Any schools which weight SAT's more strongly?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Any schools which weight SAT's more strongly?
By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I have pretty strong SAT scores: 800 m, 790 v, 800, 800, 800, but my GPA isn't as good: 3.67 unweighted, 4.13 weighted. I have heard that some colleges are more concerned with SAT's than others(possibly Caltech?), so I am wondering if there are any good universities for which I would have a better chance.

By Rogerevans (Rogerevans) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Your SAT's are good enough to outweigh the GPA almost anywhere, especially if your class rank is good. If it is top 2-3% you can rest easy. If top 10%, I would apply to 10 schools like CalTech (Ivies, Stanford, MIT, etc.) and I bet you get into at least half. If not top 10%, it will be a struggle but you might still get into Penn/Brown/Dartmouth or even Cornell.

By Laniman (Laniman) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 04:15 am: Edit

Quite an interesting question actually.
Hmmm..anyone else?

By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

My understanding with SATS at the true upper eschelon of schools i.e. the top ivies, Caltech, MIT, Stanford, Duke, is that once you reach the range (basically 700's) they will not get you rejected nor accepted. Obviously if you apply to a school where your amazing SATS are 1-2 hundred points above the average it will be a major draw, but for a school like Caltech fantastic SATS and grades inconsistent with the scores might show either a lack of effort in high school, or maybe that you are just an exremely good test taker.

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I don't mean to be nosy or come across that way, but just out of curiosity, what was the reason for the lower gpa? i also have very good test scores (1570, 34, 780, 760, 750) but my gpa is around 92 or 93 out of a hundred. in my case, it was because of how many sports and other EC's i was involved in and how much they bogged down on my academic motivation. once again, i don't mean to be nosy but am just curious as i am in a very similar situation and am applying to many of the same schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page