LEGACY

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: LEGACY
By YaleAPP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:21 pm: Edit

I have a brother at Yale, and applied ED. Are my chances significantly higher because he is there, or is "legacy" only considered parents, g-parents, etc.

By harvardlegacy on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:36 pm: Edit

hey yale, dont give up hope. i got into harvard (b/c my dad went, gives $$ and interviews for them) and my scores suck compared to the people that are posting on this site. i am the first to admit i only got in b/c of this connection. so, having a sibling it still legacy, but they prefer parents/grandparents b/c of the money issue or whatever they have given to the school...especially at ivies where thats sort of a tradition to have 2nd/3rd generations get in. good luck!

By YaleAPP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:38 pm: Edit

thanks harvardlegacy, however, my brother is currently a junior at Yale--this makes me think that i wont be considered legacy because he hasn't handed over the big green $. My parents have donated money, annually but no significant figures, and my brother is a maven at Yale (the dean of the college knows him on a first name basis). I'm hoping it pulls some significant weight, but do you think it may pull at all?

By harvardlegacy on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:50 pm: Edit

yeah, the fact the dean knows him is DEFINITELY a plus for you. unfortunately, it all depends on how their committees decide-whether the dean actually has a say in the early stages or even knows you are applying. b/c normally, the admissions officers are young and they see the apps first without the dean knowing who's applying. so, if your bro mentioned to the dean you were applying, id say you are in. otherwise, you still have a better chance, and will get in over someone else with similar stats as you, especially since your parents have donated money.

By YALE APP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Thank you very much. It is comforting to hear that I have a chance, just beacuse the entire application process seems so bleak. I'm hoping one of the admission's officers knows my brother--he was selected out of the entire Yale student body to recite a Nathan Hale quote at the tercentennial in 2001. Don't take my wrong, my parents have donate like 50 dollars a year-haha-nothing SIGNIFICANT! Also, i come from the northern NJ, which is probably in contention for the most competitive areas in the country, and coming out of a school which is pretty well known at the ivies.

By YALE APP on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Thank you very much. It is comforting to hear that I have a chance, just beacuse the entire application process seems so bleak. I'm hoping one of the admission's officers knows my brother--he was selected out of the entire Yale student body to recite a Nathan Hale quote at the tercentennial in 2001. Don't take my wrong, my parents have donate like 50 dollars a year-haha-nothing SIGNIFICANT! Also, i come from the northern NJ, which is probably in contention for the most competitive areas in the country, and coming out of a school which is pretty well known at the ivies.

By hahaha on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:22 pm: Edit

lol, u guys are hilarious!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page