Is MIT or UCLA right for me??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Is MIT or UCLA right for me??
By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Here are my statistics----->

SAT I: Math (790) Verbal (780)
SAT II: Writing (760) Math2c (800) Physics(770)
GPA:4.0 uw,4.98 out of 5.0 weighted

ExtraC:
Varsity >-C-C-> (4 years)
Debate (V Pres this yr)(3 yrs)
Leo Club (Tres this yr)(4 yrs)
Chess Club (Pres 3 yrs)(4 yrs)
Student Gov. (member)(2 yrs)
National Honor Society (3 yrs)
Other honors...

I would like to major in an engineering field. Which school would be more practical for me to go to if I should get accepted to both??

By anonymous2 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 04:46 am: Edit

Well, as an engineer, I can tell you that you'll get paid about the same starting salary coming out with an engineering BS degree from either one.

If you go to MIT, you'll be surrounded by elite students such as yourself and will have to work your ass of to standout. At the end of 4 years, if you do well, you'll be able to go to whatever grad schools you want to in order to work your ass off for additional years. When you say that you went to MIT, people will be impressed and you will have learned a lot. Everybody that I know from MIT is proud and wears their MIT ring. Boston is a great college town, but it does get somewhat cold.

If you go to UCLA, people won't be quite as impressed, and you'll find a few more students struggling to make the grade. It'll be easier for you to stand out. You'll still work your ass off, but when you go outside, you'll see beautiful babes wearing enticing clothing and the sun will shine on you and you'll want to go to the beach.

So, in summary I would say that both schools would be practical. Unless you are from CA in which case it will be even more practical because it will mean that you are saving like $20K/yr.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page