Help me out! Do I have a chance at MIT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Help me out! Do I have a chance at MIT?
By ooop on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Do I have any chance of getting into MIT or will my childhood dreams be shattered? Here are my stats.

ACT - 35 Math, 35 English, 30 Reading, 29 Sci Res.
32 Composite
SAT II- 770IIC, 660 Writing, 550 Chemistry
(I took the chemistry test after only half a semester of chemistry and MIT says that a majority of their applicants do this, so I don't think it will hurt me too much.)

3.98 UW GPA
Top of class
-National Honor Society
-4 years varsity soccer on one of the top teams in the state
-4 years math team - won regional math contest
-8 years band- 2nd chair trumpet player with numerous honors
-National Acheivement Academy for Mathmatics
-National Acheivement Academy for Band
-Part time job, full time job in the summer
-tons of volunteer time at local soccer fields

Took the toughest classes offered at my school, plus a class at my local community college.

Excellent reccomendations from teachers, decent essay (in my eyes), great interview,

Do I have a chance of should I be planning to attend Vanderbilt in the fall?

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Hey man, I'm really glad that there's somebody on this board that has something more than "perfect scores, captain of math team, and winner of chess nationals." THAT'S EXTREMELY NERDY AND DULL!! But you, on the other hand have some activites such as soccer (a state ranked team if you're not bsing). That will go in your favor. I have no clue if you will get accepted, but you do offer something more than the typical nerd wanting to go there. But, no offense, you did sound nerdy saying "this is my childhood dream school".

By ooop on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

I also the science club's vice-president and an active member of a Jr. Civitan club that has the biggest canned food drive in the world, if that helps. And I'm form Tennessee.

By blah on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

though sports do help....it's not like MIT is very athletically oriented; they do appreciate your involvement in many things but excellence in math + science is much more important. Then again, it seems like you got both...good luck!

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

sports don't help!!!! SHUT UP MAN, you are prob the typical nerd who is anti-athletic. At least this kid is involved in something else besides math and science. btw, every candidate at MIT likes math and science or is on a math/science team. A sport will separate the men from the boys!!! U loser, everyone who applies to MIT can do the work! They are looking for a different perspective!

By ooop on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input. In reponse to normal, I go to Columbia Academy and, in the past 3 years, my soccer team has gone to the state semi-finals, state quarter-finals, and state finals, respectively. We lost in overtime in the state finals last year.

By normal is right! on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I TOTALLY agree with normal here. MIT looks for involvement not only with school and clubs...but SPORTS...b/c i know there r very few nerdy jocks...if u know what i mean!

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:43 pm: Edit

that's great...i support you man! I hope you get in!!

By ooop on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Hey Normal, thanks for being supportive. I am really anxious about recieving the admissions decision. I applied early action and should get it any day now.

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:48 pm: Edit

sure thing...i hope u get in.

By Spell Master on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Hey ooop you really need to work on your spelling.
(form-from);(recieving-receiving)
Dude MIT has a rule that they only accept kids who can spell.

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:55 pm: Edit

omg....who are u to say that...this is typin' man...not talkin or actual essay writing...u don't like it, then get out, we r not all fast typers!

By Spell Master on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Oh did you mean-

???...Who are you to say that...this is typing man...not talking or actual essay writing...You do not like it, then get out, we are not all fast typers!

I thought so.

P.S. No offense, but you do not have much of a chance at too many colleges writing like that either.

By Normal on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I did it on purpose moron!! You must be pretty dull! No sense of humor!

By Spell Master on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Who doesn't have a sense of humor? Hey dude I am only in the 10th grade and I could care less about how you spell. I was just kidding, don't freak out!
You will probably get accepted, but I don't even know your stats.
Anyway GOOD LUCK!

By What? on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Hey shouldn't ya'll be focusing on the original post?

By allison on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:39 pm: Edit

yes. typos are no indicator of intelligence or personal character. i placed 2nd in the regional spelling bee (almost went to nationals!) and i'm not going to get in anywhere.
there's nothing wrong with vanderbilt, but don't give up on MIT - while it's always a crap-shoot, you never know what will happen... good luck!

By yep on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

as for SAT II Chem, I dunno if MIT really thinks that is "OK" despite half a semester of work.
I, too, just started taking chemistry this year but I scored 780 on it.
It's really about taking the time to study the books, not the class.
And you know what else? I got deferred by Cornell... but then again, my EC's weren't as strong as yours.
Good luck, I hope your outstanding EC's are enough to pull you through!

By Mike on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:07 am: Edit

Yeah man, you'll get into MIT, your SAT2 is one thing they really look at, although you probably should have pulled an 800. Anyway, why are you dropping from MIT to Vanderbilt? Why not go through the schools like Harvard, Dartmouth, Cornell, UPenn, and other schools in the region. You may get a better education plus actually have a little bit of fun, rather than at MIT where you have a 5% chance of killing yourself before midterms, just because of the pressure.

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:14 am: Edit

Hey buddy, if you're that good at soccer, you could be recruited maybe?? MIT has a DIII soccer program, so you should be able to make it if you played 4 years on the V-squad in high school.

By you will get in on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:50 am: Edit

You'll get into MIT. Enjoy it, i know i would if i could!

By bump on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:12 pm: Edit

bump

By ooop on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Does anyone else have opinions about my stats? I really want some more opinions.

By ooop on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:42 pm: Edit

one last call for your helpful insight!

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:47 pm: Edit

see if you can get another SAT II in, or don't send it... i'd be worried about it if i were you. but other than that, your stats look great! while i can't predict the future, i can say 'good luck'... go for it!

By damn on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:50 pm: Edit

When does MIT decisions come? Do they mail it friday or do you get them friday? Are there people who do not play for MIT and are not top 10% that get in?

By ooop on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Thanks Allison. You have been really helpful. Unfortunately, I have to send in those scores; they are required and I can't take them over because it is too late. I did explain to my interviewer that I was taking the test at a bad time because I was part of an experimental physics program that was not very heavy in mathmatics.

By ooop on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I don't know when the decisions are supposed to get in, but I have not heard anything official that makes Friday so special. Where did you get your infromation?

By bump on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Ooop (Ooop) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Would someone else please respond to my original post and tell me if I even have a prayer applying to MIT EA? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

By the.me on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:55 am: Edit

Schools like MIT are crazy and unpredictable. You wouldn't be in the top tier of students applying, but they don't seem to pick exclusively from that tier. Do you have a chance? Maybe. Should you apply? Absolutely. If you don't give it a try, you'll never know. Think of it as being a $60 lotto ticket. That you have to pay for if you win... ;)

Seriously though, I've heard stories of people with stats similar or lower than yours, with no legacy or ethnic pulls, who were accepted to schools like MIT.

By Hypcos on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Hey,think of it this way - if u don't get in - it's loss for MIT, not for u.

By Ooop (Ooop) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Agggh! When will I get my letter? And what will it say? The suspense is killing me!

By Ooop (Ooop) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Deffered from MIT. Do I have a chance in the regular applicant pool?

By wish i want a chink right about now on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

i was deferred too...

stats r..
800 math
640 verbal

800 math2c
700 physics
690 history

2nd in a class of 935 (yes its 935, not a typo)

i play badminton and bowling ... both varsity...

oh and im a chink.. which reduces my chances thanks to AA

ive heard some pretty perfect apps get deferred... dont get upset, ull prolly get in

By hey on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

stop saying chink...say chinese. You're not cool if you use racial slurs!

By df on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

just dont diss ghandis

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page