What score is needed for National Merit?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: What score is needed for National Merit?
By Me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:36 pm: Edit

I got a 217. Will I make it to Semis?

By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Maybe. Which state do you live in?

Tim

By Fish (Fish) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Yeah. you will. I think the semi cut-off this year was...in the teens? I'm pretty sure.

By Me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I'm from CALI

By yoyoma on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

i got a 220, i live in nj, and i'm only a commended student

By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I remember seeing a list of required scores somewhere. 217 was good enough for Semifinalist standing in most states but not all. I can't remember California's requirement. Try asking your guidance counselor for the NSMC book (not the big one with all the semifinalists in it but the smaller one that has rules and such). I think that is where I saw the list. I looked for the copy of the book that my counselor gave me but I could only find the big one with the list of names.

Tim

By Q on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Anyone here from Washington State? Score, and cutoff? Last year it was 214.

By medusa2003 on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Recent cutoff scores by state are listed on this website in the discussion area called "SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation" under the heading "Actually a PSAT question" somewhere in the middle of the list of posts. The cutoff varies by state each year to allow roughly the top 1/2 of 1% of seniors in each state to become National Merit Semifinalists based upon their PSAT selection index

By NM on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:53 pm: Edit

The cutoff for WA is 223 this year.

By Q on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:35 am: Edit

Are you sure NM? A jump of 9 points? That's incredible, where did you get this info?

By Q on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:38 am: Edit

Perhaps you're confusing it with Washington DC? I'm talking about Washington State?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page