Harvard EA Applicant!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Harvard EA Applicant!!!!!
By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Just two questions:
1)What are my chances?
2)Is this a good resume format?

Sidenote: I'm not posting my stats up here to be pompuous, I would just really like to know what my chances are as I'm sending all of my app materials in today.

Thanks a lot for any feedback,
Robert

Miscellanea(Not included on my resume):
Class Rank: 1 out of 631
Ethnicity: Hispanic(Cuban/Salvadorian)
SATI: 1480 (770 V, 710 M)
SATII: 800 US History, 780 Math IIC, 740 Writing
AP exams: Euro History-4, English Lang-4, CompSci-4, US History-5, Spanish Lang-5
Current AP courses: Biology, Calculus, Statistics, English Lit
College Courses: Psychology 10 @ UCLA, American Politics @ UCLA

My Resume:

-Started competing as a Varsity debater freshman year; only able to participate in one event during the 2002-2003 season due to illness.
-2000-2001 League Highlights:
-Highland High School League tournament- 1st place LD Debate-11/2000
-East High School League tournament- 3rd place LD Debate, Finalist Foreign Extemporaneous Speech- 11/2000
-Liberty High School League tournament- 2nd Place Super Congress-10/2000
-Bakersfield High School League tournament- 2nd Place LD Debate-12/2000
-2001-2002 League Highlights:
-Kern Region Debate Title- 7th Place overall Lincoln-Douglas Debate with 8 wins-2 losses in league debate, Varsity Division-2001-2002
^One of the Top 14 LD Debaters in Sierra District: Represented Stockdale High School at State and National Qualifier Tournaments
-Top 16 Varsity Finalists at the University of the Pacific Invitational debate tournament-10/2001
-Judged intra-league Novice Lincoln-Douglas Debate rounds during the 2000-2001 debate season
-National Forensics League Member with Excellence

-Advanced Placement Scholar with Honor

-Music Merit Award- Stockdale High School Orchestra- 2002
^Dedicated to playing the violin since 4th Grade. I currently play as a 1st Violinist for our school orchestra. During my years of participation, our school orchestra has received the highest rating of ‘Superior’ in a variety of county competitions; thanks to a great conductor, and the dedication of Stockdale’s String Ensemble students.

-Interact Club Member-
^Volunteer at Bakersfield Homeless Shelter
^Donated books for under-privileged youth
^Tutored elementary school children free of charge in 2002

-This year I began tutoring eight hours a week, for a fee, so that I could help pay for my car.

-National Honors Society member

-California Scholarship Federation member- Fall 2000- Present

Accomplishments Cont’d:

-Governor’s Scholar’s Award Recipient; based on Golden State Exam performance- $2000

-Varsity Letter for Academic Excellence- 2001
^Varsity Pin for Academic Excellence- 2002

-Academic Decathlon “A-team” from August 2002 to October 2002- Sadly resigned due to illness in Late October

-Guitar- I started taking guitar lessons in the Fall of 2000. I am the lead(and only) guitarist for a small garage band called “Impressment”. Other members include Andrew Hsu who plays the electric violin and the keyboard, and Mitch Foutz who plays the drums. We have not been able to play at any of the public venues but have played privately at friends’ houses.

-Computers- During the summer between Eighth grade and Ninth grade, I built a computer from the motherboard up, slowly acquiring parts from ebay.com. Furthermore, I was able to “overclock” it to run 284 megahertz faster than its normal capacity by changing the voltage and front-side bus speed of the processor. This, of course, required some ingenuity in order to be kept from overheating. I created a cooling system using 3 fans: one to bring in cold air from outside the computer case, another to pull hot air away from the processor, and a third fan to expel hot air from the case.

-Summer: This past summer I was lucky enough to attend Summer Sessions at UCLA using money that I received from the Governor’s Scholars Award and a contribution from my parents. I was able to study Psychology under distinguished psychologist, Dr. Hank Schlinger, and learnt and discussed American Politics with visiting professor, Dr. Randy Arrington of Tulane University. Balancing work and play for six weeks in West Los Angeles proved to be both challenging and entertaining. I was able to make lasting connections with students from places like Korea, China, France, and various regions of the United States. No matter what college I end up going to, I will always remember my summer experience at UCLA.

-Cars: I will be participating in the High Performance Driving Clinic at Buttonwillow Raceway in December 2003 to improve both my on-road and track driving skills.

By Greekstyle (Greekstyle) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Though it is very hard to predict you have good chances, simply as you are Hispanic and your Class Rank is awesome!

Nevertheless, I recommend you do apply to top-caliber schools and I wish you the best of luck.

Strengths of your resume:

Ethnicity
GPA
Debating

Weakness:

Mayyyyyybe your SAT I score but it is stilll very very good. That's about all really!

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Thank you...

Regarding the SATI, I seriously didn't even expect a 1480 because I did no test preparation save reading Barron's for 3 hours the night before the test ;)

-You may notice that I had to quit some of my extracurricular activities due to illness. This is what I wrote about in my personal statement. In October 2002, I was diagnosed with a sometimes fatal fungal illness called Valley Fever. I missed 3 weeks of school, and was sick until February 2003. My vice principal recommended I drop all but two classes and continue school via homeschooling curriculum. I said No. And that has made all the difference.

^Do you think that was a good topic for my personal statement?

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Shameless bump!

By Culovv (Culovv) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:19 am: Edit

whoa another cuban. Ive got a cousin in princeton and hes the only one i know thats actually at an above average school. Hows the demand for cubans? Im pretty much relying on it since my gpa is so low (damn prep school). Hopefully i do well on my sat ii on nov 1 so i can take off some of this anxiety and pressure. I wouldnt put the computer thing on there. Its so simple that anyone with half a brain can do it, so they might think youre just trying to fill up space. Ignoring that, i envy your stats and would say that you have a better chance at harvard than most of the people on this forum.

Good luck,

culov

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

So you're cuban too? Where are you located?

Do you listen to Orishas, cuban rap; they are PHAT.

By Culovv (Culovv) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Im in california. No ive never heard of them. Know anything about the demand for people like us? hahaha

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

youre in

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Culovv: Where in Calfornia are you from? I reside in the Central Valley...
-No se cuanta demanda hay por nosotros Cubanos. :)

-I hope I get in...

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Mucha! Y suppestamente para nosotros los Mexicanos tambien!

By Culovv (Culovv) on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Fiachamp: Im from Anaheim. Serdu's post gives me some hope... there's one thing i got going for me. I dont see how Harvard can turn you down. Every part of your app is average/above average PLUS you are a minority.

As for me, ive got a pretty low sat (1310), and have yet to take my SAT II. I didnt get serious until junior year so my sophomore GPA is holding me down. Do you have AIM so we can talk? Mine is culovvv. Later

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

Alright, I put you on my buddy list...

...Anyone else have any notion as to whether I seem to have what it takes to get into a top-notch college like Harvard?

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

To The Top!

;)

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Post deleted.

By Fiachamp (Fiachamp) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

Hispanic is black nowadays, huh???

Oh...BTW today, Nov 4th is my Birthday!!!!!!

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Note to CMaher: Knock it off. Now. Or you're gone. Your posts have been pushing the line for quite some time, actually. I strongly suggest that you back off and stay well inside the line for a while.

Never mind...I just found several more of your posts. You're gone now. Do not attempt to re-register.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm a Cuban too...remarkable that on this discussion board alone there are like four because in my suburban CT town I've yet to meet anyone else who was Cuban. If anybody has any comments or info about the demand for Hispanics or if affirmative action still matters please post them. I'm applying EA to Yale (see Yale EA and alot of the little ivies to evaluate my chances) and I'm hoping my ethnicity will give me an edge.

By Kkgirl06 (Kkgirl06) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Because you applied early, your range of chances with a 1480 (1400-1500 SAT range) is:
5.0-24.9%
These stats are from "The Early Admissions Game: Joining the Elite" (f.y.i.) Note that these percentages are based soley on SAT I scores, and your chances of admission could be positively or negatively affected by your other stats (i.e. GPA/rank, ec's, etc.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page