IVY LEAGUE APPLICANTS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: IVY LEAGUE APPLICANTS
By YALEAPP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Will a sibling currently attending Yale University help to persuade the admissions board's decision? Keep in mind he hasn't donated or graduated

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:34 pm: Edit

SHUT UP!!....we don't care about that snobby school!!!!

By Normal blows on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Yale is the finest institution in the country

By Normal has the right idea on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:38 pm: Edit

lol...keep what you're saying in perspective ...the rest of the country sees the institution you are going to as SNOBBY!!! read it and weep!! SNOBBY!

By YALE APP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Yes but those SNOBBY kids will own the rest of the country..MY LORD have you not seen the movie the SKULLS!??!

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

ok, no point in arguing with you...i don't care about that. Own the rest of the country?? HOW??

By Normal Blows--Yale app on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Yale students are the smartest kids in the country, among harvard, princeton, etc. You are using an availibility heuristic--how many kids do you know that go to yale? You ASSUME that all Yale kids are snobby, and perceive that they are all the same, however, what position are you in to stereotype?

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

huh...heuristic...that's kinda nerdy (or snobby in your case)...listen...i don't wanna argue (for your name u posted ur last response is snobby).....but the thing is...PEOPLE LIKE YOU ENHANCE THAT STEREOTYPE THAT KIDS WHO GO TO YALE ARE SNOBBY! NO OFFENSE!

By MEH on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I'm sorry I use terms that you are unfamiliar with, i guess i'll debase my own vocab because you are a moron. This is being arrogant by the way, and cocky, not snobbish. Snobbs walk around princeton, not yale

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

"debase my own vocab" lol

I know i'm not good at verbal on the sat...i didn't do to hot...but i was still better than 70% of the kids in the US...i did alot better in math to tell u that! Way better than you! (is that snobby or cocky now???)

SHUT UP NOW!

By lea on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Normal, you are awesome!!! finally somebody will tell these jokes to shut the F*CK up!!!! they need to brag about their "1600 SAT" and 10.9/4.0 to their gay nerd friends (if they even have that) who sit around fri nights playing calculator games...its pathetic really. i feel sorry for you people who are probably crying you didnt get into cornell, but i, who never studies, doesnt have great grades/SATs and goes out on the weekends, did. better luck with the state schools dorks. and I LOVE YOU "normal"!! we need take these people out one night and show them what a real party is!

By hahahaha on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:12 pm: Edit

lol, wow a partying nerd...must be like the bandos at my school...

By YALE APP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Yes but when we drive fast cars and pick up hot bitches when we are 26 because we are making "hella cash" we will own you lea, that's the entire point of attending such a fine university like Yale. By the way, Yale kids drink...in fact i've drunk with them!

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:14 pm: Edit

WE do...i just think it's hilarious to hear these people talk about themselves and their perfect SATs GPAs, math team, chess competition, etc.....lol...LMAO

P.S. I'm glad i have a supporter!

By yaleapp on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Not everyone at yale has perfect sat's, etc. They are looking for well rounded kids who deserve to be there--chill son. I sense some jealous of these kids, by the way

By nnn on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Hey guess what, applicants to Caltech, MIT, Harvard, and Princeton all have higher SAT scores than those to Yale. Yale is the IVY for the rich, the rest are for the smart

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:21 pm: Edit

is MIT considered ivy...i don't consider it in that snobby category really....MORE NERDY!

By YALEAPP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:24 pm: Edit

HAHA...by hook or by crook- We are living in a society based on prestige. Do you really think g bush could be president on his own merit? I THINK NOT! It's his status at Yale and his father that pulled the weight. So what your smarter kids are at cal, mit ...blah blah blah.. It's the Bulldogs that do something in their life.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Am I the only one who continues to notice that money and status seem to be the primary goal of many of the posters on this board? Do you really think that's all that matters? The fact that getting accepted to an elite institution is your OBSESSION only points to just how shallow you are.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Am I the only one who continues to notice that money and status seem to be the primary goal of many of the posters on this board? Do you really think that's all that matters? The fact that getting accepted to an elite institution is your OBSESSION only points to just how shallow you are.

By hmmm on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:27 pm: Edit

I notice that no one answered the question of the original poster. (I'd answer it if I knew what is considered a legacy)

By normal fan #2 on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

lol, yale app, "heuristic"? Please!!! We are on a message board. This is not the place to unleash your new vocabulary you picked up at kaplan or princeton review. Business in the real world is different. I know PhDs who haven't amounted to squat and ambitious state school grads that have gone on to become millionaires... yale doesn't necessarily equal fast cars and flocking ladies... could mean you go on to become a prof that makes a big $35,000 a year. OMG!!, let us all bow down to you!

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:31 pm: Edit

tru dat

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

hmmm.
1) is "nerd" being used as an insult here? because ouch, it really hurts. right here in the heart. really.
2) there are exceptions to every rule, but the statistics prove that, if one attends a "better" school, such as yale or harvard, one is more likely to get a "nicer," higher-paying job, (which, sadly, leads to "happiness" for some) directly out of college than if one attends a state school.
3) i'm not sure having a brother at yale would hold as much weight as having a parent/etc. who has made donations (the larger, the better), but it can't hurt! (this is really of no help, is it? sorry... i thought i'd try answering the question.)

By yaleapp on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:39 pm: Edit

YES THANK you for answering the original question..i had been wondering why the post got off on a tangent

By normal fan #2 on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:40 pm: Edit

go look at people magazine's top 50 richest... how many are from harvard or yale?

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:43 pm: Edit

I've read in one of my many admissions guides that ONLY parents count as legacies. Others have no effect, which stinks, my sister goes to Georgetown Med School....which I guess wouldn't make a difference if I am applying to SFS.

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:47 pm: Edit

normalfan, are you trying to make a point? to be among the 50 richest people, you have to have a lot of other factors, including business skills and dumb luck. that has nothing to do with your college. but, by statistics alone, ivy grads are "richer" (in general) than state school grads. it's pure fact. but, as i said before, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. some of the '50 richest people' didn't even go to college at all - does that mean a higher education won't help you to succeed?...

By Gregon on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Is it the school that makes people get better jobs? Or that the people who go to them are more talented and ambitious.

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:52 pm: Edit

also a good question.

By normal fan #2 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 07:09 pm: Edit

allison... funny you mention other factors such as "business skills"... harvard is the so called #1 graduate business school in the nation, is it not? You'd think harvard grads would be at the top of the list, if "business skills" are such a potent factor. From the sounds of it, yaleapp plans on making quite a bit for himself, so maybe he should just hope for some "dumb luck", eh? I agree with you that a good education will lead to, on average, a higher salary. I'm just trying to clear yaleboy's misconception that making Yale gaurantees "fast cars", "hot b*****s", and "hella cash". He could end up working under someone who didn't attend "such a fine university", as he says. Especially if he goes into business with the attitude that he owns everybody.

By Sar (Sar) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Hmmm. I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to waste time replying to this stuff.
Nope, it's not worth it.

I'm such a hypocrite. :)
yaleapp, I've heard that if a sibling or family member goes to a college the admis there would be more convinced that you are considering the school for more than just its Name. But this might not apply fully to ivy schools who are positively swamped with apps every year.

allison, you sound different.

"heuristic" is not all that uncommon a word. In fact, not many of the SAT words are from an arcane form of Ye Olde English (haha a double). They're just from different points of interest. Which isn't fair, granted, to those who like to keep their interests narrow, but since colleges like well-rounded kids anyway, I guess there isn't too much we can do.

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

sar, explain?

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

someone was posting as me last night after i went to bed. that could be why... but please explain what you mean.

By Forgodsakes on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:45 pm: Edit

OH FOR GOD SAKES
jeez man...u guyz are just too much...whatz with the money! havent u heard that money is the byproduct and not what u work for? If u dont go lookin for what u have, u can be rolling in cash and still be the unhappiest freak around..now just read my next post..not that im affected by it...but u guys should just stop with that obsession..if u get into ur dream school goood! ..if u dotn..its NOT THE END OF THE WORLD...jeez man...GET A LIFE

By Forgodsakes on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:47 pm: Edit

ok i dunno how true this is...and i certainly am not affected by it...but it may just amuse u guys out there..so read on and speculate! im not considering anything nor ar my decisions affected by this WIERD WIERD thing...but anyway...just read....

A very unusual convocation speech delivered by Larry Ellison, the maverick owner of Oracle, to Yale University Management Grads recently. I would love to hear your comments - pro or con.

"Graduates of Yale University, I apologize if you have endured this type of prologue before, but I want you to do something for me. Please, take a good look around you. Look at the classmate on your left. Look at the classmate on your right. Now, consider this: five years from now, 10 years from now, even 30 years from now, odds are the person on your left is going to be a loser. The person on your right, meanwhile, will also be a loser.
And you, in the middle? What can you expect? Loser. Loserhood. Loser Cum Laude.

"In fact, as I look out before me today, I don't see a thousand hopes for a bright tomorrow. I don't see a thousand future leaders in a thousand industries. I see a thousand losers.

You're upset. That's understandable. After all, how can I, Lawrence 'Larry' Ellison, college dropout, have the audacity to spout such heresy to the graduating class of one of the nation's most prestigious institutions?
I'll tell you why. Because I, Lawrence "Larry" Ellison, second richest man on the planet, am a college dropout, and you are not. "Because Bill Gates, richest man on the planet -- (for now, anyway) is a college dropout, and you are not. "Because Paul Allen, the third richest man on the planet, dropped out of college, and you did not. "And for good measure, because Michael Dell, No. 9 on the list and moving up fast, is a college dropout, and you, yet again, are not.

"Hmm... you're very upset. That's understandable. So let me stroke your egos for a moment by pointing out, quite sincerely, that your diplomas were not attained in vain. Most of you, I imagine, have spent four to five years here, and in many ways what you've learned and endured will serve you well in the years ahead. You've established good work habits. You've established a network of people that will help you down the road. And you've established what will be lifelong relationships with the word 'therapy.'
All that is good. For in truth, you will need that network. You will need those strong work habits. You will need that therapy.

"You will need them because you didn't drop out, and so you will never be among the richest people in the world. Oh sure, you may, perhaps, work your way up to No. 10 or No. 11, like Steve Ballmer. But then, I don't have to tell you who he really works for, do I? And, for the record, he dropped out of grad school. Bit of a late bloomer.

Finally, I realize that many of you, and hopefully by now most of you, are wondering, 'Is there anything I can do? Is there any hope for me at all?' Actually, no. It's too late. You've absorbed too much, think you know too much. You're not 19 any more. You have a built-in cap, and I'm not referring to the mortar boards on your heads.

"Hmm... you're really very upset. That's understandable. So perhaps this would be a good time to bring up the silver lining. Not for you, Class of '00. You are a write-off, so I'll let you slink off to your pathetic $200,000-a-year jobs, where your checks will be signed by former classmates who dropped out two years ago.

"Instead, I want to give hope to any underclassmen here today. I say to you, and I can't stress this enough: leave. Pack your things and your ideas and don't come back. Drop out. Start up.

"For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as surely as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me d.o.w..n.. !"

By Forgodsakes on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:49 pm: Edit

ok i dunno how true this is...and i certainly am not affected by it...but it may just amuse u guys out there..so read on and speculate! im not considering anything nor ar my decisions affected by this WIERD WIERD thing...but anyway...just read....

A very unusual convocation speech delivered by Larry Ellison, the maverick owner of Oracle, to ************ University Management Grads recently. I would love to hear your comments - pro or con.

"Graduates of ******* University, I apologize if you have endured this type of prologue before, but I want you to do something for me. Please, take a good look around you. Look at the classmate on your left. Look at the classmate on your right. Now, consider this: five years from now, 10 years from now, even 30 years from now, odds are the person on your left is going to be a loser. The person on your right, meanwhile, will also be a loser.
And you, in the middle? What can you expect? Loser. Loserhood. Loser Cum Laude.

"In fact, as I look out before me today, I don't see a thousand hopes for a bright tomorrow. I don't see a thousand future leaders in a thousand industries. I see a thousand losers.

You're upset. That's understandable. After all, how can I, Lawrence 'Larry' Ellison, college dropout, have the audacity to spout such heresy to the graduating class of one of the nation's most prestigious institutions?
I'll tell you why. Because I, Lawrence "Larry" Ellison, second richest man on the planet, am a college dropout, and you are not. "Because Bill Gates, richest man on the planet -- (for now, anyway) is a college dropout, and you are not. "Because Paul Allen, the third richest man on the planet, dropped out of college, and you did not. "And for good measure, because Michael Dell, No. 9 on the list and moving up fast, is a college dropout, and you, yet again, are not.

"Hmm... you're very upset. That's understandable. So let me stroke your egos for a moment by pointing out, quite sincerely, that your diplomas were not attained in vain. Most of you, I imagine, have spent four to five years here, and in many ways what you've learned and endured will serve you well in the years ahead. You've established good work habits. You've established a network of people that will help you down the road. And you've established what will be lifelong relationships with the word 'therapy.'
All that is good. For in truth, you will need that network. You will need those strong work habits. You will need that therapy.

"You will need them because you didn't drop out, and so you will never be among the richest people in the world. Oh sure, you may, perhaps, work your way up to No. 10 or No. 11, like Steve Ballmer. But then, I don't have to tell you who he really works for, do I? And, for the record, he dropped out of grad school. Bit of a late bloomer.

Finally, I realize that many of you, and hopefully by now most of you, are wondering, 'Is there anything I can do? Is there any hope for me at all?' Actually, no. It's too late. You've absorbed too much, think you know too much. You're not 19 any more. You have a built-in cap, and I'm not referring to the mortar boards on your heads.

"Hmm... you're really very upset. That's understandable. So perhaps this would be a good time to bring up the silver lining. Not for you, Class of '00. You are a write-off, so I'll let you slink off to your pathetic $200,000-a-year jobs, where your checks will be signed by former classmates who dropped out two years ago.

"Instead, I want to give hope to any underclassmen here today. I say to you, and I can't stress this enough: leave. Pack your things and your ideas and don't come back. Drop out. Start up.

"For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as surely as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me d.o.w..n.. !"

By Forgodsakes on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Ok what im driving at is not that u shouldnt go to grad school but hey, just stop right there. Which college u get into isnt THE thing in life. More has to do with u than the college u get into. If u rgood, no matter where...you will be successful..if u aint..oops sorry. But bad can always become good and vica versa. ITs all in the way u take life! SO GET A LIFE AND DONT OBSESS OVER STUFF. the more u obsess..they worse if there is some bad news comin ur way!

By not real on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:23 pm: Edit

I read that article on SatireWire.com and it's obviously intended as a joke. I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't stop obsessing (they should stop), but the article is fake anyways.

By david on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:29 pm: Edit

ivy - columbia,dartmouth,harvard,yale,princeton,cornell,u penn, brown

By URLOSERS on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 01:37 am: Edit

haha...those ivy league hermits wont achieve anything in life because they are too busy spending time memorizing the dictionary than actually attempting to be sociable, or what i would like to to call human...ur 1600 SAT scores wont mean jack when the person interviewing you for the position at goldman sachs hangs himself out of absolute boredom....call me a hypocrite got defferd from upenn, but i dont believe inthat ivy prestige bs. yale app needs a life...start saving up some cash now they might begin selling them one day..loser

By Forgodsakes on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 03:13 am: Edit

well it may be joke and all..but just read for god sakes... and PLZ STOP WITH THE OBSESSING

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page