Chances Cornell and CMU

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances Cornell and CMU
By Tim on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:27 am: Edit

Stats:

Grades:
95.73 (3.7) avg. Some weighting, but the weighting here is obscenely twisted. It's impossible to have > 100 average in any class, basically destroying your chance of having a 4 GPA or anything.

Ranked: 3 after Junior year, 1st counting 1st qtr senior grades, probably will end up valedictorian.

Tests:
SAT I: 1550 - 750 Math, 800 Verbal
SAT II:
Phsyics, Writing, US History - 800s
Math IIc - 680 (••••! bombed this one.)

Awards:
Highest level scholarship offered by my high school
National Honors Society
National Merit Semi-Finalist

APs:
Junior Year - AP Amer. Hist (only one offered, took test got 5.)
Senior Year - AP Comp Sci, AP Euro, AP English, AP Calculus (all offered except AP Bio which I cant take for scheduling reasons.)

Extracurriculars:
School Television program, where I am the co-leader or something like that with one other kid - we really don't have official titles in this thing, we just get the shows done. I am mostly on the technical side of this, making sure all the cameras and sound work, doing the editing, etc..

Computer Administration - this is not an official extracurricular activity but I am the right hand man of the Director of Technology at our school. Basically trying to keep all the technology working faster than the kids can stick pencils, viruses, and other bad stuff in it. Also a little bit of work with Netware and BSD...

"Senior Council" - organization that provides service to the school. Basically they take the top 25 seniors and have them help out with events and such.

Employment:

Page, local Children's library - Shelving books, cleaning, helping with programs, and many odd jobs that need to be done. I also am the one they go to when the computers used for public internet access break down.

Improv Performer, New York Renaissance Faire - this is a lot of fun, walking around in costume and entertaining the patrons, then going out to the woods in back where most of us sleep over the weekends. Extremely interesting job that gives me a lot of stories to tell my friends, such as the "Texas Belt Buckle".

Zombie, Forest of Fear - this is the Halloween production by the same company that does the Renaissance Faire. You wear zombie makeup, make people scream and cry, and get paid for it.

So I just got deferred for MIT and now I really have to worry about getting into Cornell Engineering and CMU School of Comp. Sci. Thanks for info.

Tim

By llbeem on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 02:05 am: Edit

Weren't you mad when scheduling problems shafted your transcript? Happened to me too.

By anish thakkar on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Hi, my name is Anish. I am currently in the 10th grade. I am a mediocre student, especially compared to all of these other stats that i Have read of. I would just like to know whether I still have a chance to make it to an IVY league college if I start getting my act together. Here are my current stats:

SAT I (9th Grade Score): 490V470M
I took 2 Honors classes in 9th Grade.
I am currently taking 1 AP course in History and 1 honors course.
GPA: 4.17/5.0 = 83% (Final GPA in 9th Grade)

I am interested in majoring in Business Management/Administration.

I am in a University Program for International Studies and Business in my high school where we have learnt about Global Policies and currently Global Health Issues. In the next 2 years, I will be taking International Law & Rights, Accounting, Business Management, Global Marketing, and Economics. All of these courses will be AP.

9th Grade ECs
Bowling Team
Captain of Stock Market Club
TAe Kwon Do

10th Grade ECs (so far)
Captain of Stock Market Club
Tae Kwon Do
I will join the Tennis Team (JV probably)
Some sort of Commnity Service

Awards
1st in school for Stock Market Club
Honor Roll

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page