Hispanic accepted to MIT EA!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Hispanic accepted to MIT EA!!!!
By Junior on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Hell yeah!!

I just got my acceptance letter today I'm fukin happy. Well here are my stats since most of you will want to know:

Mexican-American, first generation

Math/Science/Engineering Magnet(public) in Southern California

SATI: 1310 (680M/630V)
SATII: Spanish 800, Writing 800, Biology 640, IIC 680

GPA: 4.0 unweighted 4.65 weighted

I've been concurrently enrolled in the local community college where I've completed 37 units and I'm working on 9 now. I received all A's as I did in the regular high school.

AP Scores

Spanish Language 5
Spanish Literature 4
Biology 3
Physics C 3
Comparative Govt 3
Euro His 3

Courses this semester: AP Chemistry A, AP Calculus B at my high school and Anthropology, Political Science, and the highest English offered at the communiy college

Awards/ECs

National Hispanic Scholar Award
AP Scholar with Distinction
Valedictorian
Torchbearer (CSF)
Student of the Year-Highest Academic Achievement (Grades 9-11)
Community College Dean's Honor Roll
High School Leadership Award
Science Bowl Team Captain
MESA (Mathematics, Science, Engineering Association)
JETS Team - MSE Competition Team
Medical Explorers Club
California Scholarship Federation President
National Honor Society
Volunteer Work at local recreation center (80hrs/yr)
Black belt in Tae Kwon Do

Work:
Since I was 15 yrs old and currently work 24hrs/wk as a data collector

By UNFAIR on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

I have higher scores but still didn't get in. Why am I Asian?

By Junior on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:29 pm: Edit

It's not all about scores man, all you people here have to realize that

By yeah on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Straight from MIT, my emphasis with the asterisks:

"RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION OF UNDERREPRESENTED MINORITIES: MIT actively seeks to
recruit and admit qualified students from minority groups underrepresented on our campus: African-Americans, Chicano/Mexican-Americans, Native Americans, and Puerto Ricans. (Asian-Americans, who comprise approximately 30 percent of the undergraduate population, are not considered underrepresented.) Some of these candidates come from disadvantaged backgrounds and through no fault of their own have received poor preparation. As with all candidates, the Admissions Committee looks for evidence of high achievement in their schools, a strong commitment to our educational aims, exceptional personal strength, and high levels of motivation; ***however, the Committee interprets their standardized test scores rather broadly***. To help smooth the transition to MIT, selected admittees are invited to a pre-freshman summer program, Project Interphase, which aims to strengthen their academic background through courses in calculus, physics, chemistry, and the humanities."

By A Guy on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Hey Junior, Congratulations! Nice work, man. See, I told ya' so!

Do you have any thoughts for a major?

By goodjob on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

WAIT UP>... are Dominicans URM??? They are hispanic but not in the list above. Junior, you deserve it. Hey, howd you do on the psat..i cant find the index cutoff for the national hispanic scholar award HELP!

By Me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Hey Junior: Easy for you to say that "its not all about scores" when you have your skin color to get you in. For whites and asians who work just as hard if not harder than you and don't get in because they're "overrepresented" it seems pretty damn fair. Congrats on getting in, but realize if you were white or asian you wouldn't have gotten in with a 1310. Lucky bastard. Don't ever tell people "its not all numbers" when you know for a fact that you have it ten times easier than whites and asians do. Go to hell

By Fish (Fish) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Word.

By yay on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Congratulations :)

By Ooop (Ooop) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Congratulations, Junior! I hope I will see you there next fall!

By Junior on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:25 pm: Edit

A. Guy,

Thanks man!!! I'm thinking electrical engineering or perhaps civil engineering. Yeah I know you supported me while others told me to not even apply. I appreciate it.

goodjob,

I got a 184 on my psat index and got the award. But I've heard as low as 182 so I don't know. Dominicans are considered URM because in the admitted students page it tells you how many URMs got in and included is "other hispanic"

Me,

You tell me congrats then go to hell? And i stand by my statement that it's not all about numbers. I am aware that it is harder for asians/whites to get in. I come from a poor neighborhood where nobody is expected to even go to college. I worked as hard as I could, harder than anybody else in my neighborhood. MIT saw this, and I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Fish,

look above

yay,

thanks

Ooop,

Who are you, where are you from??

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

800 in writing? Wish I could get that...

By AA Sucks My Dick on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:25 pm: Edit

AA is jacked. I'm happy you got in, but I'm pissed at the system. In an attempt to solve racism, the colleges uses Affirmative Action, another word for subtle racism hidden under the guise of equality. However, when you fight the problems of society with a this more subtle form of racism, it's like putting out a fire with more oxygen. This method only reproduces the racism that caused the initial societal problems. Retarded. I wish you good luck and you contribute "diversity" to your college.

By Mikeb (Mikeb) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:27 am: Edit

Way to go Junior! Congratulations... I wish Canadians like me were considered "underrepresented minorities" at MIT. LOL. If I remember correctly, there are only 22 Canadians there now. Now I think that's underrepresented! ;-)

Maybe I'll make it 23....

Mike
Alberta, Canada

By El Gato on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:24 am: Edit

People like "Me" are idiots. They dont know what you been through Junior.

By tears on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:49 am: Edit

hey el gato! i am an asian. i had to grow up in the slums of NYC in our small "little chinatown". dad worked every day, i stayed home and studied. When i found books at the library, i'd ask some friends to borrow them for me. i worked my @$$ off all high school wearing sh_tty school going to a sh_tty school. I nearly got raped, but luckily my brother came along. I carried a knife thereafter every day. U've been thru a lot? F_CK YOU! i went through more! and i still got deferred from MIT, and my stats are better than urs!

1440 SAT
800, 790, 780 SAT IIs
they only let me get three AP fee waivers...AP CAlculus 5, English 5, Chemistry 5

i'm taking four APs this year, salutatorian, and in every club my crappy school has to offer.

i got deferred cuz i was asian. no fair!

By Junior on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

all you,

yeah I'm sure there are thousands of other people that deserve to get into great colleges. I feel bad for "tears": good luck and I hope you get in RD. But I don't undertand why "tears" or any others are mad at ME, I only worked hard and ended up getting accepted. I'm not claiming to be better than anybody else. If you guys have a problem with it or have issues, call MIT or other schools and settle it with them. I'm not doing anything wrong.

By sick-of-all-the-whining on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:55 pm: Edit

JUNIOR, do not listen to any of these bitter rejectees. I have news for you ME (you disgust me btw, how can you tell a total stranger to go to hell?), life is UNFAIR, now deal with it. I agree with you that affirmative action as it is now is discriminatory, but it does more good than bad. Ideally it would be based on economic status, but it isn't (either way, minorites would have the edge). Tell me,ME, my father is a janitor and i have to work and give half my paycheck to my parents. ARE you telling me that i have no disadvantage??! I know the system is unfair right now, but that gives you NO right to accuse ppl of being undeserving, specially Junior (what did YOU get on the writing sat 2 ME??).
thats enough venting for now, THANK GOD you were rejected. You would probably see yourself better than every minority there.

OK, junior thanks! I got a 189 index (90 percentile) so i hope that gets me something. Im a junior this yr..hope come next yr I'll be n your position..Felicidades!

By too bad on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:58 pm: Edit

tears= did you try to emphasize your hardship in your essay/ application? I really feel bad for you, for you are the true victim of AA.

By anonymous on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Tears you're a complete idiot. You automatically say you were deffered because you were asian but don't take into consideration that your essay was not unique or as personal with people with your stats. For admittance into HYP and other elite schools, character tends to be THE MOST IMPORTANT factor on a candidate's application, which explains why some whites with low stats get in. It's like saying "They didn't want to hire me because I'm black" when you don't consider the fact there was something missing in your resume that the employers saw. Also take into mind that there were other asians that got into MIT.

By anonymous on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:09 pm: Edit

By the way Junior what part of LA you from?

By hithere on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:53 pm: Edit

How does someone get into MIT with math and science SAT's lower than 700. I realize junior is a good student(very hard worker) and probably very verbal (well, maybe not with the 630 on the I's... i'll give you the benefit of the doubt because of your II's score). But MIT??

By Ooop (Ooop) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Hey Junior. Ooop here. I just got deffered from MIT. But maybe I have a chance RD. Sorry most of the people on this website are complete jerks and are hacked off about AA. Anyway, check out my stats on "Help me out! Do I have a chance at MIT?" and tell me what you think.

Ooop

By A Guy on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Wow, Junior, just checked in and saw all of this bu-lsh-t that is being doled out by small, shallow people. I have a lot of MIT friends, and I can assure you that not one of them would condone or support the kind of absurd racism that I have seen propogated on this site. I think that the vast majority of the people that you will run across there will respect you for the outstanding student which you have proven yourself to be, as well as actually learning from you during that shared experience of dorm late night bullshitting that actually contributes some real world depth to the college experience.

I'm sure you'll do great!! I'd love to come work for you when you start your own company 10 years from now :-).

By calliegrl03 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 05:53 pm: Edit

tears,
i'm an african american student who feels really sorry for you. you worked so hard and it does pay off. aa can a good thing, but a bad thing as well. i hope things work out for u.

By humpty dumpty on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:40 pm: Edit

tears,
I sympathize with you, but if scores are everything (and that's why you are better) then there are more than 25,000 college bound seniors who scored better than you. There are what, maybe 10-15,000 Ivy openings, so if scores are what it's all about then you wouldn't be going even without giving the benefit of the doubt to URM's.

Hopefully you wrote about the challenges that you had to overcome making it through school. The admissions committees will definitely take that into account.

By haiyaa on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Junior attends a magnet school, has a 4.0 uw GPA, and has been working since the age of 15. Even though some of his scores are lower than most other applicants', one can easily see he is a hard worker. Although I am a little shaky on the fact that he was accepted EA and not RD (shaky only because of the scores), I'm not surprised. He earned his acceptance. Congrats, Junior.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page