Do i have a shot at all????????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Do i have a shot at all????????
By mlave on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:40 pm: Edit

1140 SAT
3.35 unweighted GPA(3.45 weighted)
7 honors classes thru junior year
varsity baseball(2 times all county)
varsity basketball
national honor society
french club
speech and debate club
mock trial

what are my chances at penn state, boston university, and maryland?

what do i haveto do to get in if i do not have a chance

please give me percentages for these schools with my stats.

thank you -mike

By YALEAPP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I dont think you have a chance at any of those schools except penn state. I'd say a 5 percent chance at bu, maybe a 10 percent chance at maryland..and at penn state maybe 20 percent. Your sats are very low. Unless you intend on playing baseball at your schools i would invest in some safety schools

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:44 pm: Edit

do you have other qualities? are your recommendations/essay well-written? you never know, i wouldn't give up hope, but make sure you have a safety that you like, too.

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

wait, are you a junior? if so, please do some community service activities, they will help you out a lot... but i'm no good at percentages, sorry.

By mlave on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

once again,what would be my chances if these were my stats which they should be at the end of the year

1300 SAT
3.4 unweighted GPA(3.5 weighted)
7 honors classes(3 AP classes senior year)
(i have also taken french for 3 years)

EC's
75 hours community service
national honor society
varsity baseball(2 times all county)
varsity basketball
french club
speech and debate club
mock trial

good rec's

BTW i am a white male who lives in NJ

please evaluate my chances at penn state, maryland, boston university and rutgers.(i am applying ED to boston university)

percent chances would be appreciated
-thank you, mike

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Some of you people are viscious. I did not know that this board was reserved only for the elite. It's kind of lame that you are offended by someone putting forth an honest question because they don't match up to your egotistical self.

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:00 pm: Edit

hmm. i'm new to these forums. is 'bump' used to call attention to inappropriate flames and etc. on the boards?

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Although his stats *are* pretty low

By ABC on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:09 pm: Edit

1. That was obviously not NYMom. C'mon, like we haven't seen enough people using somebody else's username...!

2. mlave- What are your SAT II scores?

You might want to do a lot more community service etc, and of course, if possible, raise that SAT score.

Good luck!

By BCMY on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:10 pm: Edit

WOW, what a harsh chat everybody! To "idiots" - if you were the original poster of the stats, don't attack other people just becuase you'll have a hard time getting into janitor college! The previous posts are honest. By right this person shouldn't even be allowed to post those stats here!

By ABC on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

allison:

The term "bump" is used when somebody wants a reply. Every time their is a new reply this thread is placed higher on the main page, which will allow people who may have previously missed it read it. It keeps it on the top.

By Playskool on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:13 pm: Edit

I'd say check out a local community college. That's your best bet.

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

OK....thanks

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

OK....thanks

By mlave on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

ABC, thank you for not throwing an array of slurs my way.

these are going to be my improved scores at the end of this year.

1300 SAT
3.4 unweighted GPA
(3.5 weighted)
took french for 3 years

SATII's

writing-650
mathI-680
literature-630

EC's
about 100 hours community service by end of year
-speech and debate club
-mock trial club
-french club
-national honor society
-varsity basketball
-varsity baseball(all county 2 years in a row)

good rec's and essay

what are my percent chances at penn state, boston university(ED), and maryland(ED)

-thanx ABC, i really appreciate your time.
BTW i have taken 7 honors classes and will be taking 3 AP's in my senior year/

By Concerned on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Why do the stat's keep on changing? I didn't know you could do another 50 hours of CC in 10 minutes!

By ummm on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:16 pm: Edit

You're going to have some problems if you're applying to two colleges ED.

By mlave on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:17 pm: Edit

i just want to know what my chances would be if these were the stats i acheived at the end of my senior year.

what do you think concerned?
can i have a percent chance for the schools that i wrote down?

thanx a lot

By Cowboy on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Boost that SAT partner!

By mlave on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:18 pm: Edit

can anyone please just gimme chances with these new stats!!!
thanx

By Concerned on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:19 pm: Edit

You have about a 10% chance at BU, 20% at penn state, and 15% at Maryland.....Sorry

By Cowgirl on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I'll have to add to what Cowboy said, that GPA is a little low also

By keep your hopes up on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Don't forget that colleges look at other factors: essays, ethnicity, ECs, etc. Work on your hook.

By NYdad on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Some leadership positions would help you out.

By BillBob on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Your hooks as small as my Ppenis, so you better watch out!

By Netbios on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Mercy, that SAT is low.......but you'll be fine, I guess.

By Geios on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Don't worry mlave, it will be okay......IF YOU GET SMARTER STUPID!

By hopeful on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

hey guys do you think that i have a shot at the following colleges?
michigan(ED), william and mary, northwestern

my SAT is 510 math and a strong 540 verbal
total 1050, im kind of bad on standardized tests.

GPA-3.10 which rounds to a 3.8
SATII
literature-789
math-650
french w/listening-800
spanish with listening-790

i have no EC's
do i have a shot at all at these colleges
i appreciate your incite!!!!
thank you fellers

By Gregon on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:32 pm: Edit

He's not talking about Harvard he's talking about Penn State. I say you have a good shot.

By Dontgiveup on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Hey Hopeful! Good job on the french and spanish SAT II's, but what'll kill you is no EC's, no Community Service, and no Leadership positions. So, you could instead apply to a 2 year community college, then boost up your grades and activites, and then apply to a real school. I hope that helped! Good luck!

By try again on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Hopeful, retake your SATs, I don't believe you're bad at standardized testing if your SAT IIs are pretty decent.

By UNC_RULES on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:30 am: Edit

Mike---you will get in to all those schools. Keep up the hard work and you'll get in!

By R on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 07:44 am: Edit

Hopeful, screw all these people who are putting you down. They don't know what the hell they're talking about. You have a B average and an above average SAT score. You have a VERY decent shot at Penn State. I know many people in my school who have been accepted with no ECs and lower credentials. Good luck!

-R

By remi martin on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 11:07 am: Edit

i think youll get into most, boston college might be a slight reach though.
best of luck especially for ED!

By allison on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:05 pm: Edit

ummm... so yeah, the last comment i actually left was the one asking about "bump." i promise you, mlave, i didn't say the other things. i think you need to do some community service, and if you ARE a junior, perhaps invest in an SAT study book or something. i don't really know how effective they are, but some people swear by them. and remember, you never know!
allison

By ABC on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 09:16 pm: Edit

mlave-

Hi, it's me ABC again.

A 1300 on the SATs will make your chances to places like Boston University much better, and will most certainly give you a better shot at Penn State.

100+ hours of community service will take care of the EC issue. Although colleges don't see 100 hours as OUTSTANDING (crazy, I know), it will take care of that nonethless and you won't have anything to worry about.

The people who say you have 10% have no idea what they are talking about. I have a sibling and a very good friend who both go to BU and their credentials were around the same as yours. The fact that the info some people are providing isn't credible is evidenced through the fact that they are being malicious and even using other people's usernames. Just ignore them.

There ARE some things you can do to improve.

Trying getting at least one SAT II to a 700. a 700+ looks very strong and will give you a leg up. One way you can do this is get a good study guide. For writing, I and LOTS of other people on this message board would agree that Kaplan's SAT II writing book is AMAZING. Great review. I also recommend new books from SPARKNOTES which have just come out. They have one for writing and math 1C, but no literature. If I recall correctly they only sell those at Barnes and Noble but you can get the Kaplan's just about anywhere.

For your SAT, if you think a 1300 might be hard to get, try a tutor, a course (although I haven't tried it, I read an ad saying Kaplan has a class which will guarantee a 1400!) , and STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!

Studying for the remainder of the year, will have a lot to do with your future and admission to college. Don't give up! You'll regret it if you do.

Also, again, don't be discouraged by some of these posters trying to ruin your day. Also, if somebody uses my username and says something immature please ignore it. Thanks.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page