Ivy league chances after junior year in Italy

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Ivy league chances after junior year in Italy
By ezra winston on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

Reason to worry?

Iím a junior spending the school year in Italy with AFS as an exchange student. This experience puts me at disadvantage academically, as Iím having a hard time acquiring credit and knowledge of core academics Iíd be getting in the US. Iíll be disadvantaged for the SAT I and II, and my English is also weakening.

Advantages: after three months, I have gained a proficient knowledge of spoken Italian; also this experience could set me apart from other applications.

Will ivy leagues value this experience, or look only at my slightly weakened academics?

By R on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

It TOTALLY works in your favor, don't worry about it! I speak from experience. I was an exchange student with AFS to France my sophomore year and it worked great. I had the same problem, weaker academics, but the fact that you went abroad is much more important than the grades. I got into my first choice school (NYU) because of it. Don't worry about it. They care much more about the program than the grades you earned.

Good luck!

-R

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page