Ivy league chances after junior year in Italy

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Ivy league chances after junior year in Italy
By ezra winston on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

Reason to worry?

Iím a junior spending the school year in Italy with AFS as an exchange student. This experience puts me at disadvantage academically, as Iím having a hard time acquiring credit and knowledge of core academics Iíd be getting in the US. Iíll be disadvantaged for the SAT I and II, and my English is also weakening.

Advantages: after three months, I have gained a proficient knowledge of spoken Italian; also this experience could set me apart from other applications.

Will ivy leagues value this experience, or look only at my slightly weakened academics?

By R on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

It TOTALLY works in your favor, don't worry about it! I speak from experience. I was an exchange student with AFS to France my sophomore year and it worked great. I had the same problem, weaker academics, but the fact that you went abroad is much more important than the grades. I got into my first choice school (NYU) because of it. Don't worry about it. They care much more about the program than the grades you earned.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page