Any URM get accepted anywhere early???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Any URM get accepted anywhere early???
By JR on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:08 pm: Edit

If you are URM and you got accepted somewhere early, post your stats. I'm curious.

By well.. on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Hispanic #'s for harvard went up like 2% this year, while blacks stayed about the same. Go URM's!!!

By Shannon on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:04 pm: Edit

African-American female, first generation college student

accepted Harvard EA

SAT I: 1590
SAT II: 800 IIC, 800 Writing, 790 Chemistry

Class rank: 2/567
GPA: 3.98/4.0 unweighted

EC's:
Concertmistress of local orchestra
Concertmistress of All-State orchestra
Emerson Scholar for Interlochen Music/Arts Camp
President NHS
Varsity basketball, captain
Varsity swimming, co-captain
U. of Rochester $20,000 humanities scholarship award
Local university $40,000 scholarship
Presidential Classroom, full-ride scholarship

Other stuff, but those were the important ones.

I also submitted a CD of my violin playing, it may have helped "separate" me from the thousands of other applicants.

I'm URM and first generation college student, which probably helped my acceptance status.

But let me say one more thing. I worked my @ss off, and I think I earned it. Just because I'm black doesn't mean I've automatically undercut myself in hopes to take advantage of affirmative action.
I worked to my full potential, and I succeeded!
Best of luck to everyone else out there.
Happy Holidays!

By JR on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Damn!!!
Let me congratulate first of all, but with that profile if you didn't get in I really would think I stand no chance.

By WOOOOOOOOW on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:56 pm: Edit

DAMN..u better be fake..helps (helps my ego)..if you havent checked out the PERFECT applicant discussion you should..you are better than half the made up examples!

By Shannon on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:00 pm: Edit

I just read that post and told affirmative action to kiss my black ass.

By Carlos on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember me?

I posted my stats earlier in October... and guess what?

Harvard accepted me!

My stats can be found in the October or November archive titled "Hispanic male for Harvard"

So for all of you who didn't think I'd make it...
well, sorry to disappoint!

By JR on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

You got into Harvard EA with an 1150 SAT??? Are you serious???? Where are you from??

By Carlos on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Maybe I just got lucky... but hey, scores aren't everything.
And I do believe that 1050 is the national average?
I'm from Baltimore.

By Idike on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:24 pm: Edit

SAT I: 1470 (790 Math, 680 Verbal)
SAT II: 750 Writing, 750 US History, 710 Math IC
ACT: 30
GPA: 4.08 weighted
Class rank: 23 out of 415
APs taken: Spanish Language(4), European History(4), Calculus AB (3), US History (4), Biology (3), English Language (4). I will be taking six more tests in May.

Some awards..
National Achievement Scholarship Semi-finalist
AP Scholar with Distinction Award
National Merit Commended Scholar
Golden State Exam-U.S. History High Honors
California Scholastic Federation Life Member
Governor's Scholar's Award
Academic Merit Search, UC Irvine Talent Search
Youth of the Month
I also participated in this summer program called COSMOS at UC Irvine and did well in a math competition.

Volunteer Activities:
Children’s Hospital Central California (Keeping ill children company)
Poverello House (Mostly cleaning and painting)
Stone Soup (Organized various activities for children to participate in)
I probably have 200-250 hours total.

Extra Curricular Activities:
Sports: Soccer (Co-captain, Defensive player of the year), Tennis

Clubs: Model United Nations (Won awards), Math Team (Won awards), Journalism (Assistant Editor), Visionary Society (Co-president and co-founder), Interserve

Hobbies: Youth Group (I'm pretty damn active.)

Employment: Kumon Center (Tutoring and Grading)
I've been working since September. It's only about 11 hours a week.

By Idike on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I am a Nigerian-American male.

By Idike on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:26 pm: Edit

who got accepted to Harvard EA.

By JR on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:59 am: Edit

Carlos -- I hope you're not lying. If you aren't, congrats. What do you think got you accepted?

By defending carlos..to an extent on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:56 am: Edit

i disagree with AD.some ppl are bad test-takers and SAT doesnt measure knowledge (I have 2x800,780 SATII's, GPA 4.0+, good ECS BUT just 189 PSAT (W63 V+M=1150!!!)NOW, Carlos, PLEASE tell me you stood out somehow..other than the 3 jobs. Cuz if not THEN its unfair..SAT's shouldn't be evrything..specially for ppl who cant afford prep.

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:59 am: Edit

Hey Idike, which high school do you go to?

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:03 am: Edit

I'm guessing Edison high?

By Idike on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:06 am: Edit

Oui.

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:22 am: Edit

"Poverello house" sort of gave away your location. You reminded me of some guy (Nigerian-American as well) from my school who got into Harvard last year. Anyways, congratulations on your acceptance to Harvard!

By Idike on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:29 am: Edit

Where do you go?

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:35 am: Edit

I'm from CW. I will be applying to Harvard regular, but I probably won't get accepted.

It just so happens that my mom also teaches in your district. What a small world!

By Idike on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:41 am: Edit

Hmm..do you know Bahram? He's a cool guy.

By j on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:42 am: Edit

Sohrabi? You bet. He's in my AP physics class. I've known him for quite a while. His brother and my brother were pretty close.

By Liz (Liz) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:02 pm: Edit

If you had good recs and great essays I wouldn't be suprised that you got in (as long as the recs/essays vouched for your intellegence). But I remember your "stats" thread going something like this:

Carlos
1150 SAT
No SAT2's
2.3 GPA
No AP classes
Three jobs
no recs. essays?
Can I get into Harvard?

So tell me, did you have good recs/essays/sat2's? If you did then a lot of this frustration with you was misdirected. Except for the SAT. But I guess people without the means for Kaplan/Princeton Review courses etc should get some break. I think that might have pushed it into the 1300ish range, which would have been good.

By Carlos on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:23 pm: Edit

As I've said before, my school does not offer AP courses.
My recc's and essays were most excellent, pertaining to some very personal issues that I would rather not post on this forum.
I took November's Sat II's.
800 Spanish, 590 math IIC, 520 Writing
I also have 8 siblings, all of them are younger than myself.
And if I had the opportunity to take the Kaplan/Princeton Review, I would have had AT LEAST a 1350 (these companies advertise a full refund if scores don't improve by at least 200 points)

By me again on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 09:05 pm: Edit

CArlos i defended you but that is just NOT impressive...520 writing..it only costs 12 bucks for a prep book..where are the EC's..if i don't get into harvard im sueing!!!

By Penn07 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:12 am: Edit

First off…I believe that Carlos is lying. I am a Hispanic with SAT's a good 300 points higher (that means above a 1450 Carlos...) and I was deferred. No worries though because I was accepted Early Decision to my first choice, the Wharton School of Business at Penn.

If anyone cares my Stats are as so:

1460 SAT I 750 verbal/710 math
SAT II's: 750 Writing/720 Spanish/670 Literature/660 Math 2c
GPA: 4.3/3.8 (Valedictorian in a class of 21 at a very competitive magnet school in Northern California)

EC's: Member Varsity Crew, placed second in state last year
National Hispanic Scholar in addition to National Merit Scholar.
President several clubs, etc. to boring to mention

Accepted: Wharton @ Penn ED, Georgetown EA

Deferred: Harvard

By Russ on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

did you come from a disadvantaged background?
did you also have to work 3 jobs?
what about your essays/recc's?

didn't think so.

By Tim on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:17 am: Edit

Carlos, just a point. While the Princeton and Kaplan review classes do help, and I think that the College Board should be making some effort to nullify the effects of these classes upon the SAT, they aren't the only way to increase your score.

The best, and also cheapest way, for a person of intelligence to increase his or her score is to go out and buy the relatively inexpensive books that are full of past SATs, and just keep taking them until you've gone through all you can keep your hands on. This is a method a lot of people use to get 1600s, drill and drill until they can do it every time on the practice test.

Tim

By geez on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:22 am: Edit

Dude, you are totally, not supposed to apply EA to Georgetown and ED elsewhere. If they had found out, the Jesuits would have had your balls (I mean this in a strictly non-pedophile way)

By Penn07 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:25 am: Edit

TO: Russ

The 1150, although low for Harvard, isn't the worse thing about Carlos, it is his pathetic GPA 2.1 or whatever. I can understand not being prepared for a test, some people just don't test well but that 2.XX represents his 4 year high school history, and that is just unacceptably low for a school like Harvard. So what if he had 3 jobs? That low GPA proves that he COULD NOT handle them in addition to schoolwork. So therefore I'm calling bullsh*t on his post unless he wants to forward me his letter of acceptance.

By Penn07 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:27 am: Edit

TO: Geez

I specifically checked Georgetown's policy before applying. Their policy specified that they preferred that students didn’t apply ED to another schools but it was by no means forbidden. In addition, I informed my interviewer that I had applied ED to Penn and I was still granted admission.

By ? on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Penn, are you first generation or are you "well-off" ? Your post makes me a little apprehensive. I have high SATs and am hispanic..i just dont hope they assume one does well because they are priviledged.

By Penn07 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:56 pm: Edit

I attend a public high school, however both of my parents are "professionals" although neither attended a first tier university

By ... on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:49 pm: Edit

"first tier," eh? the fact that they went at all lessens the disadvantaged factor.

By Penn07 on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I'm not saying I was disadvantaged...why should the fact that my parents worked hard enough to give me a good upbringing work against me?

Point being, it didn't.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page