Average Students Chances at Competitive Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Average Students Chances at Competitive Schools
By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Hey everyone, I just want some input on which schools you guys think i can get into.

~I have an 87 average
~I have a 1050 SAT1, took again today expecting ~1100+ on the sat today.
~My School Does Not Rank.
~I have very strong ec's
~vice pres of chess club
~secretary of table tenis club
~S.A.D.D.
~peanut butter and jelly gang
~T.A.U.
~Deca
~C.A.R.E.
~Football and Lacrosse 2 years
~Intramural Basketball and Football
~Jazz Band 2 years
~Symphonic Band 4 years (Band Officer 1 year)
Schools im applying to:

Reach:
Syracuse
Villanova
Fairfield
Northeastern
UCONN

Match:
Qunnipiac
U Scranton
Bentley
Bryant
Fordham

Safety:
SUNY Oneonta
SUNY New Paltz
Hofstra

Well what do you guys think are my chances at these schools.

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

bump and i spell Quinnipiac wrong lol

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Fordham is not a match!

By Justarunner19 (Justarunner19) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 01:22 pm: Edit

What do you plan to major in?

My evaluation of your stats is that you have just ok chances at all except the safeties which you're definitely in.
Your chances would be better with a better SAT.

However, these schools (with a few exceptions) are unknown to me because I live on the west coast.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

You have your schools pretty well laid out as to reaches, matches and safeties. You'll get into the SUNY schools without a problem, although New Paltz will be slightly harder than Oneonta. You're in at Hofstra for sure. If you want to add another safety, how about Marist? Of your matches, Bentley and Fordham will be the toughest - they may be reaches for you but very realistic reaches. You have a good shot at the others, however. Your reaches aren't completely out of range for you so I think you also have a shot at getting into a few of them. You have some very nice schools on your list - Best of luck!

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

thanks alot, also i visited marist, and im also applying there, i forgot to mention that. I also go to a catholic high school on long island that sends alot of students to Fordham (bout 30 a year). My first cousin also went to fordham and fordham law, so i think that would increase my chances. Also for another safety, i think im going to do St. John's in Queens.

Thanks again

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

i also plan to major in some sort of business, maybe finance.

I also really really loved Villanova when i visited it over the summer. They are looking for 1250+ on the SAT and i dont think im going to have that...any chance that i could get into villanova?

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

BUMP! geez

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

The fact that you went to a Catholic HS will help somewhat with Villanova. Catholic colleges tend to give some preference to Catholic school alumni. I think you have a shot at Villanova, especially if your SAT scores go up - good luck!

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

thank you Carolyn for responding, i dont know how much they will go up, but i think i did fairly well on the ACT (im predicting around a 26), but i took the SAT 4 Times (990, 1030, 1050,and i dont know what i got on the nov), and im not going to take the sat again.

By the way Carolyn what are your stats?

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

bump

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

bump again

By Thecritic22 (Thecritic22) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

oooooh....sats 4 times may hurt you.

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

do you really think that me taking the sats 4x will really hurt me? i heard that it is a myth that colleges really care how many times you took it.

By Orangeman167 (Orangeman167) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

........bump

By Vivian (Vivian) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Well, you said it yourself: average.

You have an "average" chance, so to speak.

By Lifeisafestival (Lifeisafestival) on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Fordham's definitely a reach. The average SAT was over 1200 last yr., your a kid from Long Island with OK extra-curriculars and unless your parent is a direct legacy, alumni affiliation really doesn't matter at competitive colleges today (unless your cousin is a major donor and makes some phonecalls).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page