SAT score 1150...And still made Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: SAT score 1150...And still made Harvard?
By Rivers on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I was just curious as to how an 1150 got Carlos into Harvard. Are you pulling our legs, or is there some truth to what you are saying. If you don't mind, can you post your stats again. If you really did get in, congrats! I know that your story really inspires a lot of people and gives some confidence to those who don't think they are half the caliber of those who are applying to Harvard. What do you think got you in to Harvard? Any insight would be very much so appreciated! Once again,Carlos, congrats if you really did make it and welcome to the big leagues!

By blah on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 06:11 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By 1260Yale on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I was accepted to Yale with a 1260. My last SAT I scored 1200. It can happen.

By hi on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 06:46 pm: Edit

what are your other stats?

By MTchick on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

you will find me under the yale posts. sorry i have to go, but if you look on the Yale posts, I also have a 30 ACT and you can find me there.

By Rivers on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Hey 1260 Yale, ya mind posting ur stats. Greatly appreaciated!

By Carlos on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

my stats can be found under numerous posts. apparently, many people think my harvard EA acceptance is not deserved, so it seems to stir a lot of controversy on this message board.
sorry, folks. AA may work against your favor, but in the grand scheme of things, would you honestly wish to have been born me? so there's no need to be bitter. it isn't healthy. please chill out, folks. i'm sorry if it angers you, but it's a fact, you don't have to accept it, but please don't denounce it either.

By Friend on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 04:58 am: Edit

Hell yeah, I'd like to be born you. For Christ's sake, you are so much more privilege because you even know that you have an advantage so you just have to strive for like a 1350 SAT score whereas the rest of us have to reach for 1600s. It's not fair man, you are privileged otherwise you wouldnt have a computer and be in this board. Also, with an 1150 how do you expect to be able to handle and succeed in Harvard's rigorous academic atmosphere? It is tough for even people with 1600s. But good job though

By Dawg on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:21 am: Edit

Kid, what do you know about Carlos. You dont know what he's been through. He could be using computer at his local library, for christ's sake its free there. Don't make judgements like that on other people man when you dont know •••• about them. It's fair. There's a reason why he got a 1150 and got in, its because he's lived harder conditions than you okay. Man ignorant caucasians •••• me off.

By jocka on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:24 am: Edit

I wasn't aware that the SAT determines how well you will do in a class? Last time I checked, it was a standardized test, very unspecific. Get real people, good job carlos! Oh, my friend carlos also got in on EA to harvard. And he had a 1580. Does that help you bastards?

By JSwanzzz on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:46 am: Edit

Excuse me jocka but Carlos has a 2.5 GPA.

By ha on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Well i got a 1160 SAT and have a 4.3 at a tough school. 800x3, 780 SAT2. SAT does not predict anything

By no joke on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

dawg, you are just as discrimitory as everyone else man

By AAblowsstupidblacks/hispanics on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

anyone w/ SAT's below 1200 after studying a little is a shithead! If Carlos walked into the test, okay, a 1160 is bad, not horrible though. But, the people that take the SAT twice/three times and get below 1200/1250 are stupidshits

By Me on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:28 pm: Edit

He's mexican, what do you expect?

By AA really blows and on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 10:14 pm: Edit

what the hell "me"?.... u know what? maybe carlos didnt have all those little toys you had as a kid. he had to work to help out his family. sorry that he wasnt born with a gold spoon in his mouth. now im not saying that being rich is wrong. being rich and smart and bragging about it is. just because you got a high SAT doesnt mean anything. SAT is just GPA it means NOTHING. maybe you have book smarts, but no street smarts. and i think carlos has both. c'mon working THREE jobs you think he has the time to study? i thought u were smart enough to figure that one out. look i work one job and find it really hard to even pass my classes. its not b/c im dumb. i dont think so. i got an 1180. i dont have time. its not my fault my dad only earns 7/hr b/c he doesnt know english. i cant blame him for not earning a PhD from harvard. i work b/c he doesnt make the cut. so dont even start saying •••• like that about the typical "mexican". all mexicans are dumb right? yeah probably in ur eyes......but ur just a little too narrow minded......laterz nazi

By Gregon on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 10:34 pm: Edit

AA really...,

You're right about something. There is no reason to call him an idiot or act like he's stupid because he got an 1150. Some families would be overjoyed if their child got a 1150. Anyone who would insult someone with a low SAT score deserves the utmost contempt.

However, the reason people are so mad/irritated is that people like sungwon (perfect sats and sat IIs) were defered because of people like Carlos. Carlos did come from a disadvantaged background and had to work harder, but he still had far lower SAT performance than other applicants. I guess what irritates people is that they were told since elementary school "Get good grades, do extra curriculars, do community service, and most of all do well on your SAT's and you'll get into the top colleges." This is obviously not the case. A person like sungwon was deferred! With perfect SAT scores and excellent academic record! And Carlos, who, though he came from a disadvantaged background, had a lower performance was admitted. It makes people feel that one HAS to be disadvantaged and a minority to be accepted. The odds seem to be against them.

But the real "point of this post", I pose to Carlos. You better make the best of it. Damn well make the best of it. Because there must be hundreds of heart broken asians out there with great SAT's and grades and wondering what they did wrong, how could they have improved. Put that Harvard acceptance to good use. You were awarded something special make the best of it.

By !!! on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Me..have your fun now, protected behind your computer screen. I bet you're just a scronny little idiot who would never dare say anything to a mexican's face. Scum.

By Carlos on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Thx for all your support guys. And yes, I do intend to make the most of it. I have heard that for graduate programs, it is harder for URM students to get accepted because they recognize we had more "opportunities" and advantages over other races to get our feet into the door, so to speak. Somebody else discussed this on another post, and I do intend to succeed at this institution.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page