Lowered self-esteem

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Lowered self-esteem
By wjin06 on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 11:01 pm: Edit

What I'd like to know is whether colleges prefer to see a hard worker or a smart worker.. after reading through several so-called "stats," it's seems amazing that any college could reject these students.. I'm not like really stupid, but in terms of resume, I really don't think I could compare, but I try really hard.. anyway, i don't know if this made any sense or if you need more info or something..happy posting!

By dotmom on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Try to keep things in perspective. The students on this board are the ones who are obsessed with getting into the "right" college - and who have accomplishments worth bragging about - so they do. Trying hard is worth a lot - for one thing, it means you'll get the most out of any college. There are lots of quality schools out there. Harvard, Princeton and Yale don't have a monopoly on the education market by any means. Good luck!

By io on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I am going to try, in the following sentences, to help repair your self-esteem.

As a general sort of statement, "colleges" (especially ones where nearly all applicants have outstanding GPA and test scores) are going to have to look at the "you" beyond the numbers. When applying to a "hyper competitive" school, having a 1600 and 4.0 is excellent, but having a 1430 and 3.88 doesn't mean you're out of the contest.

Sure, winning a statewide science bowl winner, being a national chess champion, or the best basketball player in your state is going to help people. "Colleges", however, realize that not everyone is endowed with the oppurtunity to be awarded such honors.

What "they" want to see is that you take advantage of what you can, and show great commitment. Tutoring children in an orphanage for years, being a Boy Scout for years, being in music ensembles for years: each of these activities represents extreme commitment and shows that the activity is meaningful to you (whether it is or your parent's forced you to do it doesn't matter). None of these require you to be one of few who wins an award/honor.

Ask yourself: Does a one-time accomplishment that only few can get outweigh years of commitment to an activity? I would say to you: each is significant, and holds weight.

Take this example:
STUDENT ONE
key club (3 yrs) - president
environment club (2 yrs) - secretary
save turtles club (1 yr)
8 other less meaningful clubs (1 yr or less)
3rd place state science bowl

STUDENT TWO
Boy Scouts (7 yrs) - eagle scout
Boston Youth Symphony (4 yrs)
+ a couple other activites/community service

-- Well, who would you rather have?

One thing some of these "super students" also lack is experience. Many of them have laundry lists of activities and awards ... but what about an internship at a law firm or technology company, etc... this shows a "college" much more promise than a student who just tries to "do it all".

"Colleges" like people who are going to turn around after college and use their education. So showing promise like having a *meaningful* job (not mcdonalds, not target) is going to carry weight.

If you'd like any more specific advice to your situation let me know more about you, where you want to go to college, etc. If you'd like to contact me personally let me know.

By megan on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

io-i would really really like to ask you about my situation if you have time, but your email address wasn't available on the board. my email address is megan485@msn.com. the college admissions process is so horrid and depressing!!!

By college crazy on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:28 am: Edit

save turtles club :)

By io on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Hi there, I sent you an email, but here's my email address again: tpuddy2000@yahoo.com.

By seeker on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:14 am: Edit

The speck of dust part is quite true.

By hmph on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:43 am: Edit

whether one makes it to the ivys or not u remain a speck of dust..cuz this world is that vast..... :P

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page