Chances at backups for an MIT deferral

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances at backups for an MIT deferral
By the.me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I posted part of this elsewhere, but I'm also putting it here (it seemed more appropriate to give it its own post).

I was deferred at MIT (which is about what was expected, it was definitely a big reach):

SAT I: 780m 700v
SAT II: 760w, 740ic, 700us, 660iic (no clue what happened), 690chem
ACT: 33
GPA: unknown, upper 3's unweighted (but class rank is mediocre)
Excellent essay, excellent rec's
Pretty good interview
1 AP last year (our school doesn't offer them before Junior year): US History, 5
5 AP's this year: Calculus BC, both English, Computer Science AB (on my own), Physics C (on my own), considering also taking Chemistry (again, on my own)
All course Junior/Senior year for college credit
Many EC's (but not too many)

I'm still not quite sure whether or not I'll be taking the Physics/Chemistry AP exams, it'll depend upon how comfortable I am with the material by March. I'm expecting (from practice and other experience) 4-5 on CalcBC, 4-5 on both English, and 5 on CompSciAB.

I'm going to send my remaining applications to RPI, CMU, RIT, and University of Rochester tomorrow morning or the next. Would anybody care to offer an assessment of my chances? Apart from CMU, I consider those to be realistic and would expect to get in to at least RIT.

Any help and guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks

Also, I couldn't find any way to stress the work I've done outside of school in my MIT application. I've worked on several large projects developing low-level hardware code for ia32 systems, but was unsure of the appropriate method of conveying this. Would it be a good idea to mail MIT a brief discussion of my work, to perhaps help my Round Two odds? Also, would it be wise to ask the Programming teacher at our school to write me an additional recommendation? He's seen a lot of my work and can speak personally for my abilities. Are there any other things that could be done to improve my odds?

By the.me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

I don't want to publicly post an admissions essay, it's not generally a good idea. But I had several English teachers (AP, excellent writers as well) read it, and they agreed. I guess you'll have to take my word.

ia32 = jargon, I guess I shouldn't have been so specific.

By the.me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 05:33 pm: Edit

(note: that second reply I made was in response to some trolling that has since been deleted)

By DB imposter on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 05:40 pm: Edit

MIT ADMISSIONS OFFICE THIS YEAR=HIGH ON CRACK

By the.me on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:01 pm: Edit

There's no need to be bitter... If you don't get in, you don't get in. Complaining like that doesn't help anything.

By Waiting on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:52 pm: Edit

I agree. I got deferred also. I've noticed that URM have been the ones getting in to MIT, not that it's bad or anything. AA works well here. For all of us deferees, we'll just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

By bump on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:21 pm: Edit

bump

By egrwgfs on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

no i think it is bad.

By yes on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Rankings for the Schools whose admissions officers are the biggest crackheads:

1. MIT
2. Cornell(Note: also nominated under category of biggest doosh)
3. Brown
4. Penn

By Tim on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Nice list of schools you didn't get into.

The word for Cornell is also correctly spelled "douche." No wonder you were not admitted.

Tim

By afoij on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:34 pm: Edit

haha...
btw, im pretty sure you can only apply ed to one school so im sure he didnt try for all of those tim

By Tim on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

MIT I know is EA so that's fine. I don't know about the others. People who call the admissions department of a college they want to get into a "douche" are probably the kind of scumbags who would apply ED to more than one school and try and cheat their way out if somehow they got into more than one.

Tim

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page