MIT/Harvard/Duke/Princeton/UVA/Tech?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: MIT/Harvard/Duke/Princeton/UVA/Tech?
By haiyaa on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Hi, I posted something similar to this back in October, but my SAT I scores are different now (80-point diff.)... Would anyone happen to know how good my chances are at MIT, Harvard, Duke, Princeton, UVA, and Tech? I wonder if Tech will reject me because the admissions officers might think I'm not taking the school seriously. Also, will the 700 Writing score hurt my chances? My essays are all very good, according to my teachers and friends (who are all very credible). And this post may look like it says a lot, but that's only because I throw in a lot of useless comments. :) I really don't have much going for me at all.

I didn't include this info last time, but I am an Asian-American (Vietnamese-Chinese mix). I can read and write Chinese, Korean, and Japanese and speak some Vietnamese and Chinese (though not fluently).

SAT I - 1540 (760 V, 780 M)
SAT II - 700 Writing, 800 Chemistry, 800 Math II C

unweighted GPA = 4.0 through junior year, might have one B+ 1st semester senior year (Damn you, AP Gov XD)
5's on all AP Chem, Comp Sci AB, US Hist, and French exams taken so far (currently enrolled in AP Gov, Calc BC, and Statistics)
^ AP Scholar w/Honors
non-ranking school

Student at TJHSST, whose schedule permits 7 courses per year.

French Honor Society Member
~3-year member of the Leo Club (community service)
~4-year member of two Asian cultural clubs (officer one year of Asian Awareness)
3-year member of Toastmasters (public speaking)
Summer internship at the Naval Research Lab in Washington, DC
Mentorship (internship during school)@the NRL*

Ranked 4th on Level 4 National French Exam
Honorable mention in the regional Victor Hugo Bicentennial French Essay Contest (Feb '02)
Nat'l Merit commended -_-`

I'm an amateur digital artist. A poem I wrote was to be 1 of 33 out of thousands of entries to be recorded professionally on an internationally acclaimed collection The Sounds of Poetry.

*In mentorship, I am working on an ongoing project involving the development of a membrane electrode assembly for direct methanol fuel cells incorporating single-walled carbon nanotubes. My name will be published in a few scientific papers, and this project is (for the most part) my work, with occasional help from the actual researchers at the lab.

My extracurriculars are really weak. That's what I'm most concerned with, but mentorship eats up most of my time. Recs will be awesome and essays so far have been sweet. I'm also worried because I'm sure there are a lot of other applicants out there with ~1540 (or 1540+) SAT scores (I mean, just look at how many post on this site!!!), so I don't think my chances are all that good. I don't think the Writing score helps either. :( Help? Feedback? -.-`

OH, DEAR GOD, THIS IS A LONG POST!!! I'm sorry!!!

By Jonathan Wong on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Wow nice stats, you definitely will get into Duke and UVA, the others are almost no guarantee now matter how great your resume is. BTW off topic but when you say you're Chinese/Viet, do you actually have Viet blood? Just curious because I'm an ethnic Chinese born in Vietnam, my parents are of Cantonese descent who immigrated to Vietnam. We moved to Toronto when I was just five.

By haiyaa on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Yep, I have plenty of Viet blood in me. ^^ My grandfather was Cantonese, my grandmother's Hainan-ese mixed with Viet, so my mother's more Chinese than Vietnamese, but she married my dad who is half-Chinese and half-Vietnamese.

Hahahaha, I just realized that I never specified in the first post that I'm a girl (but you could probably tell from my writing style). To anyone who reads this, does my gender make any difference in admissions?

By Jonathan Wong on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 12:08 am: Edit

Wow that's awesome, yeah I kinda resent the fact that my parents never taught me Vietnamese (Even though I have no Viet blood, I came from the land so I should have learned to speak it. That would be like a Chinese American not learning any English). I guess it's the whole keep your ethnic identity and no acculturation thing (a trait that many Chinese possess which is a damn shame, maybe that's why they are being picked on in Southeast Asian countries all the time). Anyways about my stats:

4.63 GPA Weighted
4.00 Unweighted

SAT's- 1520

780- Math
740- Verbal

SAT II's-

Math 2C- 760
Writing- 730
Chemistry- 790

AP's:

Chem- 4, Physics- 5, Eng Lang- 4, U.S. History- 5, Bio- 4, Stats- 5

Currently enrolled in Calc AP, Brit Lit AP, Art History AP, Span IV AP, Government AP

EC's: President- Asian Student Association, Fundraiser- Interact, California Scholastic Federation treasurer, ASB leizon. 4 years soccer and tennis. I guess these are pretty decent EC's for the most part, as for anything else I can speak fluent Mandarin and Cantonese if that helps. Being Chinese doesn't help when it comes to college apps.

Schools I applied to- Brown, Columbia, Dartmouth, Yale, Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley. Out of all of those, my first choice is Columbia.

What do you think?

By Me12345 (Me12345) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

The thing about schools like Columbia is that for every person that's accepted, there are like 5 other people who weren't, who could have just as easily have been accepted. Yeah I think you're more than qualified to go there, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll make it in. What are your backups, man?!?!?

By haiyaa on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Jonathan-> I don't see why Columbia wouldn't accept you. I think you're a very competitive candidate for all of the schools you applied to. ^^

By sara on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:55 am: Edit

yea i would have to agree with the other post...you have great stats and you should pretty much get into duke and uva, but there is really no way to determine about harvard or princeton. i had a friend with similar stats to you who applied last year to harvard and got in EA and then a friend this year with similar stats who was deferred EA. good luck!

By asds on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:50 am: Edit

duke + uva + tech for sure, others no one can be positive!

By haiyaa on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Thanks, everyone. :) The Harvard/Princeton/MIT decisions seem kind of random at times, don't they? o_O

Me12345->My backups? Those would probably be Duke, UVA, and [worst-case scenario] Virginia Tech. I really want to get into MIT though.

By haiyaa on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 03:20 am: Edit

Uhh... Writing SAT II raised to 790. Does this change anything?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page