WHY GOT YOU IN OR DIDN'T

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: WHY GOT YOU IN OR DIDN'T
By interested on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 11:06 pm: Edit

I am curious to find out what the people who did get in think really helped their case in the admissions office. Any and all comments are welcome. I'm a senior, so I know this really won't help me, but I would like to know anyway. I think it will be a good way for people to get out some anger. Please don't be mean to others-- or rude to start with. Thanks so much! Happy posting!

By Eric on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I have seen plenty of people fretting about whether or not NYU will take them because their SAT scores is "only" in the 1200's, and their GPA is "only" a 3.7.
Here's me:
SAT's: 1180 (640V 540M)
SAT II's: 770W, 620L, and 440 (yes, that's right, I had a bad test day, and I got a 440)on math IC.
My extracurriculars included:
-Evening filmmaking courses,
-University courses during the summer,
-Lighting director and technician for school plays,
-Classical guitar lessons,
-Ex-member of the Seattle Astronomical Society,
-Editor/Cartoonist for School newspaper.
I never took an AP course because the private (religious) school that I attend doesn't offer them, and since I'm not the athletic type, I never played a sport.
However, I put a lot of time and effort in to my essays, and I found some great people to write me some recommendations.
I don't see how anything other than these two aspects of my application could have played the most powerful role in the success of my application.
At any rate, I just think that no one should feel completely discouraged about their stats before giving it a shot.
What do you folks think?
Eric

By Eric on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Also, my GPA is a 3.6 (forgot to mention it last time).

By KevinW on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Dear Interested...

For what it's worth, my son got into Notre Dame EA because he had high achievement in general...

1550 SAT composite
4.0/4.0 GPA
1/525

not outstanding EC's, but was a Natl Merit Semifinalist and an Eagle Scout, which is the highest honor of the Boy Scout organization.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page