Got Deferred From MIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Got Deferred From MIT
By damn on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Just got deferred from MIT!

By the.me on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 03:46 pm: Edit

You heard already? I'm still waiting... I guess Monday will be the Big Day.

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

By damn on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

yeah, i heard this afternoon. This sucks. My stats:
800M, 700V
750 II average
top 15% at extremely competitive high school in northeast
Many awards in math/science
very different essay
lots of ec's and very different
damn

By dood on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:07 pm: Edit

did you have an interview?

By the.me on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

*gulps*

I guess it's just the speed of the mail... I live in NY, so I'm expecting Monday. Our stats are more or less comparable, so... who knows.

I'm sorry you didn't get in, maybe you'll have a chance in the regular pool?

By the way, what exactly is a "very different" essay?

By damn on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:18 pm: Edit

A very different essay is on a very different topic. It's personal so I can't discuss it on a public board. Yes I had an interview and visited the campus. MIT like any elite school is unpredictable. My stats are not amazing, but merely in the range of applicants. But, my ec's are pretty good. I have good work experience. Hopefully I'll get in in April! Good Luck to everyone else. By the way, the deferral letter is VERY thin.

By Ted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I got deferred today as well. Depressing. 800 math, 690 verbal, 800 math2c, 760 physics, 710 writing. high gpa, rpi medal and some other awards.

Can I take January SATs for regular action? I'd like to up my verbal score. Will they take it into consideration?

-Ted

By damn on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

ted, its a pain in the ass to retake the sat's. 690 is five questions different from a 800. leave it and see what happens. You have a great gpa and rpi medal is excellent. mit is tough. i'm really upset.

By Ted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:11 pm: Edit

"leave it and see" is easier said that done. I've got one more opportunity for MIT, and I want to have the best chance possible.

It's annoying...my best friend got accepted today, and her stats are almost all under mine (except verbal). She's Asian which might have helped.

At least I can commiserate here with you people.

-Ted

By Ooop (Ooop) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Damn, please list your EC's so the rest of us will have an idea of what to expecy.

By the.me on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

January testing is, *I believe*, too late for MIT to consider in regular decision -- but I'm not sure, check their application instructions.

Sorry about the deferral, Ted. Good luck to anybody else who may be waiting.

By helper on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Many awards in math/science
very different essay

can you tell us what these awards in math/science were and then I can tell you if that was weak or not..

By here on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:37 pm: Edit

math awards: state awards for competitions, school awards in subjects
science: us national chem olympiad, stuff like that

By Ooop (Ooop) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:44 pm: Edit

But what were your EC's?

By helper on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:47 pm: Edit

math awards: state awards such as your state math league or state math association competitions are great; however, for MIT I don't think they would help too much..something like the AMC, AIME, USAMO would help..and school awards pretty much dont mean anything, it just means your great at your school, good in your state, and MIT would want to see how you fair nationally...
how did you do on the national chem olympiad?

By Me12345 (Me12345) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I have heard from numerous people that MIT defers almost everyone who applies early. A guy 2 years ago who graduated from my school was the only student in the country to get perfect SAT, ACT, and PSAT that year, and he was deferred. Another one of my friends last year was deferred. They were both accepted regular, and both go there now. Even MY DAD was deferred and then accepted!! So this has obviously been going on for a long time. So pretty much what I'm saying is don't be freaking out, you all still have a good chance regular. I am supposed to hear from them Monday, and I am expecting to be deferred, but I already got in early decision elsewhere, so I have to withdraw my application from them anyway. But it's always nice to see their decision first. I mean we all did pay the nonrefundable 60 bucks for it.

By helper on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:58 pm: Edit

definetely true, lot of deferrals are accepted as regulars at MIT. However, they do accept a good amount or earlies.

By ewww on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 09:32 pm: Edit

being asian in no way helps getting into college. i dont know where you got that idea ted.

By yep on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 09:52 pm: Edit

yea it works oppositely. asian people are better off leaving the box blank. they may figure it out thru your last name... but they can't KNOW for sure which keeps you out of the whole aff. action pile.

By Lurker on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:26 pm: Edit

To me12345,
This is a bit off topic, but when did your Dad go to MIT? I was '78, and my daughter just got accepted into Cornell Engineering ED (like you.) BTW, I got accepted early action to MIT, but I don't think the 17 year old version of me would now be admitted EA, almost 25 years later.

By questions on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:56 pm: Edit

anyone know what percentage of deferred applicants are accepted? can people not in the top 10% of their class make it into MIT?

By Me12345 (Me12345) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:59 pm: Edit

He graduated in '77 actually, I think. He double majored in CS & EE, and Poli Sci. He was in a frat, I forgot the name... Pi lambda phi, I think. He graduated with like a 3.9 I think. He's crazy smart haha.

By aa on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:09 am: Edit

Does it really matter if you leave the box blank if you're Asian? After all, colleges don't need to get it from your application--somewhere in the whole process, you probably put it down when you registered for your SAT test (which probably explains why I got something about Asian American affairs from Harvard in the mail). Besides, your ethnicity also shows up on your school transcript (at least on mine it does).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page