Do they defer and reject at MIT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Do they defer and reject at MIT?
By steveh on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Under EA do they reject? I was surprised when i was deferred because my stats are a little low. Thanks.

By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:24 pm: Edit

From what I've heard the majority are deferred, a few are accepted, and very few are rejected. Post stats?

Tim

By steveh on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Terrible I'll copy and paste from my cornell thread, everything but SAT's are good, and that's not saying much.

SAT 640 V 670 M
ACT: 31 M 30 R 26 E 25 S 28C
SAT 2: Physics 660 Math2c:650 Writing:600
15/403 Class Rank
4.012 GPA (we dont have crazy weighting)

AP Classes I'm in/Have Taken: Ap Computer Science, Ap US History, AP Physics B, Ap Physics C. Ap Chem, Ap Calc AB, AP Government, AP English.

Along with many other advanced courses.

Here are my EC's
(Actually posted part of my app, sorry if formatting sux)
Activities and Involvement

Activity Office, Position, or Responsibility Grades of Involvement Hours Per Week
JV Volleyball Team Team Member 9 15
Panther Ambassadors Leadership Group Member 9,10,11,12 Varies Greatly, 2-3
Sophomore Class President President 10 2-5
Eisenhower National Clearinghouse Internship through OSU Team Leader 10 3 (60 Total)
Youth Group at Northwest Bible Church Member 9,10,11,12 2-2.5
Small Groups Bible Study Member 11,12 3.5
Student Senate Vice President Vice President 11 5 (MANY hours)
Student Senate President President 12 “ “ “
Camp Joy Camp Counselor Counselor 11, 12 N/A
Camp eXtreme Camp Counselor Counselor 11 N/A
S.T.A.R Tutor* Member 11, 12 2
Chess Club Member, Treasurer 11, 12 2
Mock Trial Member 11, 12 2-6
Yearbook Member, Computer Tech 9 It was a class + 2 hrs.
Prom Promise Fashion Show Participant 11 N/A
AftermathSoftware.com Business Owner, Programmer 9, 10 5-? MANY Hours
ViVidMachines.com Business Owner, Programmer 11, 12 5-? MANY Hours
Connections Facilitator Lead a class of 30 11,12 2

Summer Activities
Date Activity Description
Summer 2000 Yearbook Summer Camp at Denison University Various yearbook workshops and planning activities.
Summer 2001 The Ohio State University Summer Engineering Program Participated in various campus activities relating to engineering.
Summer 2002 The University of Illinois – Urbana Champagne WYSE Engineering Program Participated in a summer program where we had the opportunity to build and design buildings, robots, and basically explore the vast field that encompasses engineering.

Various Work Shops
Activity Description
OCC Leadership Conference Leaders from around Ohio met for a Franklin-Covey workshop.
Franklin Covey Training Workshop on how to teach the material through Panther Ambassadors
Engineer for a day Explored the various aspects of engineering through Malcolm Pernie engineering firm.

Other Activities
1. Also, during my eleventh grade year I developed software for the Yearbook Committee, while not on staff. This software made the job of the Indexing Staff Members multitudes easier.

2. I participate in the Panther Ambassadors Choose To Lead Program twice every year. As ambassadors, we facilitate to children throughout the Hilliard City School district on how to be leaders. During this all day program, we engage the children in team building activities and help them understand what responsibilities they have as leaders.

3. I participate in a Red Cross Blood Drive twice a year through Student Senate. In this activity we set up and run the entire school-wide blood drive.

4. I participated in an Ohio State University Math Competition, where I was told I tied for 7th in my school.

5. I proposed several radical changes to Student Senate. We changed the structure of meeting and many other various things. Most importantly, I proposed the Student Senate Scholarship designed to give money to college bound seniors who have tried their best and worked hard, yet are not in the elite percentiles in class rank. As a result of these changes the group as a whole has prospered, and in my opinion, it is an excellent group to be involved in.

MY AWARDS

Award Description
Academic Letter A varsity style letter to be work on a letter jacked. Received for a high GPA.
Lamp of Learning Pin The next award in succession with the academic letter. It is worn on the letter.
Lockergnome.com Software Award One of my programs, Mirage the Desktop Hider won an award and was sent to over 60,000 people. http://www.vividmachines.com (my website)
Wal-Mart Student of the Month Student Recognition by Wal-Mart for Academic Excellence.
N.H.S. Nomination Nominated for National Honors Society
Boy’s State Alternate An alternate for the Boy’s State Program. (A total of four people from Hilliard Darby were chosen, 2 candidates and 2 alternates).
Renaissance White Card Holder Gives students who receive a 4.0+ special privileges and discounts. (Received 10,11,12)
Honor Roll Award for students with above average GPA’s. (Received 9,10,11,12)
Identified as Gifted Special testing revealed that I’m gifted in Math and Social Studies. (Sophomore year)
Yearbook Recognition Award given to staff for their participation and perseverance.
Panther Ambassadors Leadership Group Recognition Recognized for 3+ years of participation and commitment.
Mock Trial Participation Given to participants in the mock trial club.
TGI Friday’s Restaurant Award 1 Hammer Pin, and 2 wow pins. Given for hard work and customer satisfaction.
Eisenhower National Clearinghouse Internship through the Ohio State University Awarded $500 dollars for 60 hours of work over the duration of my sophomore year. I programmed web pages and did other programming tasks.
Perfect Attendance Award Award for perfect attendance and I received a gift certificate.
Engineer for a Day Program Award of Participation.
Nominated for many of the national leadership conferences Including those on Democracy, National Intelligence, and Diplomacy
First Place Autonomous Robot At the WYSE engineering program we created and programmed the first place winning robot that maneuvered an obstacle course.
Kodak Young Leaders Award An award for above average commitment to academics, leadership, and extracurricular involvement.

As i've been told some of my awards aren't awards, but whatever.

By ugh on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

ugh

By eowfij on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

there's no way im wasting my time to read all that •••• you just posted there

By omg on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:04 pm: Edit

some of those awards are such fluff

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I don't think so... I'm really impressed with the "TGI Friday's Restaurant Award"

By lol on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

lol

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page