*THE* Stanford Early Decision Topic

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: *THE* Stanford Early Decision Topic
By Stanford University on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

STANFORD EARLY DECISION APPLICANTS -------------

- We will hear around the 17th/18th if you call, or a few days later by mail (so I've gathered from this board).

~ 23% of us will be accepted
~ 11% of us will be deferred
~ 66% of us will be rejected

- Share your scores/grades/etc if you wish, commiserate with the rest of us, and let out your anxiety!

GOOD LUCK! Let us all know what happens!

By john on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

What are your stats/EC's?

By SU on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:43 pm: Edit

I got 740-800 on SATs and SAT IIs ... 3.98 gpa

Eagle Scout [that's boy scouts]
numerous musical ensembles
lots of volunteer (museums mostly)
lots of comm service (helping people mostly and some environmental)

What about you? Also Stanford ED? I hope I don't get denied :/

By mmmddd on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:42 pm: Edit

I am doing Stanford ED and I'm soo anxious...I hate how they send everything out so late! All my friends are getting good news and its making me more and more nervous.

Does anybody know how much legacy helps at Stanford? Also, does anyone know how much it helps to have been accepted to the minority Fall Visitation Program at Stanford??

By SU on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:07 am: Edit

According to a reliable source (I think it was the STANFORD magazine)...

A legacy has roughly twice the admit rate as a non-legacy.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

I'm sure the program you speak of will help if you put it on your application as honor ... but not knowing the selectivity/description of the program ... it is hard to say.

By jtubar on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:24 am: Edit

Good luck!

By SU on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:25 am: Edit

Update!!!

STANFORD ADMISSIONS OFFICE RECORDED MESSAGE
-------------------------------------------
Early decision decisions will be...

...mailed: Tuesday, December 17, 2002

...available by phone: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 after 2 p.m. PST (call 650-723-2091)

This is to allay confusion in dates posted on the board. Call 650-723-2091 to confirm this information.

By ukopia on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

How many phone calls can the admissions office handle at once? I think that they are going to be flooded with phone calls...

By aaahh on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

do you think it'll be a recorded answering service thing or do I actually have to talk to somebody? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

By SU on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 06:10 pm: Edit

I think it will be talking to someone because the recorded message says only that applicant can request to hear the decision.

Here's what you do:
- Call
- Casually say you're an ED applicant and would like to hear your decision (as if they couldn't guess :)
- Answer their questions to verify your identity
- Whatever the decision say "thank you" in a normal tone and hang up

By Katie on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Do you suppose it is better to call, or better to wait? I have to admit, I would be fairly distressed to find out I had been rejected over the phone.

By SU on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

- I keep telling myself, calling or waiting for the letter doesn't change the admissions decision. On the flipside if you are deferred and you swear like a Marine at the admissions office worker, well...
- If rejected you'll have more time to get your spirits back up for Christmas (does not apply if you don't celebrate)...
- What if the person in the office reads your decision wrong: they say you are accepted, the letter rejects you; or the other way around?
- Don't you just want to know ASAP so that you don't have to start any more college apps? What if the letter takes until the 27th to come?

Good luck in your decision :)

By SU on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Restatement:

- Don't you just want to know ASAP so that you don't have to start any more college apps *if you don't have to* (accepted)?

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:46 pm: Edit

If the admissions office person reads your decision wrong and tells you that you're accepted when you're actually rejected, would they still take you just so they wouldn't hurt your feelings? Or is the Stanford admissions office evil enough to do that?

By SU on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I honestly don't know... but I suppose you could file some legal claim against them if that happened. Honestly, I have no clue.

Since they look you up on a computer when you call to check on a piece of you app, I assume they look up your decision on a computer. After verifying you identity (name, probably birthdate and SSN), it would be hard to read you the wrong decision. I wouldn't worry about it happening.

By kanso on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:18 am: Edit

I don't think you'd have any legal grounds... and you don't have any proof. They'll just say it was a mistake that they weren't liable for.

By yep on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 01:23 am: Edit

yea that would suck

By anxious on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 04:51 pm: Edit

can everone else please post their stats? I just wish they would send the rejection letters and get it over with!!!

By aaah on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:58 pm: Edit

my friend who applied a couple years ago (valedictorian, amazing violinist, perfect applicant) had to call and find out on her birthday...so she told the admissions lady and she was like, "Oh, Happy Birthday...you've been deferred!" My birthday's this week! AAAAAAHHHHH....I just don't want to have to apply anywhere so I can sit on my ass over vacation. Good luck everyone :-)

By SU on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:46 pm: Edit

I wouldn't call except that I don't want to finish off my other 5 college apps (2.5 done) if I don't have to. I expect to be rejected, but what do you think (my stats above)?

By anxious on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:01 am: Edit

i am the same as us SU. here is how I imagine the phone call going...

yes, I am calling to check on my admission status.

"I'm sry. you have been rejected.

Alrighty then. Thank you.

"(CLICK!)

I can't wait!!! maybe then I will have the motivation to write all the essays for other colleges.

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:59 am: Edit

Prepare for rejection, think about the oppurtunities still open if you're rejected, and it wont feel so bad

-----------

Yes, my name is ______, calling to check my admission status.

______, unfortunately we must turn down many qualified applicants, sorry, you have not been offered admission to Stanford. (I wonder if they'll give some sort of crap like that ... "don't worry, I'm sure you were qualified")

Thank you.

*hang up*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

*finish apps*

---------------------------------------

Yes, my name is ______, calling to check my admission status.

______, your application has been defered to the RD process.

Thank you.

*hang up*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*finish apps*

By ? on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Is it 2PM Pacific Time or Eastern?

By saruman on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Anyone else having mad problems trying to contact the admissions office right now?

Thanks,
Saruman

By Katie on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:51 pm: Edit

It's crazy! I can't get ahold of anyone!!!!!

By Katie on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

wow ahold is not a word. just goes to show i'm flipping out. has anyone been able to reach a live person??

By saruman on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:05 pm: Edit

not I :/,
i have to leave for my hockey game real quick too, been trying for about an hour :/

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Imagine, at least 50% of the applicants are trying to call before it closes at 5pm PST.

Doesn't look like we'll get our decisions!

:(

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:59 pm: Edit

"Congratulations, you've been admitted to Stanford"

:)

By anxious on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:01 pm: Edit

SU, you got in? congrats, mind posting your stats

By YAY!!!! on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

See above, this is the greatest day of my life, no kidding!

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Awesome job! Did they give you the same message?:

(pause, thump, thump) "Congratulations, you've been admitted to Stanford""you'll receive a packet in the mail blah blah blah"

By katz on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

I am so jealous!! I thought I had everything going for me, but apparently not. Are you a legacy?

I'm a hispanic female with interest in math, SAT 1550, SAT II 730-790, Stu. Body president, DECA president, other clubs, tons of cummunity service, volleyball, good essays, recs, 6 AP tests with 5's, 4 AP classes this year

By Phishin219 (Phishin219) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:15 pm: Edit

su and yay, can u post ur stats

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:17 pm: Edit

again, please see near the top of this thread, posted under "SU"

By Phishin219 (Phishin219) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:20 pm: Edit

congrats SU, i hope the best for u at stanford

By mychances on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:38 pm: Edit

i got into stanford too!!! i posted my stans on another topic called (i think) "I got into stanford!!!"
yeah.. this is easily one of the happiest moments of my life.

By YAY!!! on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

congratulations evryone!! by the way I'm the same guy as "aaahh" above but I thought it would be appropriate to change my username after the decision. I'm SOO happy!!!!!!!!!!! They actually didn't give me any schpeel - they were just like, "Congrats, you got into stanford" and that was it! But what the hell, I'm going to STANFORD!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Deferred. 11%, huh? So, does anyone have the stats on how many deferred people get admitted in April?? Would be VERY VERY much appreciated. Ugh, has anyone out there even been deferred? I've called all of my 28 friends who applied ED and it was all rejection/acceptances. What are we, freaks? Anyone who got deferred to regular admission at Stanford, please post, email me...anything!!

By Wannabestanf on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I was deferred.

By j on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:46 pm: Edit

SU, now that you mention that you've been admitted, how do you know that they read the decision wrong when you may have been deferred?

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:07 pm: Edit

I don't, but since they verified my full name, birthdate, and SSN, I don't think they would be wrong... however, I'm not going to tell anybody until I get the letter.

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:08 pm: Edit

I'll not going to tell anybody except my parents and this anonymous board :)

By saruman on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Hey, did they specifically tell you "you were deferred" or did they say "We cannot offer admission to you at this time"...?

Thanks,
saruman

By SU on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:56 pm: Edit

They specifically told me I was admitted.

I think they'll tell you if you're defered, rather than rejected. Most applicants are denied admission, remember.

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 10:20 pm: Edit

They said "Ah...ok, you have been deferred to regular admission." They use the word deferred. Sigh.

By Jimmy Dean on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:46 am: Edit

Don't give up... getting deferred is the most selective of the three decisions :]

By kurt on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Deferred... white male, 4.3 GPA, 1600 SAT's, lots of theater.

By Scotty on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Accepted ED. White male, SAT 1410, SAT IIs 700 (History and Writing), 620 Math IIc. GPA around a 3.7 unweighted. 5 APs (total) for high school. EC's include some community service, lots of baseball (varsity and club), and some leadership positions.

By afwoie on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:56 pm: Edit

hmm... its so hard to predict admissions these days!

By Phishin219 (Phishin219) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Any special reason y u may have gotten in scotty?Everything seems a little low for Stanford. My friend and I had a higher GPA, SAT i & II, more APs, but we were denied. Admission into Stanford is illogical real f%cked up.

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Whatever. Nobody owes you admission because of your freaking SAT scores or GPA. Maybe they didn't like your essay. The whole class can't be composed of people with 1600s. Scotty probably did a lot of interesting he's not elaborating that they saw in his app. Congratulations.

By adam.s. on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

just to add to the stats i guess...

white male from st. louis
born in jerusalem, israel, although i've lived in the US for over 16 years.
no legacy or anything cheap like that :-P

accepted to stanford

tests:
1500 SAT-I (700 verbal 800 math)
800 SAT-II mathIIc
790 SAT-II writing
750 SAT-II biology (M)
35 ACT (36 E, 36 M, 36 S, 30 R)

academics:
4.0 GPA (unweighted) which is rank #1 but my HS doesnt send rank
took four APs prior to now, taking four this year
AP scores: 5s on all - calc BC, US gov & pol, biology, compsci A
Also taking Calculus 3 and 4 at Washington University

EC:
very active in math team, i've won lots of individual awards in regional and state competitions
alto saxophone player, made all-district and all-state bands
some other things, which dont seem as important, such as Model UN, T.E.A.M.S. (engineering competition), NHS member, etc

I don't really have many leadership positions, although I like to blame that on the stupid popularity-based votes that get people into those.

Another interesting note is that I sent in a tape to the fine arts dept.

that's about it

By Scottty on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Well, to be honest, I have somewhat of a legacy and had an optional reference form from someone I worked for over the summer who was a Stanford graduate. I also come from (according to something recently published) the #8 private school in the country. I guess that makes up for "relatively" low test scores/gpa.

By lotR rocks on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:38 am: Edit

defending a lost cause diva

By = on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:25 am: Edit

yeah i know the smiley face is annoyingly perky, especially since i just got deferred. ugh. but anyway, does ANYONE know how many people get deferred and accepted later? apparently only like 11% get deferred in the first place, so i guess that's a good sign, but how much should i hope???

By Divajen2001 (Divajen2001) on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:26 am: Edit

Yeah, really. I want to know that stat too.

By smile on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:27 am: Edit

ok for some reason, =) doesn't work for a user name, but i'm the one with the 3 lines just a minute ago. k bye

By someguy on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:28 am: Edit

i'm applying regular to stanford...any statistics on the accept rate for regular vs ed?

also, i'm from the bay area-is that a bad thing?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page