After cornell deferal I need to know my chances at my other

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: After cornell deferal I need to know my chances at my other
By mikes80346 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I got defered early from Cornell ED and want to know my chances at the other schools I'm now going to apply to. Here are my stats:

Gpa: 8.167 (out of 9 weighted..it's wierd)
comes to about a 3.7 unweighted 4.1 weighted

SAT:1400
730V 670M

SATII
700 IC 690 writing 660 lit

this year classes:
AP Psychology
AP European History
AP English
AP Statistics
Honors Wind Ensemble
Italian 2
TV Production

Ec's I'm going for the well-rounded student...I'm not amazing in anything but I've also had some success and leadership in a good amount (but I don't think grocery list) of activities.

Awards and Honors:
Honor Roll
National Leaders of America nominee
Who's Who Among American High School Students

In school ec's:
Mock Trial- State Champions/ 17th in the nation 9,10,11,12
Model Un-representative at Yale and Harvard Conferences 10,11,12
Fantasy Book Club- Founder and President11,12
Jewish Culture Club- Secretary 9,10,11,12

Athletics
Hockey- JV Captain 9, 10 , varsity in 10,11,12, youth hockey 9-12, Europa Cup hockey leauge 9-12, selected to MA State Selects Hockey Team 9-12,
Track- mile and 1/2 mile- bay state leauge champs, undefeated state champs 10-12

Music
Alto Saxophone
Marching Band 9,10,11,12
Pep Band 9,10,11,12
Alto Saxophone Lessons 9,10,11,12
Bass Guitar
Guitar Club (President)9,10,11,12
Bass Guitar Lessons 9-12
Bassist in rock band 9-12- numerous paid gigs in boston area clubs/parties

Employment/Community Service
Newton Community Education Interoffice Correspondent 9,10,11,12
Great Harvest Bakery 10,11 Peetís Coffee and Tea 12 Peer Mentor 10,11,12
Career Center Aide 11,12 Guidance Aide 12
Project Costa Rica (community service project)summer of 12 150 hrs comm service

Also I recieved a prestgious internship at the Boston Herald and have been working as a teen correspondent writing articles for a weekly teen section. 11,12

two great recs
very solid essays

Lastly, my "hook" is (I'm hoping) that I'm graduating early and doing a semester abroad in the second half of my senior year at Hebrew Univ. in Israel..taking full undergraduate course load and have internship there.

I'm applying to:
Cornell (roll over from ED)
Columbia
Northwestern
U mich-ann arbor
Duke
U penn
JHU
Georgetown
BU
NYU
Emory

chances and comments (specifically about what you think about ec's and semester abroad) thanks.

By yaleapp on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I play hockey from NJ, and am applying to Yale. You have really great EC's, and if your MA Selects is what I'm thinking, since MA is frekin known for amazing hockey, I can honestly say I'm shocked you weren't recruited by Cornell, Harvard, etc. I think you should say "F" the crap, apply some more ivies with varsity hockey teams, ie princeton, yale, harvard, DARTMOUTH....

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

You got deferred...geez....you sound like a pretty active/intelligent person.

By mikes80346 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 06:08 pm: Edit

thanks both you....MA State selects doesn't mean I'm like in the top 15 in state, there are about five MA State selects teams but it is still very competetive. The problem is I'm not big enough to play college hockey thats my big problem. I think it may have been SATIIs that hurt me. Any percentages would help and comments on semester abroad and ec's. Thanks

By mikes80346 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:59 pm: Edit

c'mon....some chances ???

By mikes80346 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 11:10 pm: Edit

chanceS??

By mikes80346 on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:29 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Realistic on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:32 pm: Edit

you will get rejected from just about every elite school that you apply to. If you can't get into Cornell, you can't get into any of those other schools. Perhaps BU or NYU, but you'll probably end up at a state college major in physical science and eventually returning to your high school to teach PE. Don't feel bad, though, PE teachers are the most overpayed teachers for what they do. While teaching, you'll be able to see all the graduating seniors go off to Cornell and Harvard and all the schools that you were rejected from.

By a bit more realistic on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:43 pm: Edit

wow...that's really not realistic at all....

I got deffered too man (Upenn)....it sucks...but I am really conviced after looking at all these defferal posts that SATs really do not mean nearly as much as the posts on this board and others claim they do. Work on your essay and you will have a great shot at all these schools (especially with those ECs)...I'm applying to a lot of the same schools that you are applying to....maybe I'll see you next year...lol...good luck

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Sorry, Mike, it's either being a gym teacher or possibly working a school food service line. I'm really sorry about that.

Nyuk, nyuk (we're just kidding, don't panic).

But don't ask us, you can get a much better sense by looking up each of you school's middle 50% SAT scores and median gpa's then comparing to yours. Virtually every school has a link off of the admissions page that is entitled something like admitted class profile or quick statistics or something like that.

Sure your EC's are relevant, but generally I think they are secondary to your academic credentials. When it gets to that level, I'm sure you'll be perceived as very competetive.

The other place to look is at the scattergram data that somebody else posted in another thread and you can probably get a pretty good comparison because it's from a mostly white school in Maryland.

Just fyi, if you look at the college board web page, your composite 1400 SAT places you in about the top 4-5% of white people taking the test. That means that very roughly 35,000 other white test takers who scored as well as you did. Since there are only 8 Ivy's and each of them only can take 1000-1500 tops, hopefully you can understand why it's a crapshoot for anybody that doesn't have a score that puts them in the top 1% or so.

I think that if you look, you'll find that you have a very good chance at all of your choices with the exception of Columbia and Duke.

Best of luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page