Chances of getting into MIT, Case Western, Mellon or Berkely

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances of getting into MIT, Case Western, Mellon or Berkely
By Matt Crowley on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

GPA/Classes:
-------------------------------------
Currently a junior, getting a 4.1 with 1 AP and 3 Honors courses.

Standardized Testing:
- 99%tile across the board on past tests.
- I just got my PSAT results back wiht 208 SI (98%tile), projected NM commended since last year's Ohio cutoff was 200.
- I am taking SAT beginning of 2003 (yes I have waited), but after taking numerous practice exams projected 1400+. I am taking the SATIIs soon.

Extracurriculars and Achievements:
- Student Council
- Literary Magazine
- NHS
- Head of Student Technologies/Manage school sites and servers
- Voluntered 1000+ hours to installing new labs and equiptment wihthin the school over 3 summer span
- 1st place in Click! First annual web design/programming contest
- Wrote a complete network/workstation security suite for my school which has replaced programs that the school was using such as WinShield and Fortres 101
- Featured in multiple newspapers, including the main frontpage article in the business section of Cleveland's 'The Plain Dealer' and smaller papers as well
- High ranking in math in Ohio Scolastic Achievements testing
- Planet Source Code (pscode.com) featured developer for creation on Virtual Desktop for Windows, which will also be published onto CD for national distrobution

Based on the following information, what do you think my chances of getting into MIT, Case Western, Mellon or Berkely are?

Thanks,
Matt Crowley

http://www.greenwave.org
http://www.amoebasolutions.com

By lol on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:39 am: Edit

MIT - no chance
Case Western - 50%
Carnegie Mellon - little/no chance
Berkely - no such school, therefore 0% chance.
If you meant UC Berkeley, then no chance unless you establish CA residency by the time you apply.

You might wanna try Yukon School of Technology and Engineering -- it is really good and I bet you would get in.

Peace out

By chrisd on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:47 am: Edit

From scores and such I've seen here, I'd say your chances at Case are excellent, and at Carnegie Mellon, it would depend on what school you're applying to. Computer Science and electrical/computer engineering are very tough to gain admission. You might look at CMU's summer Pre-College program, it's described on their website. My daughter attended it last summer, and if you're interested in more info on living at CM, I'd be happy to supply details.

By the.me on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Ignore "lol," he has no idea of what he speaks.

I'm applying to MIT and CMU as well (MIT early, wow am I nervous...), and wanted Berkeley but I couldn't afford the travel expenses... Anyway...

So far, you look like a viable candidate at any of your listed schools. Get cracking on those tests! MIT is a stretch for most anybody, but if you don't try, you're a fool. With CMU, it really depends. Their School of Computer Science is extremely selective, but many of their other departments are more open.

On a more personal note, I like your virtual desktop manager. It's very simple, yes, but it looks useful! Having used various X (*shudder*) window managers for years, I can say that the single desktop is something I certainly don't miss from Windows ;)

Anyway, good luck with your schools!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page