a chance" for the top ivy's carolyn?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

ok, ok, ok. well, like i said, i just took the SATs yesterday, and a 1450 doesn't seem out of reach...so with that, i think syracuse would be a safety. um, well, i keep in contact with my small info session interviewer at princeton, so does that help me any? like i e-mail her once in awhile and i may see her this friday to talk a little...i mean, so how bad is this looking?

otherwise, i'm looking at PG years at Deerfield Academy, Phillips Andover, Phillips Exeter, and Hotchkiss School. does anyone think i can at least make those?

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Dude, you're not going to get into an IVY. People with 4.0, 1550 SAT and 800/800/800 SAT II's get rejected from Princeton, Harvard and Yale like nada. I also think you're being a little too confident about your SAT scores...it's no small feat to go fom 1220 to 1450.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

"it's no small feat to go fom 1220 to 1450."

ok, fine, understandable. but let's make an assumption and say that it happens, would it make any difference at all?

By Metz (Metz) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Of course it makes a DIFFERENCE but it's not going to be enough. A 1450 would be average at Yale and below average at Princeton and Harvard. 90% of Harvard's class was in the top 10% of their High School class. 95% of Princeton and Yale's class was in the top 10%. My guess is that less than 2% of students accepted at those three schools are only in the top 20%. Those kids are most likely people that scored over 1550 on their SATs, had amazing ECs, were children of alumni, or did something incredible.

BTW, is there any reason you are assuming you got a 1450? Because you may just be setting yourself up for failure. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

well, i took an SAT prep class during the fall and spring and consistently hit 1400's and i was told that on average, kids scored higher on the real thing.

plus, i found that the reading comp and math was pretty "easy". but, yeah, i should probably not make that big of an assumption.

it'd probably be best for me to go to a PG year at a prep school right? that way i can get somewhere by recruit or at least dramatically boost up my grades.

By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

I think alot of the more selective schools in the country are starting to realize that SAT's are irrelevant once you hit the average (for Yale, Harvard, Princeton about 670-770 on each section). Meaning even if you were to hit that mark your grades alone would cause rejection; every college in the country admitts that class rank and your transcript are more important than your SAT score. I would suggest smaller schools where your e.c's and you being a minority and first generation college student would matter more, out weighing your less than stellar grades and SAT's.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

any colleges in mind?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

by the way, let me ask you guys one thing about an applicant from my school:
GPA: 3.95
SAT: 1420
AP US History - 5
AP Lang - 4
SAT IIs:
US History - 800
World Civ - 770
Literature - 740
Writing - 770
ECs:
Editor of Spanish newspaper and school newspaper
(since freshman year i think)
Writer for local newspaper
NHS for three years
no one reads the newspapers but i think he's going to portray otherwise.

princeton material?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

at prep schools, they use a common app where you need a current math and english teacher rec. the english teacher won't be hard, but i'm failing bc calc. it's a two year course, and i skipped the 1st year. i mean, a curve may get me from 75-80, but it's definitely not looking good. i have an option of either getting his stoic rec, or a rec from my physics teacher IN ADDITION to last year's math teacher, who's best friends with my calc teacher...any suggestions?

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

I'm sorry but your GPA is WAAAAY too bad for top 25 schools. Personal reasons don't excuse a worse-than 20% decile and a 66! rank. And do you think you are Ivy material? No offense, but after seeing your SAT II writing and IIC, every highly selective school will throw your app away immediately.
Apply to some safeties.

By Wunderkind__Not (Wunderkind__Not) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Not to put you down, but no. A wake-up call to all of you hopefuls: My brother had amazing recs, one from a mayor, amazing devoted EC's. 1600 SAT, 36 ACT. 790/800/800/790 SAT II's. A truckload of AP's (5) and even more impressive, a 1/719 and 4.0 UW GPA. He was rejected from ALL IVIES, WUSTL, CMU, Gtown, and more. He had no personality--ultimately getting him turned down by all his top schools. He now attends Stanford.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

dude stanford's a great school.

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

agreed. i would rather go to stanford than all the previously listed schools.

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

actually, now that i see that you said he had no personality, maybe he would have been better suited at harvard. oooooo the ref takes a point away

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

err...i don't think anyone's answered the question yet. i'm not applying to college this year! applying to PG year at prep school! trying to get recruited, best friends are pro lacrosse players who know coaches at good schools. is anyone hearing this?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

now, i know this may seem so unlikely to all of you people, but say, hypothetically, that only AP scores (which i won't send) and GPA were low, how bad are the chances then?

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

So Justice, you're saying if his mother was dying of cancer, it wouldn't even come close to excusing a rank of 66 out of 299? That's ridiculous. A B+ average is very good if you have been hit hard with a traumatic experience. I think YOU need a wake up call-- some people actually have priorities over school work, like family. You know-- people who aren't MACHINES.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Haha...

Kid, you've got a chance. We all do.

Don't give up.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

so there are actually people non-spiting people on this board? i find this surprising...

and slc_bug, dead serious it was pretty bad...nothing that directly harmed my family, but it took a pretty BIG toll on me.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

So Justice, you're saying if his mother was dying of cancer, it wouldn't even come close to excusing a rank of 66 out of 299? That's ridiculous. A B+ average is very good if you have been hit hard with a traumatic experience. I think YOU need a wake up call-- some people actually have priorities over school work, like family. You know-- people who aren't MACHINES.

That just hits right to my CPU driven heart... a drop of oil is coming down my eye...

No offense topic creator, I have better stats, but I'm shying away from the Ivies because I'm out of their league. You have a shot, albeit it a small one. A mediocre GPA (of course, not in relation to your peers), poor test scores, and your attitude, all suggest that you won't make it. Syracuse is as LOW as you will go? Even my 1500, 4.0, 9 5's on AP tests friend has our state college as an ultimate safety. You never know what might happen.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

oh, and i got my rank:
60/299 - pretty much top 20%

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

you probably wont get into HYP, but you can still get into a decent school

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Hey Zephyr, I wasn't really talking about his chances with the top 25 in my post. I was just referring to the comment: "personal reasons do not excuse a rank 2% out of the top 20 decile." That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. What if this person really had an incredibly awful experience and, though in extreme mental anguish, managed to keep his average at a B+? That might have taken some great effort, and he might be proud of his accomplishment-- only to be insulted for it by some pretentious kid who hasn't yet learned a thing about life.

This is probably because I had an experience in my junior year of high school that led to a general apathy towards anything school or college related, and I think it was a damn good reason to tell high school to f--- off, if you catch my drift.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

I hope you get in my black brother.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

Zephyr, i'm just curious what's my attitude? should i take up a pessimistic view of life like everyone else on this board?

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

and the only safety school i'm applying to is syracuse, so that's as second tier as i'll go.

I think this statement sums it up. You seem unwilling to have a school that you haven't heard of, as if the education is so extremely different.

You are setting your sights too high. You do realize that some people don't even get to go to a single college they wanted too because they choose ones out of their league. I just suggest you add colleges like your state one, and maybe lower, depending on your SAT score. Optimisim is great, but I'll admit, I'm a pretty cynical pessimistic sarcastic person, who can come off as a jerk at times :).

Like I said, you have a chance. A small one. Very small. :(

By Wunderkind__Not (Wunderkind__Not) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:03 am: Edit

Syracuse is well known for its Architecture college and also other prestegious schools.

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:05 am: Edit

No one knows for sure what transpires in the closed rooms of adcoms. I mean, who are we to actually say whether you have a chance of getting in or not-- lots of unlikely people get taken every year.... Don't let anything dishearten you-- just apply, but dont expect to get in or anything. Like everyone else in this post, I believe you're record isn't the greatest. But even then, ITS NOT WHETHER I THINK SO OR NOT. Frankly, I'm getting sick-and-tired of these 'what are my chances?' threads-- they can be reassuring, agreed. But they're not God's final say. That, unfortunately, is in the hands of the fool reading your application.

By Sr686 (Sr686) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Warriorlax22, go ahead and try for some ivies, just don't overdo it. It's a lot better to have maybe 2-4 safeties on your list than it is to be denied everywhere and sit around for a year. Honestly, choosing colleges is all up to you and if you want to shoot high, just make sure you've got a few things to fall back on just in case. I'm just saying this because I've known plenty of people in the same situation who messed up their chances. I'm applying the ivies and 4 definite safeties myself, so I'm no hypocrite.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I don't think there's a problem with Warriorlax22 applying to the Ivy's - I hope he and everyone else here makes it - but I do think it's short-sighted to only have Syracuse as a match/safety and fall back. There are MANY other options between "The Top 3 Ivy's" and Syracuse that he should consider as well.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

any good safeties? 'cause my counselor says i'll definitely get there.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Rutgers. Montclair. Penn State? Loyola? University of Maryland? Ohio-Weseylan?

By Jimster0489 (Jimster0489) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

Dude, definitely go for the PG year at Andover or Exeter. A few of my cousins went to Andover & Exeter.. they said it was the best time of their lives. Showing that you have a genuine love of learning and feeling that your current school's program isn't adequate enough for you really makes a statement. Exeter has a really good Ivy matric rate for PGs, I think Andover and Deerfield do as well. And btw.. apply to HYP, who is anyone on this board to decide if you get in or not.. talk to the coaches at these schools, from what ive heard, being an athlete-recruit is sort of easier.

By Godis (Godis) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:27 am: Edit

i don't understand why people get so mad at a sub 1300 student applying to hyp. send in your apps and cross your fingers, and then have cake.

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:37 pm: Edit

your parents can allows donate a huge sum of money to the college you would like to attend.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page