It sucks like a Hoover (MIT)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: It sucks like a Hoover (MIT)
By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Deferred for MIT. Probably cause I managed to bomb the Math IIc (680). I should have taken level Ic, my precalc teacher was so bad that I actually lost more math than I learned in that class, but I thought I might have still been able to pull it off.

Tim

By UNFAIR on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I got 800 in Math IIC, 800 in Physics and 760 in Chemistry and also deferred. Cheer up man! There are still many great schools out there. Btw, how many people did MIT accept early this year not counting the URMs?

By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

So far from browsing these boards I've heard of one Asian getting in. Must have had amazing ECs or something.

Tim

By help on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:36 pm: Edit

I got deferred w/ a 1500 and 750 SAT 2 average and national awards in math/science. Don't have great grades but i go to a tough school. Damn, who the hell does MIT accept. I haven't heard of any asians getting accepted this year. Help me, post stats everyone who was deferred!

By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:54 pm: Edit

My stats:

1550: 750 Math, 800 Verbal (took once)
SAT II
800 Physics
800 Writing
800 US History
680 Math II C (OUCH!) (all taken once... should I/can I take Math II C again?)

High school 3 year avg:

95.73, 3.7 GPA. There's weighting but it is obscenely messed up, I had to write paragraphs explaining it on the app so they didn't think me an idiot.

3 year rank:

3 (OUCH!) I am .16 behind the ranked 1 student. It will be between me and the ranked 1 student for valedictorian (with me probably winning), the second ranked student is an idiot (1100 SAT with INSANE amounts of prep + money) who took the lowest level classes available and worked obscenely hard to get .1 above me. This will backfire though as they finally put him in decent classes and his rank is something like 79, so he's out of the running. I have to see if they can put my 1 or 2 rank on the Mid Year Grade Report.

Tim

By Hypcos on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Same at my school. 1st and 2nd ranked students are cheerleaders with parents working in counsler office and lots of money.
I applied to MIT but got defered.
SAT's : Math 780,Verbal 540 (ouch)
SAT II :Math IIc 800,Physics 780, Writing 450 (Big ouch)
ACT 31
Few EC's but lots honors and AP's
I've been in US for only 2 yrs so I guess it's still pretty good because I had to learn English in less than a year.
Hey, life doesn't end if u didn't get in. It doesn't matter what school u go to; what u accomplish is what matters...

By hey there on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Hi, Hypcos, I think we really have something in common:) I also got deferred from MIT and I've been in the US for only 1 year.

My stats:
SAT I: 540V+760M=1300
SAT II: 800Math IIC 800Physics 760Chemistry 800Chinese(yes I'm Chinese) 600writing
Toefl 287/300
GPA 4.0 Rank 4/193
Also have some math awards

I feel DEAD when I got their decision over the phone. Oh well, no matter what other schools you're applying to, GOOD LUCK!

By Ted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Maybe it was my Asian friend from another post who you heard got it. Her stats are good, but not superb...800 verbal, 750 math, 710 math2c, 730ish writing, 760 physics. about 16/200 in class. her recs i believe were very good. ECs: 3 captain spots, some volunteering, job. she is very dedicated about sailing as well. i think her essay was about volunteering for the Asian Task Force. Her interview went very well.

My other friend who got into MIT is the perfect student. First in class, good scores, writer for newspaper, one sport I think, co-captain of math team -I'm the other co-captain, got deferred :-( She's caucasian.

Both of them got into Harvard as well.

By doh on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:24 pm: Edit

doh

By john on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:34 pm: Edit

My asian friend got deferred from MIT

1580 SAT I (800v/780m)
800 IIC
800 Writing
770 Chem
Will have taken 11 AP's (counting college math courses as AP's) by end of year
Top 3 in State Science Fair

He got accepted to Harvard though... do I smell Ivy League collusion?

By huh on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:45 pm: Edit

john, sounds like my stats exactly. is your name really john? do i know you?

By MIT sux on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:47 pm: Edit

MIT sux

By bitter on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:47 pm: Edit

no it doesn't. your just bitter u didn't get in

By sorry on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Tim, if you were female, I bet you would have gotten in regardless of race.

By MITSUX on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 03:07 pm: Edit

>>your just bitter u didn't get in <<

And you're to dumb to figure out it's "you're" not "your".

Have fun at community college.

By hello on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

>>And you're to dumb to figure out it's "you're" not "your".<<

Actually, that would be "you're TOO dumb to figure out..."

Sorry, couldn't resist =) ::Runs away::

By hahaha on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:23 pm: Edit

lol @ hello

i hate ppl who try to fix grammer online.

omg, i didn't capitalize anything!!!

By jackass on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:37 pm: Edit

grammAr

By huh on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

john? where are you from

By bump! on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 10:02 pm: Edit

bump

By calling john on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

johny, john john

By damndamndamn on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:25 pm: Edit

You're THE PERFECT APPLICANT AND SHOULD'VE GOTTEN IN. You'll definately get in RD!!!!!!!!!! how did you get a 1600 in tenth grade???????!!!!! wow, that's all I can say.

By adam.s. on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Vexore... that AIME score is a bit low, maybe that's why you didn't get in! Hehe just kidding, I don't think that would be a very big factor. Hmm, you will probably have a good shot at RD, but I would apply to a few more top schools, because you will surely get into one of them.

By hmm on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:37 pm: Edit

are you asian?
another thing, top schools LOVE to brag about how many 1600's they can turn down... how many test takings have u done? maybe consider using a 1550-1590 score instead of the "perfect" 1600.

By Gregon on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Tim, isn't that the name of the MIT chipmunk?

By MIT Mom on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:47 pm: Edit

No, it's the name of the MIT BEAVER.

The mascot of MIT is the beaver. The beaver is the engineer of the animal world, and the MIT student is the animal of the engineering world.

And, by the way, if you want to hurl any epithets at MIT, just say "IHTFP."

P.S. to all you stellar MIT EA deferees out there -- remember that EA ^= ED. Because EA is nonbinding, colleges use different stategies for admitting students under EA.

By huegonaughtspaceman on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:55 pm: Edit

MIT is only popular because people like you make it so. MIT would be like a regular technical college if it werent for good ole' boys thinking that it is the best in its field for science or math or whatever. I bet MIT is like any regular college, it's just that it has the all-powerful name recognition factor that makes it so great. And no, i did not apply to that filthy school of low-grade intellectual hogwash propaganda. I would never even consider it and i even have a 1280 SAT1 score for god's sake. I would be practically a walk-in at MIT. What a joke!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page