Michigan? Maybe?? Also, a shot at an Ithaca scholarship?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Michigan? Maybe?? Also, a shot at an Ithaca scholarship?
By KC on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

I'm looking to study screenwriting in college, and I hear Michigan has one of the only good programs NOT in Cali, NYC, or Boston. Think I could make it out-of-state?

SAT I: 1370 (760 V, 610 M- I know, I know.)
SAT IIs:
Writing- 780
Literature- 730
US Hist.- 600 (cancel that one?)
GPA: 3.83, 4.27 weighted, taking mostly honors or APs except some math and science courses
ECs:
-10 yrs in 4-H: Pres. 2X, Recording Secretary 2X, Historian, various awards
-Writing a screenplay and fiction/poetry collection for my HS's G/T Intern/Mentor program, in addition to loads of other crap (i.e. product proposal, abstract, research paper, presentations)
-4 yrs. varsity softball
-1st team all-county softball (Washington Post and Baltimore Sun)
-Very competetive summer-softball tournament teams (this summer went to Nationals in TN)
-Played recreational softball and basketball since I was 5
-NHS 2 yrs.
-school community service club, 4 yr. member
Recs: Probably good- they're confidential
Essay: Really good. At least I think so ;)

~Some Notes~
-I wouldn't expect to play softball at Michigan.
-My family's on the fence with the money- too rich for aid, too poor to pay. Ain't that grand.
-Free tuition at U of Maryland (dad's a prof), which has no film program whatsoever.
-My high school seems to be pretty well-respected (it damn well better be, with my class rank).

Also- do you all think I could get a scholarship to Ithaca?

Thanks so much!

By bump on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 08:50 pm: Edit

bump

By Brian on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:02 pm: Edit

I say you have a good chance--'cept I am not familiar with this branch of UM (I was accepted and I going). Is it in LS&A?

By KC on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Yeah, it is. It's the Dramatic Writing major. Probably most students at Michigan don't even know it exists :)

By Um07 (Um07) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 11:25 pm: Edit

If you are accepted into LS&A at UMich, look into the Honors Program. They look for a 1400 SAT, but they will take other aspects of your app into account, including recs, if you email them asking for a review. I just got my invitation to it a week ago and the opportunities it provides seem really interesting. Good Luck, and maybe I'll see you next year!

BTW, the site for the program is http://www.lsa.umich.edu/honors/

:)

By KC on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Thanx a lot! I might go for that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page