Junior from New York

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Junior from New York
By K10 on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Hi... I was just wondering what you think that my chances are so far... I only have a little information but if anyone could comment on it, I would appreciate it. Also, any comments on anything that I can work on would be great too.. Also, how important does everyone think it is that I take AP Spanish next year...

PSAT 77V 78M 80W
SAT II 800W
Grade Pt- 102.3 (Weighted)
Rank- 1-5 out of ~300
APs-
Last year- Eur History 5
This year- American History, English Language and Rhetoric, Bio
Next year- Art, Psychology, Government, English Literature, Calculus (Maybe Spanish)

Activities
Varsity Soccer (captain next year), Varsity Cross Country, Varsity Winter & Spring Track (captain this year and next year), Varsity Basketball
Secretary Outdoors Club
Amnesty International & Student Awareness
Drama- 3 Leadership Positions
Math Mentorship
Science Club
Science Newsletter
Writer for Yearbook
President National Honor Society
Art, Math, Science, Spanish Honor Societies
Independent Art Courses

Volunteer:
School for learning disabled children (over the summer)
At soup kitchen for homeless a few times a year
Organized garage sale, clothing drives, and personal hygiene drives at my school
From ages 6-12 and 16-17 I have collected cans and bottles and given the money to the homeless (I was honored by a national magazine for my service efforts as a 12 year old... I don't know if this matters)
Outdoors Club is involved in many service projects

Awards
Poetry Award for Magazine (published work)
Science and Math Contest Awards
English Science Math Awards in school....
Prob National Merit (235)
Other stuff too, but nothing great :)

Does anyone have any input on my "stats"? Do I need more service projects? I really want to go to a top school like Yale or Stanford... I know that I don't have that much information, but I was wondering if you could respond to the little that I have... Thanks so much

By Mjp555 on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I dunnnnno... maybe... you need to finish ur junior year first and then youll know better! For now, dont worry! You have a long way to go before college

By this kids full of it on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 09:45 pm: Edit

lol, BULL ••••, how can you play 5 varsity sports? unless there are 5 seasons, I know that in my state that is illegal according to high school standards. But hey, that's what happens when you pull •••• out of your ass and throw it onto a sheet of paper. Good luck, bull shitter

By K10 on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:02 pm: Edit

It is allowed in my district bc my track coach allows me to practice alone after soccer/basketball practice and run in the meets that don't conflict with soccer/basketball games... (therefore, I run in a majority of the meets) I don't understand why you had such a negative reaction to the fact that I play five varsity sports anyway... Even if I had been lying, why would you have cared?

By Get a clue on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Sorry buddy.... I doubt that you run in a "majority" of the track meets and, at the same time, play in a "majority" of your other games. I've seen four varsity sports played before.. yet only in rare and extremely unusual circumstances. The truth is that, even if you 'say' you play 5 varsity sports, you aren't REALLY committed to each and every one of them. K10, this might even backfire on you when you submit your college apps; colleges aren't looking for 3, 4, or 5 sport athletes anymore. Instead of looking for the well-rounded 'person', colleges look for the well rounded 'class'. More and more accepted athletes are playing just two or one sports---committment and SUCCESS (i.e. national recognition) in one sport is valued more than spreading yourself out in 5 sports (with no recongition for any of them, according to your stats).

By bump on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 05:17 pm: Edit

bump

By K10 on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I'm sorry people can't get beyond 5 sports....Get a clue...thanks for your opinion about commitment to one or two sports and that it might not help on my apps to have 5. What about the other stats? What do u think? Should I just wait until this year is completed to think about my chances? Is it necessary to take AP Spanish? Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page