In at Harvard EA; is it ethical to shop for aid packages?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: In at Harvard EA; is it ethical to shop for aid packages?
By wondering on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 01:49 pm: Edit

I was wondering whether if I am in at Harvard EA, is it ethical to apply to other schools just for the sake of finding the best finanicial aid package and then to use it to get harvard to up my package.
Alot of kids at my school are trying to get into the ivies, and I know that I will probably be accepeted to most schools (which I will inevitably turn dow), thus 'taking' spots away from my friends.

By yaleapp on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Don't give a crap about your friends! It's your life, if you want to shop for packages, do so! If i were you, i would definetly shop around. See what you like, but keep in mind that you were given a wonderful opportunity at harvard

By I HATE HARVARD on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 11:01 pm: Edit

IT IS TOTALLY EHTICAL! There's a reason that Harvard EA is nonbinding. Harvard costs about 40,000 a year, and depending on your financial situation a large part of that won't get covered. You don't owe it to Harvard to go there when you might save thousands somewhere else. They play GOD with your life during the admissions process, you have every right to shop around now. You don't think they were thinking to themselves "well, is it ethical to not accept this guy?"

By Alincoln on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I'm in the same situation and in the same dilemma. On one hand, I am in dire need of a good package. On the other hand, I might be filling up spots for somebody's else's dream school. It's not about being ethical to Harvard but about giving other classmates an opportunity. Please respond.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page