Am I extremely unqualified? Chances W&M and UVA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Am I extremely unqualified? Chances W&M and UVA
By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

So I am not up to everyone's level here. I'm a little below average compared to all of you. Nevertheless, here it goes:

I live in Northern Virginia and plan to apply to W&M, UVA, a couple safeties, and a few others.
GPA: 4.025w 3.82uw
SAT: 600V 620M (i'm a horrible test taker!)
Those are my highest, I unfortunately cannot take them again because I still have to take SAT II's before January.

Freshman year:
Honors English
Honors Western Civilization
Honors Earth Science
Honors Algebra I
(no APs offered)

Sophomore year:
Honors English
Honors Biology
Honors Geometry
(No APs offerred)

Junior year:
Honors English
Honors Algebra II
Honors Chemistry
Honors Spanish III
AP U.S. History
(history was the only AP offerred)

Senior Year:
Honors English
Honors Pre-Cal
Honors Physics
Honors Spanish IV
AP U.S. Government

Extracurriculars:
Key Club: 9-12
Amnestry International (public relations officer: 9-12
Junior Math League: 9-12
Piano: 9-12
Spanish Honors Society:11-12
Volunteer CCD program: 9-10 (300+ hours)
(editor announcements/publications)
Volunteer Assisted Living: 11-12
Volunteer Hospice program: 12
Volunteer Peer Mentors: 12
Yearbook reporter: 10-12
National Honors Society: 12

Thanks!!!

By Fiza (Fiza) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

hey where in northern virginia do you live?
I live in sterling myself.
Your ECs are strong. As long as youre taking the hardest coarses at ur school u should be fine.
Get ur sat score up a bit.

U may have problems getting in becuz SO many ppl apply to uva and wm from the area. anywayz, WM is a great school and many of my friends go there; i dont care much for uva. As long as everything is pretty much solid (recs, essays) ur right in the ballpark :). Good luck!

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

I live in Fairfax, VA thanks a lot!

By Breeze (Breeze) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

I think you're ~67% into W&M and ~45% for UVa. So, I think the odds are decent you will get into one or the other. I know plenty of people from both schools who had equal or lower SAT scores.

By the way, the schools aren't interchangeable as far as getting into really good grad schools. W&M suffers from grade deflation... and grad schools expect you to get A's even if the grade inflation isn't great.

I've been telling people here for a while that it's easier to get into top grad schools from UVa than William & Mary, and now I finally have some emperical evidence from the Wall Street Journal to illustrate the point.

You'll love it at either school though... they are both Top 10 public schools nationwide! UVa is ranked in the top 1 to 3 of nearly every public ranking and W&M is usually in the 6 to 10 range.

Hope this helps!

By Wahoos (Wahoos) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Periwinkle- What school do you go to? I'm from Fairfax too (well, Oak Hill actually). I go to Oakton.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I personally think W&M offers better education. But yes its an opinion thing

By Aagoyle1 (Aagoyle1) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

hi iam also goin to apply to uva and have a SAT score of 1210 would would be my chance .iam from india and want to pursue mechanical engineering (undergrads).I also have a toefl score of 253.By the way fairfax is a nice place i have been there once!!

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 10:26 am: Edit

thanks for the responses...actually, i don't know why i withheld this information before but I did apply ED to William and Mary, does anyone know if this will help out at all?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Periwinkle, Yes, applying ED will certainly help with W&M. RD they accept 37%, ED it's 54%. And, of course, that's all acceptances, including out-of-state. You can assume the numbers are higher for Virginia residents. I think you have a very good shot at W&M. Great school by the way. Let us know what happens! Good luck!

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

thanks for the encouragement, i really thought i had just about a 0% chance of getting in. This gives me a little glimmer of hope, but i shouldn't put my hopes up, Dec 1 is coming up real soon... =/

(I'm really scared even though i've already braced myself for the worst..deferral, they don't reject)

By Periwinkle1586 (Periwinkle1586) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

I guess the worst came true...i got deferred. What can I do? I'll go cry myself a river. This is depressing. Thanks for all the support. I'll give myself another shot though at regular decision, but i need some help. I give up on the SATs and I will take the ACTs. Can anyone offer advice please? thanks.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 01:06 am: Edit

If its any conselation my friend got waitlisted and then got taken off the waitlist and she's at WM right now.

so there IS hope..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page